Contribute
Register

Should I get a 2012 or 2013 iMac to use as a display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A
CPU
i5 4690k
Graphics
Asus Ge-force GTX 960
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 2012/2013 iMac to use as a display and am unsure which model of buying, most likely a 21.5" version.

I've been looking around and seems to be little price difference between a 2.7Ghz, with Iris graphics low end 2012 and a 2.9Ghz 750m high end 2013 model. This will be my first Mac and would like a good one, however, do have a compatible PC (Z97-A, i5 4960k, GTX960 2GB, 8GB ram, 250 SSD, 2TB HDD) that I only built in September. If I owned a Mac I would have access to OSX and have more justification than 'borrowing the software on a bootable USB'. I am considering hakintoshing my PC and running the mac screen with my current as a second monitor, (I know I'll need to add a thunderbolt card-my motherboard is thunderbolt ready). Obviously you need the iMac fully running to start up the display feature but, will the specs affect the running of programs?

I am looking at trying out video editing/coding and seems wise to have both Windows and OS X. It would be nice to have both operating systems running side by side but seems like a waste of money to buy a high spec mac if I have a more than capable PC. In addition, I am attempted to save and buy a Macbook Pro (either 2014 or wait for the 2016 model to come out as my birthday is in August) and would like to also use the screen through the iMac. I know that the thunderbolt display is another option, however, seems silly to buy one for the same price as an iMac.

All advice is appreciated,

Many thanks,

Hazzer.

I've have done some more research and seems that the 27" all are 1440pp resoultion from 2009-2012 (as the display function was only introduced in '09), making the 2009 a viable option. The only issues that I could see with this is that '09 will lose support for newer OSX's and possibly making it impossible to use as a mointer (if I upgraded my PC lets say to 10.13). Is there a differernce in refersh rate?

If you are talking about using the iMac Target Display Mode. You have some limitations. the 2009 and 2010 27" iMac models can use a mini displayport input from another Mac or a PC. This would work well for a Hackintosh. I have a 2009 27" iMac that will work as a display for a Hack running OS X or when running Windows.

The version of OS X on the iMac being used as a display is not important as long as it supports the target display mode. It does not have to be the same version as the computer providing the display signal.

The newer, Thunderbolt equipped iMacs are more problematic. As far as I know, they will only work with another Mac. A thunderbolt equipped PC/Hackintosh will not work with a newer thunderbolt equipped iMac as a display.

My current Hackintosh has a Thunderbolt card and works well with an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It will not work with my 2012 Thunderbolt equipped iMac.

Apple has disabled the target display mode on all newer iMacs including the 5K Retina iMac.

Bottom line is that in order to use an iMac as a display for a Hackintosh, you will need a 2009 or 2010 27" iMac. The Hackintosh should have a graphics card with a mini displayport output. Don't worry about future updates to OS X as the current versions support the target display mode.

I've have done some more research and seems that the 27" all are 1440pp resoultion from 2009-2012 (as the display function was only introduced in '09), making the 2009 a viable option. The only issues that I could see with this is that '09 will lose support for newer OSX's and possibly making it impossible to use as a mointer (if I upgraded my PC lets say to 10.13). Is there a differernce in refersh rate?

I would avoid all of the 2009 and 2010 iMacs, they are cheap for a reason. They have had major
problems with the LED backlight on those LG made panels. They can be repaired but that takes
a significant amount of time and money. Just google "led backlight iMac 27" and you can read
all about the problems with those. Not sure if the 2011 versions had the same problem.

i had a late 2009 i5 QC / 4850 minidisplayport 27" imac 2560x1440 which i used for a year on my hackintosh as the primary display. the hackintosh outperformed the imac of course so i rarely cmd+f2 over to the imac, it was almost exclusively used as a display for my hackintosh. overall i was not happy with the display. mirrorlike reflections (like you can see your face in the reflection at all times), uneven lighting, ran hot etc etc. have used 5k retina imac at work since the models were released and those too are too reflective to be used more than casually imo. anyway i replaced my 2009 imac display with a few screens over the years, and have settled on the dell u2515w which is probably the nicest screen i've ever laid eyes upon. i shudder to add i even like how it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back