Contribute
Register

SERIOUSLY NEED ASSISTANCE RE INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD [PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

From what I remember, when I first built mine the HD5770 had no support in SL, so I got a GT120 like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-GeForce-GT-120-512-MB-Graphics-Card-for-Mac-Pro-2009/222787005787?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160908110712&meid=71532a4f6a184b4c8cb1c44bba38bd91&pid=100677&rk=4&rkt=30&sd=252904105891&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598 and installed it instead of the HD5770. I used this card in my X58 build at first until 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 when Apple added support for the HD5770.
This lack of support for the GPU in 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 (depending on the install DVD version you have) may be what is causing your problems with the re-installation.
Yes. And thank you for your quick response, G.B. However, remember when we first met? It had actually installed with no problem! Back THEN the problem was AFTER installation, which you helped me with. With your expertise, I was able to get back to the SNOW LEOPARD on the desktop, add the changes necessary, and of course copy the dsdt aml on the desktop. IT RAN FOR YEARS, at least since we met here. I'm a bit chagrined, certainly. It's same installation disc, and the same GIGABYTE RADEON 5770 SO card that got it initially installed YEARS ago. Still, though, the difference in the equation is the MONITOR, as at the time I had the cinema display which sadly, I no longer have [really liked that monitor]. Tried using HDMI, to no avail, as that didn't even work at all. I thought that if I used the flags the system would stay awake, but no. I know there HAS to be a way, so I guess the next step is to get some funds together and get a GT120 when I can. See if that works. OR see if I can get my Cinema display out of storage and rig it to come to life long enough to recreate the initial conditions that set up my system the first time. Has to be a way to keep the monitor and system awake through installation. If my MACBOX disc installed before [and it did] it can install now. But I am grateful to all of your for your ideas and support. And after having the use of OSX in a really POWERFUL MACHINE, I can't go back to APPLE hardware, I just CAN'T! I WON'T [Seinfeld reference intended as humor in the midst of a horrible situation. Plus it's TRUE. I'm NEVER getting another machine that I can't put the things in it that I want without pawning my instruments and getting a car title loan to do it]. Honestly, after building this and using it for so long, I GET why Apple refuses to just release their operating system. No one would ever buy another one of their systems, even IF "they just work." I'm still...FASCINATED at how much the G5 cost when I got it only to find out that it only had a 160 gigabyte drive and 512 MB (!!!!) of RAM. For the same price I BUILT THE U.S.S. DEFIANT WITH 24 GIGS OF RAM AND A 1TB HDD AND 4 OPTICALS, so NO!! I AIN'T GOING BACK. [Okay...now that I've gotten that out of my system..] I'm certain there is a solution to this. I'll save and get a GT120 from ebay as per G.B.'s suggestion, and see if that works. While on the subject, if it comes back to LIFE, would it be possible to substitute THAT card for a GIGABYTE GTX 980 ti? I'm learning animation and video on my PC side and as much as I dig my 5770 I am certain it will need replacing. I'd really like to get that one [if I can find it on sale OR get a super great gig that allows me to save up for it and get it IF IT WORKS]. I know IT and all of the OTHER cards will work on the PC side, just hoping to have it work like my RADEON did for so many years on BOTH sides. Of course, that's if I get OS 10.6.3 re installed and updated first.

Last edited:
I'll save and get a GT120 from ebay

I've used a GT 210 with success for SL. The 210 model should cost much less than a used 120. You can even find an 8400GS for less than the 210. That one will definitely work with Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
I've used a GT 210 with success for SL. The 210 model should cost much less than a used 120. You can even find an 8400GS for less than the 210. That one will definitely work with Snow Leopard.
Thanks for that intel [no pun intended, unless it's considered great] TRS96, on the GT210 card. I found one on Amazon for under forty dollars. Plan to get it when it comes in stock and try IT. I also happened across THIS from another site on the 980 TI. Let me clear, I don't plan on trying to INSTALL with that card, things are challenging enough as it is, not to mention I don't have a budget for the GIGABYTE version, which is the one I would choose. But it does give me hope that once I get this running, I can switch to it and get a bit more on both sides of my system. All the video and heavy lifting is on the PC side, although I bit the bullet and bought FINAL CUT years ago when I could of course, find a copy on sale l [only the famous musicians get to purchase whatever they want...large recording budgets. The rest of us figure out how to make our own studios and shoot our own videos, which is fine. I am GLAD I started learning how to do this stuff]. Anyway, this is the link from the 980 guy, in case anyone else is thinking along these lines. I'm getting a 210 to get it back up and running, so again, this is just for anyone else considering the GTX 980. Bear in mind, this card was FLASHED, so that may be why it worked - -

#1 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/hint-10-6-4-on-mac-pro-5-1-with-980ti.1966837/

"Long story short - I had to reformat my Mac Pro 5,1, which came with an ATI 5870 GPU, and now has a flashed GTX980Ti installed. Not expecting to get anywhere, I tried to boot from the 10.6.4 DVD and low and behold it worked fine. No acceleration of course, but it was able to install, update to 10.6.8, and update using the Mac App Store to upgrade 10.11.4. Not sure if anyone will run into this issue in the future, but I thought I would post my findings in the event it would help someone at a later date. I know I should have had a USB installer of a later OS but under the circumstances, I only had the Snow Leopard DVD. I am sure this is only because the GPU is flashed, but it did indeed work to my surprise!"

Maybe later. See if it works. Anyway, First things first. Thanks again, TRS96. I will post results when I get the card.

Of course, most of you guys are moving on to SIERRA, so it doesn't matter, as they are making drivers available for these cards. This is just for others like myself who can't leave SNOW LEOPARD or WINDOWS 7 just yet and want to use a card that works in both. I would love to just join you all on the journey to SIERRA, but all my software would be USELESS. Can't go to the land of SIERRA until SNOW LEOPARD yields enough bread to make it worth it..i.e. I finish my music and it makes enough to be able to purchase new software. Or better yet...I get to build a whole new MACHINE and purchase new software. "You got to have a dream in order to make a dream come true." Heard that one on a Brian Tracy personal development audio.

Last edited:
HOT NEWSFLASH!
GUYS!! GOT IT INSTALLED! Well, at least I got to the part where I'm putting my name in the system. Monitor cut off again while putting in my password. I expect it to be okay, though. Just have to make it to the desktop, put in my dsdt aml for my UD7 motherboard and of course, redo the multibeast settings, although THIS time I'm going full 64bit. I'll let you guys know what's going in the next round.
Didn't get another card yet. I actually pulled the card from my G5 when I remembered it was a flashed 7800 card [BFG Geforce] but it was an AGP so I couldn't use it. Got back to making MAXIMUM EFFORT to see if I could install it. Read something online about pulling the monitor's power cord from the main strip I use and putting it on its own outlet. Didn't work at first. Tried it again, this time got to 14 minutes before the monitor cut off. I was going to cut off the system again, but THIS time saw the DVD drive light was still going, as well as watching the lights flash on top of my system showing it was still working. Waited until all activity stopped, then shut down the system. Rebooted, iBoot in Drive and a prayer from the heart and saw SNOW LEOPARD!! Now I just have to complete the basics in the beginning, multibeast and settings, dsdt on the desktop, SET THE MONITOR TO NEVER SLEEP and get my software RE-INSTALLED. I'll keep you posted. I remember it installed the first time with the 5770 [although I know I'll have to get a new card one day] so I felt like it should still be possible with the same card. The only difference this time was not having the original Display. I'm actually kicking my behind for going into debt to get the original display I had, knowing what I know now. I'm kicking my butt for doing the same getting the doggone G5, quite honestly. Still, I wouldn't even be HERE if I hadn't done it as I started with a cobbled together G3 so, it's all good. I'll let you know what happens next.

OKAY. Made it through the welcome and password screen, and got the keyboard identified. On the desktop. Placed the dsdt FA [I think that's the one I got from GB awhile back] for GIGABYTE EX58A UD7, but couldn't find Multibeast in the iBoot disc. Didn't see the hard drive, but I am certain that it's solid. I'm guessing the next stage is to go find MULTIBEAST, download it, and put it on the desktop and go back and RELOAD. I'll let you all know where I'm at. Plan to go full 64 bit this time. If successful in getting it all back on point, then the next challenge will be an attempt to replace my video card with the 980 ti in two months if it's actually possible, mostly because the 5770 may bite the dust and I really would like a nicer card to replace it...one that will work. I'll be certain to post photos so everyone can see it.
One thing I would share with ANYONE ELSE who goes through this: BY ALL MEANS BE PATIENT WITH YOUR TECH AND WITH YOURSELF. I'm still a ways from being set up again, but closer than yesterday. And if I had JUST WAITED till I heard from experts like GOING BALD and the others, perhaps I might have been able to actually SAVE MY ORIGINAL DRIVE and none of this would be necessary. Still, it's all good. "Do WHAT you can. Do the BEST you can." Jim Rohn.
Okay guys. Just wanted to let you know where it is right now. Cheers.

WELL ALRIGHT. Here to report that SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8 is now RE INSTALLED on my hard drive. I had a couple of curious things to happen, in that while installing 10.6.8, the monitors again went out [!] and it became necessary to once again shut down the system. Upon rebooting with iBoot [much to my chagrin, because the guide says DO NOT REBOOT], it went back to SNOW LEOPARD [!] so just to be safe, I decided to RE INSTALL 10.6.8. which honestly, worked out a bit better than last time. I had to go to 10.6.4 all the way up before 10.6.8, which became a bit challenging, but it got done the first time. THIS time, it installed, I went to Multi Beast [MUCH changed since I got the specs from GB years ago] and pretty much just winged it as for as putting stuff in the mix. With much music in my hands and EVER SO MUCH PRAYER IN MY HEART I, with great intrepidity [at least I like to think so] pulled the iBoot 3.3 disc out and WENT FOR IT. Straight to SNOW LEOPARD! AND THE MONITOR STOPPED GOING TO SLEEP!! To borrow a phrase from Stan Lee, EXCELSIOR!!
Still far from over, as I am not seeing the hard drive icon on the desktop, but the system is seeing all 24 GIGABYTES of my Ram. Hoping that upon re installing my music software, it does the same there as well. I remember previously I only saw 4 gigs in LOGIC [I was, FASCINATED, to say the least] however, if this holds, quite possibly I will see the full MEASURE of my RAM in all of my programs. I may even be able to finally do more heavy lifting on THE MAC side, which would be AWESOME.
Like I said, a couple of key things: Didn't need to change the card, which was great [although I know I'll need a replacement one day, but it's working NOW], a kernal panic once or twice just getting to the installation, missing hard drive icon on the desktop, but other than that, I am almost ready to begin re installing my software. Thanks GB and the rest of you for your insights. I'll keep you posted on all progress from here. Thank you. Cheers to all.

UPDATE: HARD DRIVES BACK ON DESKTOP. SO FAR EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD. FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO MAY SEE MISSING DRIVES, CHECK YOUR FINDER PREFERENCES AND MAKE SURE THAT VISIBILITY IS CHECKED. MISSING WIRELESS/INTERNET BUT THINK I'LL BE ABLE TO SORT THAT OUT.

UPDATE: AMPED WIRELESS USB IS WORKING FOR THE MOST PART. STILL A FEW HICCUPS. WILL IRON THOSE OUT. FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-300N 600mW USB Adapter WILL WORK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back