Contribute
Register

Skylake ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very curious to see if this card combined with a Polaris AMD GPU (preferably flashed with the modded EFI, to fix sleep/wake and possibly other things) works with the LG Ultrafine 5k. In theory, it should.

Did you install the drivers for it in Windows? You have to first.
Yes I did install the latest thuderbolt drivers. Updated the bios to 3007 witch gave me big problems with my nvidia gtx750ti card.
Can't get the bios back to 2202 or 1903 ;-((. So had to set nvidai -1 in Clover.

Bios settings are a bit different in 3007 bios version.

Have them now on default (thunderbolt settings).
How should I set them to make thunderbolt work...?

And, is it possible tot use an PCIX Asus Thunderbolt EX3 card?
(tryed but with no results). If i put my pci speed tot 4x instead of auto (default) , then I can't find my SATA 2-6 SSD/HD drives anymore .. ;-(.

Any help would be really great.
Grtz,
Sj.

Last edited:
Yes I did install the latest thuderbolt drivers. Updated the bios to 3007 witch gave me big problems with my nvidia gtx750ti card.
Can't get the bios back to 2202 or 1903 ;-((. So had to set nvidai -1 in Clover.

Bios settings are a bit different in 3007 bios version.

Have them now on default (thunderbolt settings).
How should I set them to make thunderbolt work...?

And, is it possible tot use an PCIX Asus Thunderbolt EX3 card?
(tryed but with no results). If i put my pci speed tot 4x instead of auto (default) , then I can't find my SATA 2-6 SSD/HD drives anymore .. ;-(.

Any help would be really great.
Grtz,
Sj.
I've got the thunderbolt 3 pcix card working in W7.
Don't know how I did it, but suddenly it worked.

Yet, I need it in El Capitan.....
Anybody the solution?

Grtz,
Sjabthi

Did you install the drivers for it in Windows? You have to first.
Yes I did.
Then i finaly got the thunderbolt 3 on the motherbaord firmware updated and then TBLt 3 works on W7.
But not always on El Capitan. Have to boot in W7 first en then in El Capitan. Mostly it works like that.
And only 1of the 2 usb c / Tblt3 ports on the motherboard.

Put together a quick video showing it working.

Thanks for this video, is helping a ton - I also have the Z170-Deluxe with the i7 6700K. Upon loading BIOS version 1302 I get a screen similar to your Intel Thunderbolt BIOS screen, but it's missing a few fields. Is the card just not loaded correctly or might something else be wrong? I have the ex3 in PCI 3, last one, and I tried changing the bandwidth 'auto' to '4x' too. Apollo software loaded just fine but not firmware, as the console later said the Apollo is not connected.

View media item 188178

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.31.52 PM.png
You need to enable Intel Thunderbolt Technology and set the Security Level to Legacy Mode. You also need to set the PCI-EX3_16 Bandwidth to x4 under Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration. Mine is working.

@beelzebozo do you know if this card would allow you to run the new LG Ultrafine 5k display at full 5k? Im assuming not because there is only one mini-display port input on the card so there doesn't seem to be enough bandwidth unless the card can get the extra data over the pci lanes or something.

View attachment 231328 You need to enable Intel Thunderbolt Technology and set the Security Level to Legacy Mode. You also need to set the PCI-EX3_16 Bandwidth to x4 under Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration. Mine is working.

Thank you - I did a bit more troubleshooting. After doing some (potentially unrelated) graphics card troubleshooting I made the BIOS settings changes that you suggested. I had already replaced the OsxAptioFix2Drv file with the 2000 one, but despite this fix OS X would not boot. I then went back to USB3.1-enabled in the BIOS and the Apollo was recognized. I realized later this was most likely because I am still running El Capitan, and you mention in a previous post that it was not necessary to enable Intel Thunderbolt in El Cap.

Unfortunately when I restarted my computer the Apollo is no longer recognized despite the fact that I didn't change any settings from when it worked and the firmware installed. Upon booting into Windows I don't see the Apollo listed in Device Manager anymore either, though the BIOS still shows that PCI-EX3_16 has a Thunderbolt device installed.

Do you think it might be worth updating to Sierra in this case or continue troubleshooting in El Cap?

Thank you very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back