Contribute
Register

Snow Leopard to Mavericks upgrade stalled at MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something ain't right here, it doesn't want to boot into the Snow Leopard restore on the SSD. I'm beginning to think it must be a BIOS setting or something. The BIOS itself is about 2 releases behind, so I don't know whether it will make a difference in flashing - nothing to lose at this point anyway.

Here's a few screen shots:

BIOS Settings

Hackintosh-BIOS-01.jpg

Hackintosh-BIOS-02.jpg

Hackintosh-BIOS-03.jpg

iBoot Screen

Hackintosh-iBoot.jpg

Of course, I could just try a drive wipe and clean install of Mavericks and see if that boots, but I was hoping to get the old Snow Leopard back up to check out that /Extra folder.

Your BIOS settings look OK to me. I think your main problem at this point is the GTX740. There is no support for this card until you get to Mavericks. As for what is in the /Extra folder on the SSD, can you find a way to connect the drive to one of your Macs? If so then you have access right there. You can usually find SATA to USB adapters at your local computer/electronics store, whether that be Micro Center or Best Buy or Radio Shack.

Right then, I'll get that SATA drive caddied and check out the folder structure on my iMac. I am guessing that MultiBeast is changed frequently to add the known hardware compatible with OSX and this also makes the entries needed in the DSDT file.

Right then, I'll get that SATA drive caddied and check out the folder structure on my iMac. I am guessing that MultiBeast is changed frequently to add the known hardware compatible with OSX and this also makes the entries needed in the DSDT file.
DSDT.aml is a file you have to edit yourself. There is no provision in any of the tools on this site for editing a DSDT.
For older AMI BIOS suggest you get DSDTSE editor by EvOSoft which you can download from many places - just google for it.

Right then, I guess once I get to the original file on the original install I can see what it looks like opened up in an editor. Then I guess I have to work out what I need to tell the OSX about the new video card - if that's where driver information is kept.

Right then, I guess once I get to the original file on the original install I can see what it looks like opened up in an editor. Then I guess I have to work out what I need to tell the OSX about the new video card - if that's where driver information is kept.

No, the DSDT.aml can be used without further editing once patched the first time. I am using the same DSDT in Yosemite that I patched for Snow Leopard and it works just fine.
There is no driver info in the DSDT for GPU - that is done in the kexts in S/L/E.

Try installing and selecting EasyBeast in MultiBeast. This selection should get you to desktop and you can then add selections for audio and networking.

Well, this is a pig of a build to get the SSD out of! A drive caddy that wants a gazillion screws and brackets to get it out - no Dell easy clip-off-slide-out!

Anyway, it mounted and I've copied the Extra folder to my local storage.

I can see the .plist files are just XML and there is a DSDT.aml file.

So, it's back to the original advice on the thread where the Extra folder was first mentioned and another install!

Hell of a learning curve this...:mrgreen:

Well, this is a pig of a build to get the SSD out of! A drive caddy that wants a gazillion screws and brackets to get it out - no Dell easy clip-off-slide-out!

Anyway, it mounted and I've copied the Extra folder to my local storage.

I can see the .plist files are just XML and there is a DSDT.aml file.

So, it's back to the original advice on the thread where the Extra folder was first mentioned and another install!

Hell of a learning curve this...:mrgreen:

Yeah, but that is what makes it so much fun. You learned something about hardweare and a will continue to learn about the software end and how they interact. It is a never ending adventure.

Well....what a challenge....

The fresh install of MAvericks stalled as well, so I tried one last thing, a BIOS update.

Well, this piece of crap was running on an old version, so I flashed with the latest update and guess what...we have boot to Mavericks finishing installation!

The game isn't over yet, but maybe there is mileage in making sure that if it's an old board, update the Goddamn BIOS anyway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back