Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Hmm. I just installed a Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB card (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125966), and with nothing particular checked or selected in config.plist I get boot and the computer recognizes the card natively. Yay. For the most part everything works and seems much faster than my old Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti (which I loved but looks like Mojave will not support it.) It is connected via DP to MiniDP on my Dell U2715H monitor. The old DVI to HDMI that I used for the 750 Ti doesn't work. Not sure why except that it tells me not supported resolution(?).

But, in System preferences it shows up with a refresh rate of 59.88 Hertz (NTSC), and on screen I do not get sharp text (I'm referring specifically to the brownish artifacts on the text)->

IMG_3152.JPG

Also my Dell U2715H is set to YpbPr. If I set it to RGB the screen goes green. At boot, half way through I get that flash on the screen and then blank, but eventually it gets to desktop.

I've tried to add Lilu and WEG, no difference. I also edited config.plist to add framebuffer=Orinoco and checked Inject ATI, and RadeonDeint. Still the same.

I have completely uninstalled the old Nvidia drivers (including CUDA drivers). I have ordered a new DisplayPort cable in case that is the reason. I'll see tomorrow.

Any help or idea? I really don’t want to return this card.

EDIT 18-12-03:
After more testing, I have to check Inject ATI otherwise System Profiler only shows PCIe Lane Width: x2. With it checked it says x16

I've read through many more posts to see that he "flash" I'm seeing is a known problem and has to do with secondary load phase. Pretty awful if you ask me. My GTX 750 Ti didn't do that.

EDIT 18-12-03 B:
I got my new DP cable and that hasn’t fixed anything. It would seem that my monitor is being recognized as a TV monitor? All I get are NTSC and PAL options in Display preferences.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.49.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Please enter your hardware components in your Personal Details section of your account as per the Rules: Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for.
Desktop profile field recommendations:
  • Motherboard: limited to manufacturer, model, UEFI/BIOS version and boot loader separated by "-", i.e. ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming - 1002 - Clover UEFI.
  • For Pre-built computers simply state the PC make model and form factor i.e. HP 8300 SFF - Dell 7010 MT etc.
  • CPU: limited to model number and clock speed if over-clocked, i.e. i7-8700 or i7-8700K OC 4.5 GHz.
  • Graphics: limited to model, i.e. GTX 1070, R9 570, HD 4000, HD 630 or GTX 1060 / HD 630.

@pkdesign or @trs96 sorry for joining an old thread but I am hoping you can tell us if your card is truely silent (fans stop) under load? Gigabyte advertise it but I am wondering if that is built into the card and works on macOS, or relies on some Windows utility so the fans actually run all the time on macOS?

Well I can’t tell you for sure because I do not look into the case, but my hardware monitoring app will show the fans at zero often. Then it might get up to 30-40%. So, I think they do indeed stop.

BTW I really don't tax my video card at all. I might use 500Mb of the 4Gb of memory. Utilization will show 1-5% under normal use!

Well I can’t tell you for sure because I do not look into the case, but my hardware monitoring app will show the fans at zero often. Then it might get up to 30-40%. So, I think they do indeed stop.

BTW I really don't tax my video card at all. I might use 500Mb of the 4Gb of memory. Utilization will show 1-5% under normal use!
Thank. What hardware monitoring app do you use (assuming you mean on macOS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back