Contribute
Register

Sign in app store issues after 10.6.8 & Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sign in app store issues after 10.6.8 update Fix

Nothing was working for me until I put the EFI string in for the ethernet. I used gfxutil to get the PCI ID string and then added the key to the plist I had for my graphics card... the combined EFI string did the trick!

Finally!

Had problems with Apple USB Ethernet Adaptor and App Store verification in Lion. Couldn't enable built-in ethernet either, and that was the ultimate problem.

Went and bought 12 € A-link PCI ethernet card with a Realtek chip. Installed lnx2mac driver and configured it as en0 by deleting the network plist.

Now App Store working in Lion! It seems you have to either have a builtin or PCI ethernet as en0. Hope this helps someone.

pixu said:
Went and bought 12 € A-link PCI ethernet card with a Realtek chip. Installed lnx2mac driver and configured it as en0 by deleting the network plist.

Now App Store working in Lion! It seems you have to either have a builtin or PCI ethernet as en0. Hope this helps someone.

Ok, I'm gonna try this tonight:

1. Shutdown/Power off my hack.
2. Remove my Airport Extreme card.
3. Power it back on and look in the Network settings.
4. My built in Ethernet should be en0 at this time.
5. Remove NetworkInterfaces.plist from /L/P/SC directory.
6. Shutdown/Power off my hack again.
7. Reinstall my Airport Extreme
8. Power up and go through Airport/WiFi config
9. Try logging into the App store.

Well,
After fiddling around for some time finally got it to work.
(But honestly i don't know exactly why :rolleyes: )
I encountered some of the issues others had here.
This was the only thing keeping my I-PC from being perfect.

What i did:

- Remove NIC's (2) from System Preferences/Network
- Deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist from L/P/S
- Generated string with EFIStudio-1.1 and used "write to com.apple.Boot.plist"
- Also put that string in the com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra
So it looks like this:

(/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600021c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
</dict>
</plist>

(/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist)

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string></string>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600021c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After rebooting i added NIC's in System Preferences/Network
With the exeption that one NIC was not called "Ethernet Adaptor (en0)", but just
"Ethernet"

After done this, appstore login worked again and i could choose/install (free) apps.

I was on the phone with Apple and here's what they asked me to do; it didn't work for me but incase it works for some one else.

1. Go to /L/P directory and delete the entire SC directory.

2. Go to your home directory then into '~/Library/Application Support' directory and delete entire AppStore directory

3. Go to one directory up from step #2 and into your home directory then into Preferences directory and find the "com.apple.appstore.plist" and delete that file.

4. Now reboot; but do a command > option > R as the system comes up and right before the Apple screen hit the 'P' button. This apparently do a ROM/RAM reset (Not sure).

5. Try logging into the App Store again.

EFI String Wierdness

I got over the app store problem using the EFI string/gfxutil solution posted a few pages back.

I was using an EFI string for graphics and I just combined the graphics and the ethernet strings in a single mighty string.
It worked fine.

For a variety of reasons, I decided to use NVEnabler instead of EFI string for graphics so I modified com.apple.boot.plist and replace the EFI string with the Ethernet string.

And it doesn't work! :crazy:

So if I use a combination graphics/ethernet string, it works fine.
If I use Ethernet only it doesn't!

How can that be?? :banghead:

Phabmp, I understand the gist of the method for systems with dual graphics cards, but its just too vague in the direction. What exactly do I copy from the com.apple.boot.plist file, the NVCAP or the NVPM hex string? What about the other entries for the Nvidia Card, do I just leave them? Also merging this with the ethernet plist, how do I do this? If you could give us an example of the actual code you copied so I could get a sense of what exactly you did to get this to work it would be appreciated. Cheers.

I added an Airport compatible card today and I still can't get App store working. Also updated to the new MAC 10.6.8 supplemental update and it doesn't address this issue. It is looking like you HAVE to have an Ethernet card for the App store to work.

Ok instead of doing step 4, I used efi studio to create both the plist strings for the videocard, and the network card. I added those to a text file like you suggested.

This is what I have:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x4)/Pci(0x19,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>built-in</key>
<string>0x01</string>
</dict>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x4)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>@0,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
<key>@0,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@0,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
<key>@1,compatible</key>
<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
<key>@1,device_type</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>@1,name</key>
<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>
BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
</data>
<key>NVPM</key>
<data>
AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
</data>
<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
<string>0x20000000</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>nVidia GeForce 8400 GS</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>display</string>
<key>rom-revision</key>
<string>nVidia GeForce 8400 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Is that the correct way to fuse the two plists together? Still not sure about steps 7 and 8...

Ok I tidied up the plist file so it seems to be fine in plist editor. Removed the extra tags.

I have successfully using gfxutil to turn this combined plist file into hex. However, in step 8 you suggest to add this hex back into the com.apple.boot.plist file in a <string> </string> with the <key><key> before it. I have followed this guide: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,104.0.html which covers adding audio to a gfx string and I followed the guide exactly and added the string. Graphics still works but app store isn't. Sigh.

Breathless said:
pixu said:

Please give us the exact model card that you bought so everyone will have reference to one that definitely works. Thanks

A-link NA1GHR, Realtek RTL8169SC chip. Driver (lnx2mac) from multibeast.

I guess all RTL81xx should be fine.

EDIT: To elaborate, I disabled mobo ethernet from bios (builtinEthernet = yes still in boot.plist). Then installed lnx2mac driver, and removed all network adapters and deleted network.plist. Reboot, and add Ethernet first -> App Store works. Apple suggests making a new Location also, which I did at some point before all this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3925?viewlocale=en_US

On a sidenote, the pasted EFI strings make these threads unreadable, an admin could chop them shorter. Or tweak board settings for long strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back