Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
I7-6700k Skylake
Graphics
GTX 1070, GTX 1080 Ti
Hi,
I have a Hack that works almost perfectly. However, at random points, the system suddenly closes all running applications, quits everything, and eject / kick me to the log in screen. My computer is a rendering hack and I've noticed that it tends to happen slightly more when GPU rendering, although generally it is random and happens regardless. All my temps are good / normal.

I am on Sierra 10.12.6 running the latest NVIDIA drivers. Any fixes to try or what debug logs I can look for would be extremely helpful. Have been trying to fix this for months

The only thing I can think of is that somehow you have "Log out after... minutes of inactivity" checked in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Advanced.
autologout.png

The only thing I can think of is that somehow you have "Log out after... minutes of inactivity" checked in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Advanced.
View attachment 287738

Hi,
Thanks so much for your message. I checked and unfortunately that wasn't it, I did not have that checked. These logouts are unlike anything I've had before, the computer will always freeze for about a second, then everything closes in another second, then the screen goes black and finally I'm kicked back to the log in page.

I read other instances of this happening, some people were talking about the windowserver. But not sure how to monitor this or what other logs I can look at.

I don't know how many monitors do you use. If you connected many 4K monitors to a single graphic card, it might cause low video memory, as a result, you will be logged out sporadically. If you are not sure of it, just check the video memory usage.

I don't know how many monitors do you use. If you connected many 4K monitors to a single graphic card, it might cause low video memory, as a result, you will be logged out sporadically. If you are not sure of it, just check the video memory usage.

Thanks for your message. I have two monitors connected, one 2k and one at 1920x1080. I regularly check how much VRAM is free because I GPU render daily and that stat is provided via the renderer. I usually have plenty of free VRAM by my estimation, however just to be safe I turn off both monitors whenever I do longer renders. Also, since upgrading to 10.12.6, this problem seems to occur ONLY when I am GPU rendering. The GPU's are definitely not overheating (they are watercooled and at extremely good temps). Additionally, my system is now doing a full crash / restart, where the screen blacks out and takes me to BIOS, vs before when I was logged out

if anyone can suggest a strategy for how I can start debugging this / what I can monitor (maybe something through the console app?), I would be eternally grateful.

Hello Smoosajee, just wanted to let you know my hack is experiencing the same frustrating issue. It seems to me to be some sort of video glitch where the system is trying to process something, before timing out and logging out as a safety measure.

Hello Smoosajee, just wanted to let you know my hack is experiencing the same frustrating issue. It seems to me to be some sort of video glitch where the system is trying to process something, before timing out and logging out as a safety measure.

Hey Mavedisian, good to know it's not just me. Is your system crashing and sending you to the logout screen, or crashing and fully restarting, sending you through BIOS? (not sure if you read my reply to theairshark, but the bug behavior slightly changed after updating to 10.12.6).

Curious if your system is multi-GPU / running 10 series cards or not. If you have any suggestions for how to debug please let me know. Close to giving up and going back to windows but really don't want to !

Did any of you resolve this? I've just started experiencing this on my just-updated to High Sierra hack.

Not enough to determine a pattern yet, but rather puzzling...

No! this issue is still plaguing me on a daily basis. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a film production and dont have time to migrate my machine, but i'm experiencing daily crashes (my issue shifted from session ejections to full blown hard restarts).

They've also progressively become worse. When the issue started, it would very clearly follow GPU rendering. Now, it will happen out of the blue with no clear indication.

I tried everything, am most likely going to switch back to windows soon unless someone has any ideas. Sad because my hackintosh works perfectly except for these random crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back