Contribute
Register

Skylake-X/X299 and macOS Sierra 10.12 - [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, but my problem is that under 10.12.6, my rig with the new Nvidia graphics card stops now with the boot process at gIOScreenLockState 3 on both USB Flash Drive and 10.12 System Disk and remains there forever... No Black Screen... you understand? Thus, the gIOScreenLockState 3 problem might not be directly related with the Black Screen issue after the Web Driver Installation, because I did not even install the web driver.

At first place the main aim would be to successfully boot the USB Flash Drive under 10.12.6... Any idea what I could do to reach this aim? Could you upload your 10.12.6 USB Flash Drive EFI-Folder, as in your case the boot with the latter seems successful, right?

For now, you can't boot into sierra install disk or system drive because of 'gIOScreenLockState 3'?

For now, you can't boot into sierra install disk or system drive because of 'gIOScreenLockState 3'?

Note that the problem is only Nvidida related.

gIOScreenLockState 3 is just the step where the system stops booting. It is a standard boot message not an error... However, immediately afterwards you normally enter the login screen. With Nvidia under 10.12.6 the last step does not seem to work. However, @send2moran claims that he is able to circumvent the problem. But now he does not respond and does not come up with his EFI-Folder neither....

Note that the problem is only Nvidida related.

gIOScreenLockState 3 is just the step where the system stops booting. It is a standard boot message not an error... However, immediately afterwards you normally enter the login screen. With Nvidia under 10.12.6 the last step does not seem to work. However, @send2moran claims that he is able to circumvent the problem. But now he does not respond and does not come up with his EFI-Folder neither....
You either need nvidia web driver installed /enabled to bypass gIOScreenLockstate or you can use a Dvi connection (if you have one) (the problem will come in Displayport and Hdmi not DVI). If possible use a Kepler or earlier series graphics. Avoid pascal. once web drivers are installed you can install your pascal series graphics.

With the AlC 1220 installed, DaVinci Resolve crashes whenever any clip is played.
Any body else faced the same issue?

Good and bad news for @ALL Nvidia Maxwell and Pascal Graphics Cards Users!

On Skylake-X/X299 Systems, your Nvidia Maxwell and Pascal Graphics Cards are not properly supported neither by macOS 10.12.6 nor by the Nvidia 10.12.6 web driver. The lack of support by macOS 10.12.6 makes it impossible to follow the standard macOS 10.12.6 Clean Install or Upgrade Procedures outlined in Section D.)! Any boot intentions with the macOS 10.12.6 USB Flash Driver installer will end-up at gIOScreenlockstate 3, independent of the black screen prevention one might choose. On Skylake-X/X299 Systems, Nvidia Maxwell and Pascal Graphics Cards as well as the related web driver are simply not fully compatible with MacOS 10.12.6!

However, there are two possible workarounds:

a.) Use my Skylake-X/X299 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide to directly install macOS High Sierra 10.13 on
your Skylake-X/X299 System.

b.) Setup your 10.12.6 Skylake-X/X299 System Disk on a System different from Skylake-X/X299! After the

macOS 10.12.6 Installation perform the AGDPFix.app Black Screen prevention and subsequently install the 10.12.6 Nvidia Web Driver. Before connecting the 10.12.6 System Disk to your Skylake-X/X299 System, adopt the EFI-Folder on the 10.12.6 System Disk for it's later use on your Skylake-X/X299 System by following the respective System Disk EfI-Folder related points in Error Prevention C.) and macOS Sierra 10.12 Clean Install in D.1) of my Skylake-X/X299 macOS Sierra Desktop Guide . Now connect and boot your 10.12.6 Skylake-X/X299 System Disk to/on your Skylake-X/X299 System. You will be able to boot and operate 10.12.6 without further major issues or further additional actions. Your graphics card will be fully supported by the Nvidia 10.12.6 Web Driver (OpenGL and Metal Support), although the Nvidia Driver Manager will immediately crash on login.

To run macOS Sierra 10.12 on my Skylake-X/X299 system, I obviously successfully used Workaround b.) above. For successful benchmark results with my Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti WaterFroce WB 11GB Extreme Edition and my Intel Skylake-X i9-7980XE see Section F.) "Benchmarking" of my Skylake-X/X299 macOS Sierra Desktop Guide

Cheers,

kgp.png

b.) Setup your 10.12.6 Skylake-X/X299 System Disk on a System different from Skylake-X/X299! After the
macOS 10.12.6 Installation perform the AGDPFix.app Black Screen prevention and subsequently install the 10.12.6 Nvidia Web Driver. Before connecting the 10.12.6 System Disk to your Skylake-X/X299 System, adopt the EFI-Folder on the 10.12.6 System Disk for it's later use on your Skylake-X/X299 System by following the respective System Disk EfI-Folder related points in Error Prevention C.) and macOS Sierra 10.12 Clean Install in D.1) of my Skylake-X/X299 macOS Sierra Desktop Guide . Now connect and boot your 10.12.6 Skylake-X/X299 System Disk to/on your Skylake-X/X299 System. You will be able to boot and operate 10.12.6 without further major issues or further additional actions. Your graphics card will be fully supported by the Nvidia 10.12.6 Web Driver (OpenGL and Metal Support), although the Nvidia Driver Manager will immediately crash on login.

Just to confirm, I currently have Sierra and High Sierra installed on different NVMe drives, following both your guides. I have a RX580 currently in & am looking at swapping it to a GTX 1080ti.

For Sierra, can I just do the following:
1. Boot into Sierra
2. Run the AGCPFix
3. Install the NVIDIA Web Drivers
4. Power off the PC and install the GTX 1080ti
5. Power on and boot into Sierra

In the guide there was some info on needing to change csr to 00 before installing the NVIDA drivers, is this the case ?

Thanks

Just to confirm, I currently have Sierra and High Sierra installed on different NVMe drives, following both your guides. I have a RX580 currently in & am looking at swapping it to a GTX 1080ti.

For Sierra, can I just do the following:
1. Boot into Sierra
2. Run the AGCPFix
3. Install the NVIDIA Web Drivers
4. Power off the PC and install the GTX 1080ti
5. Power on and boot into Sierra

In the guide there was some info on needing to change csr to 00 before installing the NVIDA drivers, is this the case ?

Thanks

Well if you use the original Nvidia Driver you have to perform the Web Driver installation with csr to 0x00,but to apply previously the AGDPfix with csr to 0x67. For some users, the AGDPFix seems not sufficient and they need Black Screen Prevention b.) instead. Thus I cannot promise that the AGDPFix approach will work in 100% in your case...

Top avoid any problem, clone your system disk before the web driver installation and provide the backup drive also with the adequate EFI-Folder to make it bootable. By this, you have a 100% working fall back option in case of a likely occurrent problem during the web driver installation or the subsequent exchange of graphics cards!

You can use my script to install the drivers leaving SIP disabled. If you have unsigned kexts or patches etc that won't work with CSR 0x0. Any black screens that may result will be down to hardware/configuration/NVRAM/caches and not SIP related. See displaypolicd logs for clues.

You can use my script to install the drivers leaving SIP disabled. If you have unsigned kexts or patches etc that won't work with CSR 0x0. Any black screens that may result will be down to hardware/configuration/NVRAM/caches and not SIP related. See displaypolicd logs for clues.

Well if one uses the original web driver installer, one would boot with csr to 0x00 just for the web driver installation of course! The subsequent boot needs to be performed with csr to 0x67, as described un my gudie! I don't see the point why this approach should not work! At least in my case this approach was 100% successful! I do not see the necessity to patch the original Nvidia web driver installer in advance. But if helps others, totally fine with me!

One important note in any case! As implemented during the last update of my Skylake-X/X299 Desktop Guide, Nvidia Graphics seem not fully compatible with 10.12.6 on Skylake-X/X299 in any case. I have never been able to successfully boot a USB Flash Drive Installer in order to perform a MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 Clean Install on Skylake-X/X299! I always end up with gIOScreenlockstate 3! The only way to setup 10.12.6 on my Skyalke-X/X299 System was to implement a 10.12.6 System Drive which I primarily installed and properly configured including the Web Driver Installation and AGDPFix on my X99 rig. Even in this case, after the SkylakeX-X299 implementation, the Nvidia Driver manager crashes immediately on login, although the Nvidia 10.2.6 Web Driver continues working! Also a reinstallation of the 10.12.6 Web driver, which certainly works on the now implemented 10.12.6 Skylake-X/X299 System disk, prevents the Nvidia Web Driver Manager from crashing... thats all I can say in terms of Nvidia graphics cards and their Web Driver on Skylake-X/X299 under macOS Sierra 10.12.6..

Last edited:
What script is that ? I am running a few unsigned kexts. Is there a link to the script & explaination
Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back