Contribute
Register

Snow Leopard to Mavericks upgrade stalled at MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think I’ve had so much ‘fun’ since wrestling with an old IBM AS400 – but that’s another book of stories…

One of the guys at work got somebody to build him a Hackintosh with the following specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Intel Q6600
Graphics: original one died and owner replaced with ‘EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked’ – hence the current need to update O/S
Boot HDD: Intel SSDSA2CW080G3 80 GB
RAM: 8Gb (4 x slots of DDR2)

He has 2 other HDD’s in there for storage and they’re not under any RAID config.

This hardware was installed with Snow Leopard and the guy who built it for him warned him not to install any of the future Apple security updates in case it broke the OS/Hardware relationship. Anyway, a few weeks ago, the original graphics card died and he replaced it himself with the one in the above list. However, this caused some problems with certain applications reporting that they couldn’t run due to a graphics problem which has pushed the issue of an upgrade.

Seeing as I am the IT guy at work, I said I’d have a look and figured on following the UniBeast guide to installing Mavericks on any supported Intel based PC.

The first thing I did was to create a Time Machine backup onto one of his other storage drives before doing any other messing about.

I successfully created the USB boot stick, went through the Award BIOS recommended settings and booted to Chimera with no problems and got to the install screen for Mavericks. As this was supposed to be an attempted upgrade, I bypassed the drive formatting and chose to install to the only available option, SSD1. Looking at the install log, it seemed to know about a previous installation and went through the process until reboot was necessary.

This was according to the guide, the post-installation MultiBeast part of the process, but all I got after booting to Chimera and choosing the Mavericks install was the grey screen, Apple logo & spinner for the some 12 hours…

At that point I realised there was something wrong and accidentally discovered how add boot commands at the invisible command line (that would be a useful addition to the guide). Doing a bit of Googling, I learned about the –v –f –x flags and also the -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 that had reported to work with a Mavericks install and this Mobo. However, it still stops in verbose mode and I can’t get to MultiBeast to finish off the install.

I’m out of ideas/losing the will to live so, I am asking the following:

1. Is there any point continuing to fight with this in-place upgrade on this old hardware?
  2. Would it be better to erase the partition and try a fresh install of Mavericks?
  3. Is this hardware too old for the newer OS/X in general (I’ll bung Win 7 on if it is and be done with it)?

Although there are 3 Mac’s in my home, my dayjob is Windows servers/desktops and this Apple thing seems to be about the most inflexible mono-culture to be fighting with, but what the heck, I might learn something new!

Are you able to boot the machine and get to desktop at all? If not, suggest you restore from backup, then copy off the /Extra folder to external storage. Then do a format and clean install of Mavericks or Yosemite.
Or, here is a suggestion: You say you have several Macs in the house - then get a USB to SATA connector or USB external drive case, connect up your drive from the PC-Mac, connect that to a Mac, download the install app and install it straight to the PC-Mac drive.

Then you can install the drive in the PCMac, use the UniBeast install USB to boot the drive and run MultiBeast to install the boot loader and audio/networking kexts.

Check the old /Extra file in external storage and copy any DSDT or SSDT file you find to the new /Extra folder that MultiBeast created for you. You might also want to compare the entries in the org.chameleon.boot.plist with the .plist in the old /Extra folder.

If no DSDT/SSDT, then you might need to install NullCPU power management kext.

Brilliant answer! thanks for that. I will try option A as I cannot boot to desktop at all.

I can see there's a lot of emphasis here on fooling the OS about the hardware it's dealing with and that there is much depending on the DSDT information. Quite different to Windows that sames to take on all comers as far as hardware is concerned - Microsoft HCL approved or not.

As I have basically zero understanding of the relationship that Mac OS has with hardware communication, I am I correct in guessing that once OSX and hardware are communicating normally, that relationship is pretty much set in stone? I mean, I'm struggling to see how OSX security updates would break a Hackintosh, unless they were deliberately targetting a vulnerability that changed the way that the OS communicated with the hardware? A complete OSX upgrade, yes, I can see that being a whole new ball game, but surely normal security updates shouldn't break a Hackintosh install?

Anyway, thanks again for the pointers, I am clearly going to need to understand some more about that /Extra folder...

Well, the Time Machine backup went on ok, so I tried to boot from the SSD but it wouldn't boot.

So I booted into Chimera and it gave me the option to boot to Snow Leopard from the SSD. Unfortunately, it hung on the Apple logo and spinner, so I rebooted in verbose mode and can see it is failing at exactly the same point as it failed at after the Mavericks in-place upgrade.

So I have Mavericks upgrade and the original Snow Leopard restore both failing at the same point which to me, says that there is a hardware problem somewhere.

Two things I wish I had done in addition to making the Time Machine backup:

1. Made a copy of the /Extra folder from the original bootable installation.
  2. Gone through the BIOS settings and recorded them.

Obviously the Time Machine backup has restored the image of what it took before the upgrade attempt, but I don't have any idea what the BIOS settings were :oops:

I guess I could try a clean install on the SSD with an erase and fresh partition, but I'm kind of expecting the post install to stall in the same way. Snw-Lpd-Restore-Boot.jpg

Last edited:
Time machine restore will not boot because it cannot restore the boot loader.
Burn a copy of iBoot to CD and boot the TM restored drive with that.

Aha...right, so TM isn't like using Acronis on a Windows machine then...Apple have really got this locked down, just when you thought you had the keys to the door...

Aha...right, so TM isn't like using Acronis on a Windows machine then...Apple have really got this locked down, just when you thought you had the keys to the door...
Not a real problem. Just use the iBoot or iBoot Legacy CD to boot with and finish up by running MultiBeast to install boot loader.

This build has a DVD RW hung off a SATA cable and it wouldn't boot the iBoot CD!

Anyway, a USB CD drive got it booting at least...

When it boots from the iBoot CD, I take it I select iBoot as the option, not the SSD or USB?
When it boots from the iBoot CD, just select your Snow Leopard icon and hit enter. Whether that is the SSD or HDD I can't tell from here.

Once at the desktop you can use MultiBeast to install Chimera again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back