Contribute
Register

[solved] Alienware 15 R2 install EI capitan&install Mac Sierra Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi slayer23a. Could you please post your updated EFI partition files? I have the alienware 15r2 and installed macos Sierra. I used your EFI files already in your last post but after installing Nvidia drivers I started to get the same kernel panic as you had, with message about Intel graphics. Also, I could not get sound working. My model has 6700hq processor, 970m and sound blaster recon3di .

Thanks in advance.

I will post the updated files once i get back to home. This issue can sometimes happen and a quick fix is to boot to Windows first, then restart and boot Sierra (without shutdown in between). Not sure yet about the cause of this issue but among other things that solved it was renaming GFX0 to IGPU in all the ACPI tables.

Other than that, what version of Sierra are you on ? (the 10.12.1 or 10.12.0). I already updated my Applehda to the latter version.

I will post the updated files once i get back to home. This issue can sometimes happen and a quick fix is to boot to Windows first, then restart and boot Sierra (without shutdown in between). Not sure yet about the cause of this issue but among other things that solved it was renaming GFX0 to IGPU in all the ACPI tables.

Other than that, what version of Sierra are you on ? (the 10.12.1 or 10.12.0). I already updated my Applehda to the latter version.

I'm using 10.12.1. It really works when booting windows and rebooting into macOS but then I get no network.

Another thing I'm testing right now: I changed from Macbook Pro 11,1 to iMac 17,1 and then I could cold boot into macOS without going into windows first and I got network (Atheros) working again.

EDIT: false alarm. Just restarted and got same problem again. I suspect the Nvidia drivers to be the culprit. I'll uninstall them and try again.

I'm in doubt if I can get HDMI video output working. My model has Intel HD 530 and I don't know if my HDMI port is linked to nvidia like your model. I don't care about HDMI audio. Video is enough for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm using 10.12.1. It really works when booting windows and rebooting into macOS but then I get no network.

Another thing I'm testing right now: I changed from Macbook Pro 11,1 to iMac 17,1 and then I could cold boot into macOS without going into windows first and I got network (Atheros) working again.

EDIT: false alarm. Just restarted and got same problem again. I suspect the Nvidia drivers to be the culprit. I'll uninstall them and try again.

I'm in doubt if I can get HDMI video output working. My model has Intel HD 530 and I don't know if my HDMI port is linked to nvidia like your model. I don't care about HDMI audio. Video is enough for me.

Thanks!
Ok, 1st thing, our Nvidia graphic card is the only one used to control Audio and Video through HDMI, so you should not have any problems to get it work. Without kext patching you won't be able to get it work as iMac 17,1. So first use this app AGDPfix.app.zip attached (from here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-with-macpro-6-1-or-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/).
This will fix your problem with HDMI video out not working with an iMac 17,1 smbios.

Then try these ACPI tables (remove everything inside your /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and copy the ones attached inside). Use kext utility to repair your kexts and rebuild cache.

Also attached the updated version of AppleHDA for 10.12.1 (again, credits to wern apfel).

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• AGDPfix.app.zip
    79 KB · Views: 156
  • ACPI Tables.zip
    67.8 KB · Views: 104
  • AppleHDA.kext_10.12.1_Alienware.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
I'll try these files. I updated the system definition for iMac 17,1 just as an attempt to get things to work. I have no problem using the MacbookPro 11,1 definition if this helps.

Thanks again.

I'll try these files. I updated the system definition for iMac 17,1 just as an attempt to get things to work. I have no problem using the MacbookPro 11,1 definition if this helps.

Thanks again.

Hi! I changed system definition to macbook pro 11.1, followed your instructions and I got my system booting again and I have almost everything working, including HDMI video out.

I just got something strange: one of my USB ports is not working (left side, the one near audio jacks). Should I change anything in SSDT?

EDIT: got audio working!

Thanks, you helped a lot!

Last edited:
Hi! I changed system definition to macbook pro 11.1, followed your instructions and I got my system booting again and I have almost everything working, including HDMI video out.

I just got something strange: one of my USB ports is not working (left side, the one near audio jacks). Should I change anything in SSDT?

Audio still not working. Is it because I put AppleHDA.kext inside kexts/Other in Clover EFI partition? Shouldn't this kext be injected anyway? (Inject Kexts in Clover is set to Yes, not Detect).

Thanks, you helped a lot!
Better stay with iMac 17,1 since its the only skylake system available in Smbios (so far) and the closest to our laptop in hardware. Using AGDPfix you will be able to get HDMI video out working even with that system.

Other than that, just tested the USBs, in fact all of them work, but it looks like the one you mentioned only works with USB 3.0 devices. Plugging a USB 2.0 one will have no effect. Maybe further debugging will be required. THE SSDT-4 is the one used to activate/disable USBs but I don't have time right now to further experiment with it.

Also make sure to generate an ssdt.aml specific to your CPU, forgot to mention that the last ACPI tables i provided included a SSDT.aml for a 6820HK CPU.

Note: In order to have full acceleration with the NVidia graphics when using HDMI video out is to remove InjectIntel from clover on boot. You can test that when you get at the Clover boot menu, go to options, graphics then uncheck Inject Intel.

Upon boot the internal display will stay black (only external HDMI display will work), but you will see a huge improvement in smoothness!

Better stay with iMac 17,1 since its the only skylake system available in Smbios (so far) and the closest to our laptop in hardware. Using AGDPfix you will be able to get HDMI video out working even with that system.

Other than that, just tested the USBs, in fact all of them work, but it looks like the one you mentioned only works with USB 3.0 devices. Plugging a USB 2.0 one will have no effect. Maybe further debugging will be required. THE SSDT-4 is the one used to activate/disable USBs but I don't have time right now to further experiment with it.

Also make sure to generate an ssdt.aml specific to your CPU, forgot to mention that the last ACPI tables i provided included a SSDT.aml for a 6820HK CPU.

Note: In order to have full acceleration with the NVidia graphics when using HDMI video out is to remove InjectIntel from clover on boot. You can test that when you get at the Clover boot menu, go to options, graphics then uncheck Inject Intel.

Upon boot the internal display will stay black (only external HDMI display will work), but you will see a huge improvement in smoothness!

I'll try these changes mentioned. Right now I'm using the integrated display also (two displays extended setup) for work but if I need to extract some more performance I'll try booting with intel disabled.

Thank you so much!

Delete

Last edited:
I've been able to use other people's files to boot into the installer, but I haven't been able to create a bootable USB following any of the guides and tips I've come across. I want to be able to create my own bootable USB install thumbdrive to learn about the process.

I've looked at everything in this thread, the Skylake threads, the USBInjectAll readme on the git repo, the USB problems for 10.11 thread. I've run out of new guides to try so I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I'm stuck at this kernel panic shown in the attached screenshot.

What did you gys do to get past the USB problems and create your boot USB?
What step did I miss?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20161103_233057.jpg
    20161103_233057.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 109
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 105
I've been able to use other people's files to boot into the installer, but I haven't been able to create a bootable USB following any of the guides and tips I've come across. I want to be able to create my own bootable USB install thumbdrive to learn about the process.

I've looked at everything in this thread, the Skylake threads, the USBInjectAll readme on the git repo, the USB problems for 10.11 thread. I've run out of new guides to try so I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I'm stuck at this kernel panic shown in the attached screenshot.

What did you gys do to get past the USB problems and create your boot USB?
What step did I miss?

Thanks!

What kind of SSD is installed in the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back