Motherboard
Medion Akoya P6638
CPU
i3 3120M
Graphics
GT635M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I'm new to the Hackintosh scene, and I wanted to install Mac OS on my "old" Laptop, so I bought the Snow Leopard install disk from Apple, since I have no access to a Mac.
It' a Medion Akoya P6638:

Intel core i3 3120M
nVidia geForce GT635M
4GB Ram
a Motherboard of which I don't know what it is, but it has the Aptio Setup Utility by AMI
1TB HDD

Now, when I was in iBoot I put in the OS X Disk, launched it and installed it. I set the partition to only 100 GB because it is only a step to download El Capitan.
It installed just fine, said install complete, need to reboot. I did reboot, my laptop said no boot disk so I put in iBoot and when it is loading iBoot it just shows the iBoot CD, not the Snow Leopard installed.
I tried to install it three times with the same result. On the third one I actually saw that the drive was used 4.5 GB or so, so it must have been installed.
Any ideas how I can launch it? Or can is there any way I can skip Snow Leopard and Download High Sierra or at leas El Capitan without a Mac?

I really hope someone can help me, because I just erased Elementary OS in favor for MacOS and I dont want to go through the install of that again.

Oh, and I have unfortunately overseen the Desktop only rule in the Post Installation Forum, which I btw. don't like, but can someone tell me how to remove it? Even though I don't think that this has necessarily something to do with it being a Laptop.

Regards CubeHD

Hi, I'm new to the Hackintosh scene, and I wanted to install Mac OS on my "old" Laptop, so I bought the Snow Leopard install disk from Apple, since I have no access to a Mac.
It' a Medion Akoya P6638:

Intel core i3 3120M
nVidia geForce GT635M
4GB Ram
a Motherboard of which I don't know what it is, but it has the Aptio Setup Utility by AMI
1TB HDD

Now, when I was in iBoot I put in the OS X Disk, launched it and installed it. I set the partition to only 100 GB because it is only a step to download El Capitan.
It installed just fine, said install complete, need to reboot. I did reboot, my laptop said no boot disk so I put in iBoot and when it is loading iBoot it just shows the iBoot CD, not the Snow Leopard installed.
I tried to install it three times with the same result. On the third one I actually saw that the drive was used 4.5 GB or so, so it must have been installed.
Any ideas how I can launch it? Or can is there any way I can skip Snow Leopard and Download High Sierra or at leas El Capitan without a Mac?

I really hope someone can help me, because I just erased Elementary OS in favor for MacOS and I dont want to go through the install of that again.

Oh, and I have unfortunately overseen the Desktop only rule in the Post Installation Forum, which I btw. don't like, but can someone tell me how to remove it? Even though I don't think that this has necessarily something to do with it being a Laptop.

Regards CubeHD

Probably best to start with newer macOS/OS X and Clover...

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Hi,
First: thanks for the answer, but I does not really help.
Yes I can edit my profile but as I said in the beginning of my post: I don't have access to a Mac. In the FAQ it says that I have to go from Snow Leopard, as I did.
Besides for me, using linux systems for a long time, this looks to me like an iBoot issue. I had a similar problem before, when after installing Linux Mint on a tablet the GRUB Bootloader would load, but not show the Mint installation. Just like here, where iBoot doesn't show the complete installation.
Also when I watched Videos on YT, I saw that for many people the Snow Leopard installation said it failed, when I actually worked. For me it showed that the installation was successful.
Should I post the install log maybe?

Regards CubeHD

UPDATE/EDIT (9:07 CET): Mac OS X is definitely installed properly. When in the installer I can find the installed OS in the start disk selector, which is of course not working.
Is there a way to manually tell iBoot where the installation is? Like in the help there is something like "mach_kernel rd=disk0s2" can I somehow find out which disk and partition I need to use? Or can I somehow get a bootloader on the HDD by using a USB stick and the Terminal in the installer?

Last edited:
Hi,
First: thanks for the answer, but I does not really help.
Yes I can edit my profile but as I said in the beginning of my post: I don't have access to a Mac. In the FAQ it says that I have to go from Snow Leopard, as I did.
Besides for me, using linux systems for a long time, this looks to me like an iBoot issue. I had a similar problem before, when after installing Linux Mint on a tablet the GRUB Bootloader would load, but not show the Mint installation. Just like here, where iBoot doesn't show the complete installation.
Also when I watched Videos on YT, I saw that for many people the Snow Leopard installation said it failed, when I actually worked. For me it showed that the installation was successful.
Should I post the install log maybe?

Regards CubeHD

UPDATE/EDIT (9:07 CET): Mac OS X is definitely installed properly. When in the installer I can find the installed OS in the start disk selector, which is of course not working.
Is there a way to manually tell iBoot where the installation is? Like in the help there is something like "mach_kernel rd=disk0s2" can I somehow find out which disk and partition I need to use? Or can I somehow get a bootloader on the HDD by using a USB stick and the Terminal in the installer?

Not sure why you're using iBoot instead of iBoot Ivy.
Your SL DVD is from Apple?
Make sure "fast boot" is disabled in BIOS.

Note: Easier to borrow a Mac from someone you know.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes I am using iBoot Ivy-Bridge, iBoot 3.3.0 didn't load the installer at all.
The DVD is directly from Apple, but when I looked at it, I saw that this must have been used like 100000 times, since there are scratches all over the DVD and for me it's more like a wonder that it even loaded the installer.
I will now try to install it in a VM on my Ubuntu Desktop and download El Capitan from there. If it doesn't work either I asume the disk is broken and I'll try to send it back to Apple.
And fast boot is definitely disabled, since I used Windows/Elementary OS dual boot on it before. With fast boot Windows would block my data partition from using it in Elementary.

Btw. I found one person I know having an iMac, but he lives like 600km away, and I don't want to drive there like 7 hours just for this experiment.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes I am using iBoot Ivy-Bridge, iBoot 3.3.0 didn't load the installer at all.
The DVD is directly from Apple, but when I looked at it, I saw that this must have been used like 100000 times, since there are scratches all over the DVD and for me it's more like a wonder that it even loaded the installer.
I will now try to install it in a VM on my Ubuntu Desktop and download El Capitan from there. If it doesn't work either I asume the disk is broken and I'll try to send it back to Apple.
And fast boot is definitely disabled, since I used Windows/Elementary OS dual boot on it before. With fast boot Windows would block my data partition from using it in Elementary.

Btw. I found one person I know having an iMac, but he lives like 600km away, and I don't want to drive there like 7 hours just for this experiment.

Strange your SL DVD would be that scratched if it was brand new from Apple?!

That is what I thought, but I can assure you that I bought directly from the Apple Store Online. I will contact them and ask for a new Disk, then I'll try again.
Still, thanks for your answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back