Contribute
Register

Should I buy NVMe SSD for building Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus prime b250m-a
CPU
Intel core i3 7100 Kaby Lake
Graphics
Intel HD graphics 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am planning to build a hackintosh. Searching for compatible components that would work from the box. I am new to builds and installation, so I want to do it without any problems.
I would like to buy components from "CustoMac mATX" buyers guide (Gigabyte Z390 M and Core i7-9700K).
But I confused that it recommends to buy a Samsung 860 EVO SSD.
Could I buy a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe, because its speed seems to be much faster. Would I have any troubles in installation process?
Or please recommend any compatible NVMe SSD model which works from the box.

I am planning to build a hackintosh. Searching for compatible components that would work from the box. I am new to builds and installation, so I want to do it without any problems.
I would like to buy components from "CustoMac mATX" buyers guide (Gigabyte Z390 M and Core i7-9700K).
But I confused that it recommends to buy a Samsung 860 EVO SSD.
Could I buy a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe, because its speed seems to be much faster. Would I have any troubles in installation process?
Or please recommend any compatible NVMe SSD model which works from the box.

The old EVO Plus drives did not work they caused KP, however Samsung did a firmware update and that fixed the issues. So you can buy the EVO Plus and it will work. Most of the new ones work without updating the firmware as they are sold with updated firmware. But on the off chance you buy it from somewhere that has old stock you may have to update the firmware. The firmware is free and you can find it on Samsungs web page I personally did not have luck with Samsungs tool. So I used a program called Rufus and the firmware from Samsung to make a bootable USBkey flasher it was pretty easy. I have two EVO Plus drives and I have no issues with them I did have to flash them both but mine are years old. I also have some WD SN 750 drives and they are also very good albeit slightly slower but the reality is unless you are always transferring really large files you will not see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back