Register

[SOLVED] AMD Radeon RX 570 Not displaying correctly

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX570
Hmm. I just installed a Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB card (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125966), and with nothing particular checked or selected in config.plist I get boot and the computer recognizes the card natively. Yay. For the most part everything works and seems much faster than my old Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti (which I loved but looks like Mojave will not support it.) It is connected via DP to MiniDP on my Dell U2715H monitor. The old DVI to HDMI that I used for the 750 Ti doesn't work. Not sure why except that it tells me not supported resolution(?).

But, in System preferences it shows up with a refresh rate of 59.88 Hertz (NTSC), and on screen I do not get sharp text (I'm referring specifically to the brownish artifacts on the text)->

IMG_3152.JPG

Also my Dell U2715H is set to YpbPr. If I set it to RGB the screen goes green. At boot, half way through I get that flash on the screen and then blank, but eventually it gets to desktop.

I've tried to add Lilu and WEG, no difference. I also edited config.plist to add framebuffer=Orinoco and checked Inject ATI, and RadeonDeint. Still the same.

I have completely uninstalled the old Nvidia drivers (including CUDA drivers). I have ordered a new DisplayPort cable in case that is the reason. I'll see tomorrow.

Any help or idea? I really don’t want to return this card.

EDIT 18-12-03:
After more testing, I have to check Inject ATI otherwise System Profiler only shows PCIe Lane Width: x2. With it checked it says x16

I've read through many more posts to see that he "flash" I'm seeing is a known problem and has to do with secondary load phase. Pretty awful if you ask me. My GTX 750 Ti didn't do that.

EDIT 18-12-03 B:
I got my new DP cable and that hasn’t fixed anything. It would seem that my monitor is being recognized as a TV monitor? All I get are NTSC and PAL options in Display preferences.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.49.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Please enter your hardware components in your Personal Details section of your account as per the Rules: Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for.
Desktop profile field recommendations:
  • Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader separated by "-", i.e. ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming - 1002 - Clover UEFI.
  • For Pre-built computers simply state the PC make model and form factor i.e. HP 8300 SFF - Dell 7010 MT etc.
  • CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
  • Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.

Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX560
Mac
MacBook Pro
@pkdesign or @trs96 sorry for joining an old thread but I am hoping you can tell us if your card is truely silent (fans stop) under load? Gigabyte advertise it but I am wondering if that is built into the card and works on macOS, or relies on some Windows utility so the fans actually run all the time on macOS?

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX570
Well I can’t tell you for sure because I do not look into the case, but my hardware monitoring app will show the fans at zero often. Then it might get up to 30-40%. So, I think they do indeed stop.

BTW I really don't tax my video card at all. I might use 500Mb of the 4Gb of memory. Utilization will show 1-5% under normal use!

Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX560
Mac
MacBook Pro
Well I can’t tell you for sure because I do not look into the case, but my hardware monitoring app will show the fans at zero often. Then it might get up to 30-40%. So, I think they do indeed stop.

BTW I really don't tax my video card at all. I might use 500Mb of the 4Gb of memory. Utilization will show 1-5% under normal use!
Thank. What hardware monitoring app do you use (assuming you mean on macOS)?