Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Ok so my hackintosh has been working flawlessly until today. OSX (10.11.6)
First I noticed that it did not shutdown properly. I see a spinning wheel with a black screen but it doesn't shut down.
Also, I noticed that when I open disk utility I keep getting a "loading disks" message and my disks never show up. (I got 1 OSX SSD, 1 Windows SSD and 1 Storage HDD).

By the way, drives are working normally and I can use them in finder.

I'm using the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

UPDATE:
I am now running Mac OS version 10.12.3 and everything is running fine. My setup has 3 disks:
1. OSX SSD
2. Windows 10 SSD
3. Storage

Sometimes randomly I am still getting the same problem in which I see a spinning wheel with a black screen but it doesn't shut down. Also, disk utility doesn't show my drives at all and it is only fixed when I disable my additional drives on the BIOS. Any help out there?

Here is the shutdown in verbose mode:

When it doesn't shutdown at all:
WReAfh.jpg

When it does shutdown (after applying the 'fix' stated):
KGLF8Q.jpg

Last edited:
could this even be related? Both issues appeared at the same time

could this even be related? Both issues appeared at the same time
Ok guys I'll post what I did to fix this, might be valuable for someone else.
These are the steps I followed:
1. Disabled my storage HDD drive in the BIOS and booted OSX. (Kept OSX and Windows SSD's) -- Disk Utility still stuck on "Loading disks".
2. Forced Shutdown (because my system still wouldn't shutdown/restart properly).
3. Disabled my storage HDD and also my Windows SSD and booted OSX.
4. Disk Utility was now opening normally and showing up my El Capitan Drive. (finally)
5. At this point one of my problems was fixed. So I went ahead and tried to shut down and for some weird reason it did shut down. I can't explain what was going on here but if I had to guess, maybe the drives were causing some kind of kernel panic that wouldn't let the shut down procedure complete.
6. With Disk Utility and Shutdown working, I enabled my drives in the BIOS once again. Went to disk utility and this time all my disks showed up :)! Shutdown is back to normal as well.

I guess the strange thing here is that somehow disk utility failure was preventing shutdowns.

PS: If anyone here could explain what was going on that would be amazing, thanks!

Last edited:
Ok guys I'll post what I did to fix this, might be valuable for someone else.
These are the steps I followed:
1. Disabled my storage HDD drive in the BIOS and booted OSX. (Kept OSX and Windows SSD's) -- Disk Utility still stuck on "Loading disks".
2. Forced Shutdown (because my system still wouldn't shutdown/restart properly).
3. Disabled my storage HDD and also my Windows SSD and booted OSX.
4. Disk Utility was now opening normally and showing up my El Capitan Drive. (finally)
5. At this point one of my problems was fixed. So I went ahead and tried to shut down and for some weird reason it did shut down. I can't explain what was going on here but if I had to guess, maybe the drives were causing some kind of kernel panic that wouldn't let the shut down procedure complete.
6. With Disk Utility and Shutdown working, I enabled my drives in the BIOS once again. Went to disk utility and this time all my disks showed up :)! Shutdown is back to normal as well.

I guess the strange thing here is that somehow disk utility failure was preventing shutdowns.

PS: If anyone here could explain what was going on that would be amazing, thanks!

I think this may be an EFI/BIOS issue, I have similar problems and I'm running two ssd's, one for win 10 and one for OS X 10.12.1
Sometimes when I boot into clover and choose OS X I get a panic it shuts down and then reboots to clover next time I choose OS X all is fine.
I think clover has added something to the Windows ssd EFI. I just need to work out what should be on the standard win10 EFI partition
I haven't found a solution to my shutdown or standby issues yet

Hi there, I come with an update regarding this issue.
I am now running Mac OS version 10.12.3 and everything is running fine. My setup has 3 disks:
1. OSX SSD
2. Windows 10 SSD
3. Storage

Sometimes randomly I am still getting the same problem in which I see a spinning wheel with a black screen but it doesn't shut down. Also, disk utility doesn't show my drives at all and it is only fixed when I disable my additional drives on the BIOS. Any help out there?

I added some images above in case they help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back