Contribute
Register

[Skylake] On which motherboard sleep will work perfectly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Skylake motherboard (ATX), preferably Z170 although I need to make sure that sleep will work without any issues (woe of my previous hackintosh builds). I would be very grateful for any advice regarding it! :)

I had problems with Gigabyte motherboards especially with wake, sleep and random reboots. Two of my ASUS motherboards have no issues with it. So I would recommend Maximus Gene VIII or Z170 Pro Gaming.

Just be sure you get manufacturer's recommended memory modules for the motherboard and not generic ones if you want stability.

Last edited:
I would say 90% is accurate for ALL hackintosh builds but I had far better experiences with ASUS. If want 100% then get a iMac. :)

Skylake is pretty new so give hackintosh developers time to patch the glitches. It's still a bleeding edge technology. Apple has not officially released iMac with Skylake processor so they're still developing drivers and support for it.

Reactions: csw
What do you mean by 90%?

On-board audio and ethernet have some minor issues but it can be fixed. There are guides for those motherboards so follow the instructions to get stuff working. I use Mausi ethernet driver since Intel doesn't work. It's already included in MultiBeast so it's easy to install. Like I said, bleeding edge technology so expect some minor issues or bugs until its fully fixed or supported.

Thanks for the replies guys!

What do you mean by 90%?

I use external wifi and audio cards - it's not ethernet or audio drivers in my case.

No matter what fixes I do or try, sleep will occasionally fail. 90% was probably too kind, I'd say it fails around 3 times out of 10.

No matter what fixes I do or try, sleep will occasionally fail. 90% was probably too kind, I'd say it fails around 3 times out of 10.

I don't have any issues with wake and sleep. I didn't use Clover that came with MultiBeast so maybe that's why I didn't have any issues. I noticed MultiBeast installed extra kexts if Clover is selected.

I downloaded and installed Clover from the author's website and used MultiBeast to install USB 3.0, Fakesms, and Mausi ethernet kexts. I use audio through Nvidia's video card via DisplayPort.

Apple has not officially released iMac with Skylake processor so they're still developing drivers and support for it.
This is not true. Apple released their first Skylake iMac last year around the time of El Capitan Oct 2015. Thats where the community obtained the info for an iMac17,1 SMBIOS. Also the MacBooks released earlier this year are Skylake with Intel HD515.

I don't have any issues with wake and sleep. I didn't use Clover that came with MultiBeast so maybe that's why I didn't have any issues. I noticed MultiBeast installed extra kexts if Clover is selected.

I downloaded and installed Clover from the author's website and used MultiBeast to install USB 3.0, Fakesms, and Mausi ethernet kexts. I use audio through Nvidia's video card via DisplayPort.

Mine's a manual install also. I only have FakeSMC and USBInject kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back