Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your help.. Im on A12 Bios.. I've tried both dsdt from you, but it's still the same garbles about 1/3 of the screen vertically:
160820112972.jpg

During the iBoot, i saw missing ssdt.aml:
Capture.01.JPG

StarbucksSteve said:
Motorola something? Weird ...
The one I removed were MotorolaSM56KUSB.kext (I dont have such device internally or externally) and AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext, only then it progressing..

StarbucksSteve said:
Have you visited the L502x thread on InsanelyMac? For the intel HD 3000.
Yes, I have tried that fix on dsdt.dsl, but still the same, garbles on 1/3 of the screen vertically just about DSMOS has arrived.. The only different is that, the harddisk activity a bit longer when I applied the fixed..

StarbucksSteve said:
With this DSDT, if you installed my Audio, your Audio should now be good.
Didnt have the chance to test this as it didnt managed to get into desktop..

StarbucksSteve said:
you do not need EvoReboot.
I have removed this kext..

Attachments

• 160820112972.jpg
    160820112972.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Capture.01.JPG
    Capture.01.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 150
DarienPro said:
During the iBoot, i saw missing ssdt.aml:

You can ignore this with the iBoot CD.

I understood you got the 10.6.8 to boot; if so and you did the install of final kexts then you should be able to boot w/o a boot CD. The iBoot CD will interfere with things as it is not 64-bit. Your com.apple.Boot.plist suggests a 64-bit, hard-drive boot.

If you have not gotten 10.6.8 to boot at all please say so; I have obviously confused myself.

The DSDT I sent you contains no video changes as there are none which are necessary; it contains the audio changes only and can be used with either SL install, 10.6.3 or 10.6.8, as well as LION. Rename the no_ehc_dsdt.aml file to dsdt.aml and drop it in your /Extra.

What smbios are you using? The smbios directs the system to use a system model like MacbookPro8,3 for instance. With the Intel, perhaps we should try to drive an Intel-only system model such as MacbookAir4,1 which is an Intel HD 3000 only, core i5 machine. Be aware that there is no AGPM entry for this model yet; when (if) it shows up, we may have to fix something then but for now, using this should remove any video bias.

Steve

StarbucksSteve said:
I understood you got the 10.6.8 to boot; if so and you did the install of final kexts then you should be able to boot w/o a boot CD. The iBoot CD will interfere with things as it is not 64-bit. Your com.apple.Boot.plist suggests a 64-bit, hard-drive boot.
Im booting from iBoot and/or iBoot-Legacy all these while.. I've also reinstall the whole osx under arch=i386, the result is still the same garbles on top of the screen.. My Intel Device ID is 0x0116..

StarbucksSteve said:
If you have not gotten 10.6.8 to boot at all please say so; I have obviously confused myself.
It's booting as in 10.6.3 until DSMOS has arrived, and just like you've said, it try to switch between boot device to display device, and that's the beginning of garbles on the display.. But the harddisk activity still blinking for couple of minutes then stop.. If I press some key, the hd blinking indicating it's responding, but with no change in display..

StarbucksSteve said:
The DSDT I sent you contains no video changes as there are none which are necessary; it contains the audio changes only and can be used with either SL install, 10.6.3 or 10.6.8, as well as LION. Rename the no_ehc_dsdt.aml file to dsdt.aml and drop it in your /Extra.
I've done it on 10.6.8 and placed in /Extra and it was read as shown on the previous screenshot.. I will try the dsdt on 10.6.3 to see how it respond and will update you on this..

StarbucksSteve said:
What smbios are you using? The smbios directs the system to use a system model like MacbookPro8,3 for instance. With the Intel, perhaps we should try to drive an Intel-only system model such as MacbookAir4,1 which is an Intel HD 3000 only, core i5 machine. Be aware that there is no AGPM entry for this model yet; when (if) it shows up, we may have to fix something then but for now, using this should remove any video bias.
Here is part of it:
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>

I will try to switch to 4,1.. Will let you know the outcome.. Really sorry for taking your time Steve..

DarienPro said:
Here is part of it:
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>

I will try to switch to 4,1.. Will let you know the outcome.. Really sorry for taking your time Steve..

No problem - take out the SMboardproduct; the AGPM kext can use that as well as the SMproductname and that might take us places we do not want to go ...

MacbookAir4,1 - not ...Pro4,1 ... this is a new product, Sandy Bridge and Intel HD only. I might be inclined, if you are getting any indication of nVidia trying to come up, to remove all nVidia support.

Steve

StarbucksSteve said:
No problem - take out the SMboardproduct; the AGPM kext can use that as well as the SMproductname and that might take us places we do not want to go ...
Will try this one and update you..

StarbucksSteve said:
MacbookAir4,1 - not ...Pro4,1 ... this is a new product, Sandy Bridge and Intel HD only. I might be inclined, if you are getting any indication of nVidia trying to come up, to remove all nVidia support.
Will try the Air4,1 and let you know.. The nVidia kext loaded up but it didnt recognize my gpu on both 10.6.3 and 10.6.8.. Regarding 10.6.8, Thank You steve for pointing out about the smbios thing, i've tried Pro4,1 with the dsdt you gave and it managed to get these working on both 10.6.3 and 10.6.8(although the osx always mention Pro3,1):
-reset is now without having the need to press the power button
-detect bluetooth
-all usb2.0 and 3.0 working flawlessly(attach/eject/remove/reattach)

and all these are booted thru iBoot.. i only have to use iBoot-Legacy if i need to boot from usb.. will install the bootloader once it's working normally..

In order to get 10.6.8(generic display) entering the desktop, I removed these kexts(which didnt exist in 10.6.3) which cause the garbles:
Capture.01.JPG

Restoring the kexts above causing garbles again..

For now, my only concern is to tinker with the problematic kext above and the audio as it still jerky/sluggish..

Attachments

• Capture.01.JPG
    Capture.01.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 137
DarienPro said:
Will try the Air4,1 and let you know.. The nVidia kext loaded up but it didnt recognize my gpu on both 10.6.3 and 10.6.8.. Regarding 10.6.8, Thank You steve for pointing out about the smbios thing, i've tried Pro4,1 with the dsdt you gave and it managed to get these working on both 10.6.3 and 10.6.8(although the osx always mention Pro3,1):
-reset is now without having the need to press the power button
-detect bluetooth
-all usb2.0 and 3.0 working flawlessly(attach/eject/remove/reattach)

and all these are booted thru iBoot.. i only have to use iBoot-Legacy if i need to boot from usb.. will install the bootloader once it's working normally..

For now, my only concern is to tinker with the problematic kext above and the audio as it still jerky/sluggish..

Great. It still won't boot 10.6.8 from the hard drive? That will clear up your audio; the iBoot CD's have kexts we don't want and they get in the way.

If you can, please send my your 10.6.8 IORegistry Explorer output; I do not know whether I can make any progress for you but I need that info to look into your video.

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.app - just save it to your desktop, compress it and send it to me.

Steve

Oooh - and you want Chimera as your boot loader ... not Chameleon.

StarbucksSteve said:
Great. It still won't boot 10.6.8 from the hard drive? That will clear up your audio; the iBoot CD's have kexts we don't want and they get in the way.
I still didnt install bootloader into hard drive and keep booting form iBoot dvd all these while.. Will install Chimera as recommended..

StarbucksSteve said:
If you can, please send my your 10.6.8 IORegistry Explorer output; I do not know whether I can make any progress for you but I need that info to look into your video.
I dont have /Developer folder in the root, so i just took the app somewhere on the net and execute it.. Here's the saved file made for both osx:
ioreg.zip

Attachments

• ioreg.zip
    718 KB · Views: 54
DarienPro said:
I dont have /Developer folder in the root, so i just took the app somewhere on the net and execute it.. Here's the saved file made for both osx:
ioreg.zip

Looking at your IOReg, I see VoodooHDA for audio. I am assuming that is because of the iBoot CD you're using and that you have installed the audio that I provided. If so, booting from the hard drive should improve things immensely. If not, I would recommend removing the VoodooHDA; it is not stable for our installs.

I am still looking at video; that will be a bit of a science project since I do not have a matching machine.

Steve

StarbucksSteve said:
DarienPro said:
ioreg.zip

Looking at your IOReg, I see VoodooHDA for audio. I am assuming that is because of the iBoot CD you're using and that you have installed the audio that I provided. If so, booting from the hard drive should improve things immensely. If not, I would recommend removing the VoodooHDA; it is not stable for our installs.

I am still looking at video; that will be a bit of a science project since I do not have a matching machine.

Steve

Sorry for "traspassing" but I would like to know what kind of audio kext does iboot use ? In my case they work flawlessly. The voodoohda kexts are not working properly, i always hear clicky sounds....

thanks

flamandu said:
Sorry for "traspassing" but I would like to know what kind of audio kext does iboot use ? In my case they work flawlessly. The voodoohda kexts are not working properly, i always hear clicky sounds....

thanks

The iBoot 3.1 CD contains 58 kexts including VoodooHDA (0.2.1). It also uses an IOAudioFamily kext and there may be others which affect your audio quality; what is your device ID? It may be available in your IORegistry under HDEF ... /Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.app

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back