Contribute
Register

SL 10.6.8 on Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with Win 7 and Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
MamasB said:
Hey guys. I cant find that tonymac NVIDIA installer anywhere. Its not at this website. Any help?
You do not need it above 10.6.7 ...

Steve

@Steve

mine is idential to your configuration except I have a 555m w/ 3gb instead. Can you please walk me through how to patch the AGPM kext to get fully working 3D accelaration?
In your guide, it says I can find out my device ID and properties under windows. I assume for 555m, the info.plist and video.plist would be different than the ones in yours.
I can get native 1080p by using graphicsEnabler=Yes flag alone and it seems to recognize my 555m correctly except instead of seeing "Nvidia Geforce GT 555m OpenGL Engine" under Rom revision. I just have xx.xx.xxxx. Can you please help me? Thank you

ajora said:
(sorry for double posting)

heya, me again.

poof! somehow I did it. I put GraphicsEnable on Yes and I'm on 1980x1080 resolution
but my device is listed as Unknown 3072 MB.........also I don't seem to have acceleration.

anyone know how to fix that? To make OSX recognize my Nvidia 555M? :(

Thanks for reading

Edited my original reply as I now have the full hd working and ethernet but I am in the same situation as you. Plus I also need to get sound working plus any power management that might need updating and USB3.

Just to add, i'm on a12 bios would it help to update to a17? My nvidia id is 0DCD.

Steve *if* you have time to reply any help would be very much appreciated. I'm reading the thread backwards to try and see what I need to do and have seen about editing the AGPM kext but not sure I follow the last bit of what to do.

Oh and Lion thinks my Dell is MacPro 3,1. Again is this hampering my efforts?

OK changed it to 8,1 using multibeast and then made the changes to the .plist as described. I take it there is no way to fix the 'unknown' description?

I have a strange issue i've not seen before where my partition size free space keeps being read randomly often dropping to no space when looking at it under 'get info' and it causes frequent notifications of the start up disk running out of space. There is 6gb+ free so why would the space be randomly read incorrectly? It makes it impossible to download anything from the internet to the default folder as it constantly times out due to the lack of disk space warning and so i've had for now to change the default location in Safari.

Well sound is still baffling me more than anything else so above anything this is what I want to resolve. I have tried various kexts for the alc665. Either I get kp or the ability to play video fails due to sound corruption.

Currently there is no sound but I can play video files. Does anyone know how to resolve the audio issue?

Also to confirm i'm not using a dsdt, just kexts and so is a dsdt needed to get the alc665 working?

sp0oner73 said:
Well sound is still baffling me more than anything else so above anything this is what I want to resolve. I have tried various kexts for the alc665. Either I get kp or the ability to play video fails due to sound corruption.

Currently there is no sound but I can play video files. Does anyone know how to resolve the audio issue?

Also to confirm i'm not using a dsdt, just kexts and so is a dsdt needed to get the alc665 working?
Yes. The HDA modifications are required ... you might be able to get around it with an enabler but I do not know of one.

I am up to my eyeballs in other things; get the DSDT writeup and software mentioned on page 1 - I'll attach my uncompiled, modified A16 DSDT for your comparison.
dsdt.dsl
Steve

Attachments

• dsdt.dsl
    317.1 KB · Views: 137
StarbucksSteve said:
sp0oner73 said:

Yes. The HDA modifications are required ... you might be able to get around it with an enabler but I do not know of one.

I am up to my eyeballs in other things; get the DSDT writeup and software mentioned on page 1 - I'll attach my uncompiled, modified A16 DSDT for your comparison.
dsdt.dsl
Steve

Hi Steve

many thanks for your reply. I have the sound working now, the output device was set to hdmi! It's not perfect quality as in Windows but it works and is acceptable.

What I did was reinstall from scratch, immediately update to combo 10.7.4 and then install a kexts pack from another forum (don't know if I can mention it here so won't) and make sure audio out was set to internal speaker.

This now seems to have most things working including power management as I can shutdown as opposed to it rebooting. I have installed a cpu temperature monitoring application and the 4 cores are running at 48-51 degrees when idle so does this sound right? The fans are powered down so i'm assuming it's running ok.

I haven't tried any of the other methods detailed for speedstepper as they rely on dsdt/ssdt which i'm worried if I start playing with will break what I currently have working.

The only thing I seem to be missing that I can think of is the sd card slot. Oh and i've stayed on bios a12 as I didn't again want to risk breaking it.

Oh and I haven't fixed the issue with disk space either. I keep being told my start up disk is either full or running low on space when it has over 6gb free and cannot work out what is causing it to misread the disk space.

sp0oner73 said:
StarbucksSteve said:
sp0oner73 said:

dsdt.dsl
Steve

Hi Steve

many thanks for your reply. I have the sound working now, the output device was set to hdmi! It's not perfect quality as in Windows but it works and is acceptable.

What I did was reinstall from scratch, immediately update to combo 10.7.4 and then install a kexts pack from another forum (don't know if I can mention it here so won't) and make sure audio out was set to internal speaker.

This now seems to have most things working including power management as I can shutdown as opposed to it rebooting. I have installed a cpu temperature monitoring application and the 4 cores are running at 48-51 degrees when idle so does this sound right? The fans are powered down so i'm assuming it's running ok.

I haven't tried any of the other methods detailed for speedstepper as they rely on dsdt/ssdt which i'm worried if I start playing with will break what I currently have working.

The only thing I seem to be missing that I can think of is the sd card slot. Oh and i've stayed on bios a12 as I didn't again want to risk breaking it.

Oh and I haven't fixed the issue with disk space either. I keep being told my start up disk is either full or running low on space when it has over 6gb free and cannot work out what is causing it to misread the disk space.

Hi sorry for the questions
ok so first of all all of these are for the dell xps l702x with intel 2630 i7 gt 555m and 8gb of ram and the bios a12 all i would like to have is dsdt and kexts and how to put the lion 10.7.4 on a usb b/c every time i put my flash drive im my hackintosh at 10.6.6 the screen come up with the "restart computer problem thing" so could you help me out thanks
ps also what kext or dsdt do i need for a full rez 1920x1080 and will i need the tonymacx nvidia http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... d-5xx.html will it work with 10.7.4
~ ~littleman345~

littleman345 said:
Hi sorry for the questions
ok so first of all all of these are for the dell xps l702x with intel 2630 i7 gt 555m and 8gb of ram and the bios a12 all i would like to have is dsdt and kexts and how to put the lion 10.7.4 on a usb b/c every time i put my flash drive im my hackintosh at 10.6.6 the screen come up with the "restart computer problem thing" so could you help me out thanks
ps also what kext or dsdt do i need for a full rez 1920x1080 and will i need the tonymacx nvidia http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... d-5xx.html will it work with 10.7.4
~ ~littleman345~

I am running in 1080p just with graphics enabler which has also picked up hdmi and running my 23" monitor as a second screen.

As for dsdt I cannot help you there as i'm not using one, running everything just off of kexts which i've downloaded and installed using kext utility. I've found a download for alc655 and installed the kexts and it's now working nicely and no random kp so far. Just been watching 1080p trailers for spiderman and batman and they played perfectly.

Two kps in a row this morning out of the blue and then boots again fine. Both happened as you hear the laptop speakers come on.

KP's sorted out now using different kexts pack for the sound and power management working too. Only things not working are wifi, bluetooth and card reader as far as I can tell and not using a dsdt so all done with kexts downloaded off the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back