Contribute
Register

Skylake Thunderbolt 3 for Music Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unibeast and multibeast are not bootloaders, Chameleon and Clover are. You are probably using Clover without knowing it. Read up on it.

Hello Community,

I may try to build a Hackintosh for Music Production. Therefore I have as Audio Hardware an Apollo 8 quad from the Company Universial Audio. They work with Thunderbolt and Mac only.

My Idea was to build a new Hackintosh machine. I really like the new Motherboards with TB3 Support. Like the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. I was just wondering if someone already managed to get the Tunderbolt from this Mainboard make run under Mac OS.

It must not be this specific Motherboard, but I would like to go for Skylake. Windows 10 on one SSD and Mac OS on another one....

Thx for your help!

Hallo,

After 6 weeks of trial and error and just keep trying over and over, I finally succeeded, thanks to ' Dashingncool ' his treat, to get El Capitan dual booting with W7 on my Skylake : Asus Z170 Premium, InteCore i7/6700 and GTX750 Ti. Yet i need thunderbolt for the external soundcard (Apollo twin from UA). But thunderbolt is not working @ all ... :(!

I even tried with an additional Asus Thunderbolt EXII PCIx card. Doesn't works neighter. Even not in W7.

Any help is more than welcome. Also for the bios thunderbolt settings

Thx,
Sj.

I've got Sierra 10.12.1 running on a GA-170X-UD5 TH mobo and both of my USB 3.1 ports are working. Yes, I had to "wake" them up under Windows then afterwards they are working under OS X.

I am noticing a speed differential between what TB3 over USB 3.1 is spec'd at and my real world speeds to TB2 drives. I am guessing that this is the 5Gb/s vs 10Gb/s slowdown that Apple has in place.

Any new information about enabling TB3 higher speeds - please post. The above Khaos link seems to be for devices giving unrecognized error message which I have not yet (thankfully) experienced.

One more thing, using a Blackmagic Multidock TB2 ( https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmultidock ) I have for the first time been able to hot swap drives in and out without rebooting which is a first for any TB devices I've ever used before.

I've got Sierra 10.12.1 running on a GA-170X-UD5 TH mobo and both of my USB 3.1 ports are working. Yes, I had to "wake" them up under Windows then afterwards they are working under OS X.
Do you mean they work as Thunderbolt ports (10 or 20 or 40 gbps?), or as USB 3.1 ports? USB 3.0 (or USB 3.1 gen 1) (5 gbps) or USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 gbps)?

I am noticing a speed differential between what TB3 over USB 3.1 is spec'd at and my real world speeds to TB2 drives. I am guessing that this is the 5Gb/s vs 10Gb/s slowdown that Apple has in place.
What are you measuring (drive type, controller type, cable type)? What are the results? What are the expected results?

One more thing, using a Blackmagic Multidock TB2 ( https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmultidock ) I have for the first time been able to hot swap drives in and out without rebooting which is a first for any TB devices I've ever used before.
I didn't think hot swapping drives was a problem as long as the drivers support it. For example, USB drives are hot swappable. I don't know how much support Macs have for hot swappable SATA drives (eSATA? AHCI?). The problem with Hackintosh's currently is that Thunderbolt is not hot swappable.

Q: Do you mean they work as Thunderbolt ports?
Yes, as Thunderbolt ports, I have no 3.1 USB devices to test but they should work. I'm using Apple's USB 3.1 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?)

Q: What are you measuring (drive type, controller type, cable type)? What are the results? What are the expected results?
Drive speeds, from single 7200RPM to 4-drive Raid 5. Expected results, I won't really know unless I test on a genuine Mac Pro but that's not possible at this point for a variety of reasons. On single 7200RPM drives I usually get somewhere around 110 Mb/s and on raid0 systems anywhere from 200 - 300 Mb/bs.

Q: I didn't think hot swapping drives was a problem as long as the drivers support it
Hot swapping T-Bolt drives has always been unworkable on Hacks. It works on genuine Macs and Windows PC but not on Hacks. I've built several T-Bolt Hacks and this is the first instance that I've gotten drives to hot swap or even eject without freezing up the entire OS necessitating a reboot. USB drives and devices have always been hot swappable on Hacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back