Contribute
Register

Simple NVIDIA 4xx Install Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mates, since i changed AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext with deDante tip and smbios to MacPro3.1, my sistem hasn´t freezed. It´s been almost 24 hours and before changes, it freezes once in a hour. Dunno if it´s tip related or smbios but i cross my fingers one of both solved the issue.

elpibe10, try editing your smbios to MacPro3.1 and tell us if it´s then stable to you.

geekko said:
Mates, since i changed AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext with deDante tip and smbios to MacPro3.1, my sistem hasn´t freezed. It´s been almost 24 hours and before changes, it freezes once in a hour. Dunno if it´s tip related or smbios but i cross my fingers one of both solved the issue.

elpibe10, try editing your smbios to MacPro3.1 and tell us if it´s then stable to you.

Just tested ... and experienced the freeze :evil:

BTW, if you leave the system idling without any mouse movement, it will not freeze. That should probably explain why yours didn't freeze for the past 24 hrs.

I've also found a way to prevent it from freezing when you're doing light work (eg. web surfing & music listening) :

- Loop a muted movie clip in the background (eg. with VLC player)

It'll keep the gfx card a little busy and will prevent the system from freezing.

Currently, that's the only 'interim solution' I have. This freezing issue is system dependent and will only happen to certain rigs with Fermi gfx cards, not all ... strange. :banghead:

elpibe10 said:
Just tested ... and experienced the freeze :evil:

BTW, if you leave the system idling without any mouse movement, it will not freeze. That should probably explain why yours didn't freeze for the past 24 hrs.
Hey mate, i have been using my system last 24 hours (not at night but i watched a film and let computer on for all night doing nothing....). I´ve been using firefox, spotify, vlc, jdownloader....many taxes in different times and no freeze.

Once again, i cross my fingers.

anyone success with the random freezes with gtx 460? i'm using p6x58d premium with gtx 460 768mb.

So far I'm good with VLC running a movie in the background. Seems to be a decent work around, only costs some CPU cycles.

I recently performed the ApplePowerManagement hack, adding my 450GTS to the info.plist. Its greatly increased my FPS, like 5 fold. Up to 30.32 FPS now. Its to early to say if it has fixed the freezing though from all the posts I see here I doubt it has.

My question for anyone is when I go to load WoW for instance, it will load fine but the second I log on a character the the game goes to render the game world, my entire system freezes EXCEPT for my mouse. Thoughts?

RevisionZero said:
I recently performed the ApplePowerManagement hack, adding my 450GTS to the info.plist. Its greatly increased my FPS, like 5 fold. Up to 30.32 FPS now. Its to early to say if it has fixed the freezing though from all the posts I see here I doubt it has.

My question for anyone is when I go to load WoW for instance, it will load fine but the second I log on a character the the game goes to render the game world, my entire system freezes EXCEPT for my mouse. Thoughts?
I've seen that on a GTX 460. There are reports of issues with 4xx cards and WoW under Windows too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 10.46.07.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 10.46.07.png
    60 KB · Views: 68
MacMan said:
RevisionZero said:

I've seen that on a GTX 460. There are reports of issues with 4xx cards and WoW under Windows too.

Im going to spend all of tonight changing things around and see what I can come up with. However from the sounds of it, I may have to just wait for the Fermi Drivers to mature a bit?

RevisionZero said:
MacMan said:
RevisionZero said:

Im going to spend all of tonight changing things around and see what I can come up with. However from the sounds of it, I may have to just wait for the Fermi Drivers to mature a bit?
Ya, hopefully NVIDIA will update them soon.

RevisionZero said:

Same here. There's no way to get out of it other than reboot. Have you tried running in a window?

On the other note, i can never reach 30+ FPS in cinebench, all of my cards are sort of limited to around 17-19, from 460 to 480. that's with macpro3.1 or kext hack, without they are around 6-7.

By the way, is there any way to manually change the cards fanspeed? Because i think that's part of the problem. The graphics card always runs low RPM and maybe it thermally throttles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back