Contribute
Register

Show us your system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lnx2Mac said:
tinkerC said:
I am getting my checks into a form that credit cards can spend, and then I will start purchasing. I do not yet have a hackintosh.
Way to go ! :thumbup:
I though you already had yours... Sorry for insinuating otherwise. :oops:

Nice to know that people think I am a thief.

Tom

tinkerC said:
Yes, it was. :oops:

Tom

Hey, don't be blue (or in the case of the smiley, red)! We're all laughing with you!
(and by the way, you can edit it ;))

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:
Yes, it was. :oops:

Tom

Hey, don't be blue (or in the case of the smiley, red)! We're all laughing with you!
(and by the way, you can edit it ;))

I know that. You know, there should be a blue smiley :think: .

Tom

This is my system; I don't even have a picture of its exterior... :) Though the Fractal Design Define R2 is really pretty.

Components:
Board: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i5-750, 4x 2.67GHz @3.2GHz (SpeedStep & TurboBoost enabled)
CPU-Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
Graphics: Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT 512MB (passive cooling)
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Eco CL7 1600MHz
AirPort: BCM94321MC with PCIe-adaptor (shipping...)
Bluetooth: MSI BToes 2.1 EDR Micro Dongle (REALLY tiny)
HDs:
74GB Raptor (boot; to be replaced with OCZ Agility 2 60GB)
2x 2TB Hitachi RAID0 (data)
2x 1TB Hitachi RAID0 +
3x 750GB Samsung RAID0 (TimeMachine)[/list]
Optical drive: Apple-branded Pioneer DVR-112 IDE SuperDrive
eSATA: HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 (4-port)
PSU: Cooler Master 600W Silent Pro
Case: Fractal Design Define R2

I had to mount the Mugen blowing from top to bottom because else the graphics card wouldn't have fit in. Now there's about 2mm of space between the two heatsinks after I pulled the graphics card down as far as possible before affixing it. :p

The graphics card idles at 67°C, which made me think about the airflow inside my case – and I found a problem: There are two fans in the front, each pulling ~65 (total: ~130) cubic metres per hour in and only one of the same kind in the rear, pushing only ~65 out. => No proper airflow!
That's why I ordered a 120mm 14dB 121 cubic metres per hour (maximum throughput in this noise-range) fan for the rear yesterday. After installing it I'll dim the front fans a bit so the in- and outflows match.
Maybe I'll be able to affix the remaining fan to the graphics card's cooler to improve its cooling; maybe with a zip-tie around the very rim of the graphics card so the fan "stands" on it. We'll see...

Attachments

• DSCF1249.JPG
    DSCF1249.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
flatfoot. That is a nice case!

r.

rabbit74 said:
flatfoot. That is a nice case!

r.

Yeah, I love it, too.

Originally, I was simply looking for a case with eight 3.5" bays. This one was actually them most affordable I found and just happened to be very robust, well processed, noise-dampened and to have nice cable-routing holes and many more features.

For those who want to learn more:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=32

LinusTechTips unboxing:
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfV2Sm9Kwc[/VIDEO]

The one thing I didn't like is that the cut-out behind the place where the CPU socket is is actually not big enough to give access to all four mounting screws of the 1156 socket of my board (which does follow the reference design for all I know).

I hear that. I don't understand the default for most cases having 4, 5, or 6 5.25 inch bays.

Who uses that many DVD drives?

More Hard Drive bays just makes more sense.

My Lian Li case has 7 3.5 inch slots which is nice but it still has 5 x 5.25 inch bays so the damn case is a full 2 feet high.

What are they thinking?

r.

rabbit74 said:
I hear that. I don't understand the default for most cases having 4, 5, or 6 5.25 inch bays.

Who uses that many DVD drives?

More Hard Drive bays just makes more sense.

My Lian Li case has 7 3.5 inch slots which is nice but it still has 5 x 5.25 inch bays so the damn case is a full 2 feet high.

What are they thinking?

r.

They were thinking about all of the people who use many CDs at once, or use 5.25 inch Hot swappable bays.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back