Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steve,

StarbucksSteve said:
Looking at your IOReg, I see VoodooHDA for audio. I am assuming that is because of the iBoot CD you're using and that you have installed the audio that I provided. If so, booting from the hard drive should improve things immensely. If not, I would recommend removing the VoodooHDA; it is not stable for our installs.
Sorry for taking long time.. I've been setting hard drive chimera boot due to unrecognized devices(since the kext were all inside iBoot but not in chimera boot).. What I found out by booting from hard drive chimera is that, by changing/updating smbios.plist didnt make any different to osx.. It seems heavily depends on dsdt.aml..

If I enable your dsdt, my usb, bluetooth devices were available except sound device.. but if I disable/ignore the dsdt, my usb, bluetooth were disabled/not exist and the jerky/clicking sound device becomes available..

There was no VoodooHDA in hard drive extensions folder, I found out it was inside iBoot.. I had to install most kexts from iBoot to osx in order for those devices to be recognized but again it heavily depends on the dsdt..

StarbucksSteve said:
I am still looking at video; that will be a bit of a science project since I do not have a matching machine.
I've been tinkering with the problematic kexts with no positive result..

Hi Steve,

At one time, I managed to get the audio working without clicking sound by remove VoodooHDA and reinstall it and also playing with cache/permission.. But I tried to replicate it again resulting the same clicking sound.. The sound part of dsdt is working fine, and I believe something else is causing this clicking/jerky sound.. maybe ordering of the kext during loading, or cpu or other kext, I dont know..

StarbucksSteve said:
flamandu said:
Sorry for "traspassing" but I would like to know what kind of audio kext does iboot use ? In my case they work flawlessly. The voodoohda kexts are not working properly, i always hear clicky sounds....

thanks

The iBoot 3.1 CD contains 58 kexts including VoodooHDA (0.2.1). It also uses an IOAudioFamily kext and there may be others which affect your audio quality; what is your device ID? It may be available in your IORegistry under HDEF ... /Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.app

Steve

Sorry for taking me this long to reply.

I've been trying all kind of stuff to sort my audio and all i can say is that if i install os x snow leopard without my audio jack plugged in the back my audio works "better" than before but not properly. Before i used this method during the boot i could hear a big pop-up in my speakers. I'm using voodoo 0.2.1

Now i don't hear that anymore however the sound ain't working 100%. I still hear the clicky sounds if i play some music in itunes...

In my system report in the audio tab i have Intel High definition Audio, Device id 12.....

I've looked for ioreg tool but can't find it.... I'm on os x lion and i'm using an patched dsdt for my system using dsdt patch.

StarbucksSteve said:
The iBoot 3.1 CD contains 58 kexts including VoodooHDA (0.2.1). It also uses an IOAudioFamily kext and there may be others which affect your audio quality; what is your device ID? It may be available in your IORegistry under HDEF ... /Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.app

Steve
Just to clarify something, My audio was working perfect when i used iboot as bootloader....My audio isn't working properly when i boot from the HD....

DarienPro said:
Hi Steve,

At one time, I managed to get the audio working without clicking sound by remove VoodooHDA and reinstall it and also playing with cache/permission.. But I tried to replicate it again resulting the same clicking sound.. The sound part of dsdt is working fine, and I believe something else is causing this clicking/jerky sound.. maybe ordering of the kext during loading, or cpu or other kext, I dont know..

Here is a list of kexts provided which you should be using with my no_ehc_dsdt ... none of these address video:

myKexts.png

Steve

Attachments

• myKexts.png
    myKexts.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 217
StarbucksSteve said:
Here is a list of kexts provided which you should be using with my no_ehc_dsdt ... none of these address video:

myKexts.png

Yes Steve, the same kexts are used as in StevesExtra folder, except AppleHDA (AppleHDAPlatformDriver to be exact) which failed to be loaded during hard drive chimera boot.. It keep stuck/hang during loading AppleHDA (AppleHDAPlatformDriver) when I force -f, thus I have to remove it.. I think this is the reason why I have to use VoodooHDA (clicking/jerky sound - at one time it manage to sound perfectly, as soon as I restart it happen again and I cant replicate it no more) instead of AppleHDA.. I think this causing Dell_XPS_ALC665 to be ignored as it depends on AppleHDA..

DarienPro said:
Yes Steve, the same kexts are used as in StevesExtra folder, except AppleHDA (AppleHDAPlatformDriver to be exact) which failed to be loaded during hard drive chimera boot.. It keep stuck/hang during loading AppleHDA (AppleHDAPlatformDriver) when I force -f, thus I have to remove it.. I think this is the reason why I have to use VoodooHDA (clicking/jerky sound - at one time it manage to sound perfectly, as soon as I restart it happen again and I cant replicate it no more) instead of AppleHDA.. I think this causing Dell_XPS_ALC665 to be ignored as it depends on AppleHDA..

So when you boot from the hard drive do you use any parms? The hard drive boot should not require any parms like -v -x -f or any other override ...

Steve

sirushtim said:
So, how much battery life are you guys getting? ;)

I'm not a good reference; I use it very little. I have run a test which suggested (I did not let it run down) that I would get about 4 hours with the display off. Less than 1.5 with display on and full CPU/GPU load. As the display does not yet dim and the machine does not yet sleep, I really cannot rely on those numbers ...

Steve

Hello all,

I've been following Steve's guide (nice work btw) and I'm at the point where I should boot with regular iBoot (NOT legacy) from the drive that is updated to 10.6.8 and that had the nvidia update as well. At this boot I'm getting a panic:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA(0.2.1)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6.5)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.3fc2)
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.3fc2)
dependency: com.apple.kext.OSVKernDSPLib (1.3)

I've got ALC665...

Thanks in advance

mmvie said:
Hello all,

I've been following Steve's guide (nice work btw) and I'm at the point where I should boot with regular iBoot (NOT legacy) from the drive that is updated to 10.6.8 and that had the nvidia update as well. At this boot I'm getting a panic:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA(0.2.1)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6.5)
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.3fc2)
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.3fc2)
dependency: com.apple.kext.OSVKernDSPLib (1.3)

I've got ALC665...

Thanks in advance

It just panic randomly.. just reboot and try again.. if you have dual partition, reboot to the other one and reboot again to the panic partition, it will solve it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back