Contribute
Register

SERIOUSLY NEED ASSISTANCE RE INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD [PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone and anyone. Recently had a tragedy in that my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 build of the previous five plus years took a nose dive. In attempting to clone the drive, accidentally ERASED it. I was able to get to my storage and get my Snow Leopard disc from my Macbox set, downloaded iBoot 3.3 burned a CD of it. Got back to Snow Leopard install screen and managed to format the drive yet again to GUID. However, in attempting to re install my software, the monitor cuts off, the computer remains on, but the snow leopard install CEASES. The system seems to be going into a type of "sleep mode". I've tried various boot flags like "GraphicsEnabler=yes/no", PCIRootUID=1, to no avail to keep everything running until it re installs. Absolutely didn't have THIS problem the first time; then it was getting to stop hanging up on reboot. Of course, then I had a different monitor, but my Graphics tablet monitor used to be FINE on startup when Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was running. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can offer a bit of assistance. Yes, I hope to build a new machine soon, but I need the one I HAVE to use the SOFTWARE and HARDWARE [FW - 1884] I already have..although I think THIS time I'm just going to go full 64 bit and give up on using the FW 1884 and save up for a new digital mixer. Again the problem is as follows
iBoot/Snow Leopard swap works great, although even then, sometimes the system goes to sleep [ie the monitor cuts off, Blu ray or CD drive stops running while the system remains on]
If it makes to the Installation screen, it may install [I go to CUSTOMIZE and uncheck EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR THE BASIC INSTALL] for about 3 minutes and go to sleep. Frustrating.

ALL OTHER DRIVES ARE DISCONNECTED [I built a PC drive for doing VIDEO and Animation, as it became abundantly clear I would be able to do a bit more on that side of the system, as it's full 64 bit. Still chafing a bit that Tascam never made a 64 bit driver for their Tascam FW 1884 to work in Logic Pro 9 in OSX].

Here is my build.
BUILD (saved for months to get the parts)
Gigabyte EX58 UD7 rev 2 SOCKET 1366
4 gig G.SKILL Ripjaws (have more to place in system once I get it running properly)
Have a Zonet Wireless CArd which is supposed to work, but haven't placed in the system yet...waiting to get it fully functioning.
XIGMATEK DARK KNIGHT CPU COOLER
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000
Core i7 950
Gigabyte ATI RADEON HD 5770 SO [would like to replace it with GTX card of some kind one day once I can save for it and know that it will work for my video production build on the PC side, as well as some of the extra work I was doing on the MAC side. I still have my copy of SHAKE from the OLD days, along with my FINAL CUT box. Would be GREAT to still be able to use it, only have things work FASTER being in both 64 bit and having a faster card, although I still like my Radeon. I need to replace it anyway though, the fan seems to be coming loose.]
LITE ON BLU RAY
SAMSUNG DVD DL
WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB HD
1000 WAtt HEC PSU

I got it up and running the first time with the expert help of GOING BALD who had a similar set up. I can really use someone's expertise here. I've looked in all of the forums and have yet to even find someone with the same problem, although I am CERTAIN it's happened at least once during Snow Leopard's installation. Do I need to do my BIOS settings all over again? I never changed them except to make the hard drive first in the boot order, and for that I just hit F12 as it boots up and switch to my blu ray drive, which is fine for loading iBoot. ANY ASSISTANCE will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Still kind of a newbie. I admit that freely.
UPDATE: APOLOGIES. PLEASE MOVE THIS POST TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM.

Hi everyone and anyone. Recently had a tragedy in that my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 build of the previous five plus years took a nose dive. In attempting to clone the drive, accidentally ERASED it. I was able to get to my storage and get my Snow Leopard disc from my Macbox set, downloaded iBoot 3.3 burned a CD of it. Got back to Snow Leopard install screen and managed to format the drive yet again to GUID. However, in attempting to re install my software, the monitor cuts off, the computer remains on, but the snow leopard install CEASES. The system seems to be going into a type of "sleep mode". I've tried various boot flags like "GraphicsEnabler=yes/no", PCIRootUID=1, to no avail to keep everything running until it re installs. Absolutely didn't have THIS problem the first time; then it was getting to stop hanging up on reboot. Of course, then I had a different monitor, but my Graphics tablet monitor used to be FINE on startup when Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was running. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can offer a bit of assistance. Yes, I hope to build a new machine soon, but I need the one I HAVE to use the SOFTWARE and HARDWARE [FW - 1884] I already have..although I think THIS time I'm just going to go full 64 bit and give up on using the FW 1884 and save up for a new digital mixer. Again the problem is as follows
iBoot/Snow Leopard swap works great, although even then, sometimes the system goes to sleep [ie the monitor cuts off, Blu ray or CD drive stops running while the system remains on]
If it makes to the Installation screen, it may install [I go to CUSTOMIZE and uncheck EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR THE BASIC INSTALL] for about 3 minutes and go to sleep. Frustrating.

ALL OTHER DRIVES ARE DISCONNECTED [I built a PC drive for doing VIDEO and Animation, as it became abundantly clear I would be able to do a bit more on that side of the system, as it's full 64 bit. Still chafing a bit that Tascam never made a 64 bit driver for their Tascam FW 1884 to work in Logic Pro 9 in OSX].

Here is my build.
BUILD (saved for months to get the parts)
4 gig G.SKILL Ripjaws (have more to place in system once I get it running properly)
Have a Zonet Wireless CArd which is supposed to work, but haven't placed in the system yet...waiting to get it fully functioning.
Core i7 950
Gigabyte ATI RADEON HD 5770 SO [would like to replace it with GTX card of some kind one day once I can save for it and know that it will work for my video production build on the PC side, as well as some of the extra work I was doing on the MAC side. I still have my copy of SHAKE from the OLD days, along with my FINAL CUT box. Would be GREAT to still be able to use it, only have things work FASTER being in both 64 bit and having a faster card, although I still like my Radeon. I need to replace it anyway though, the fan seems to be coming loose.]
LITE ON BLU RAY
SAMSUNG DVD DL
1000 WAtt HEC PSU

I got it up and running the first time with the expert help of GOING BALD who had a similar set up. I can really use someone's expertise here. I've looked in all of the forums and have yet to even find someone with the same problem, although I am CERTAIN it's happened at least once during Snow Leopard's installation. Do I need to do my BIOS settings all over again? I never changed them except to make the hard drive first in the boot order, and for that I just hit F12 as it boots up and switch to my blu ray drive, which is fine for loading iBoot. ANY ASSISTANCE will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Still kind of a newbie. I admit that freely.
UPDATE: APOLOGIES. PLEASE MOVE THIS POST TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM.
moved to snow leopard desktop support

I was able to get to my storage and get my Snow Leopard disc from my Macbox set, downloaded iBoot 3.3 burned a CD of it.

Did you know that you can't use the gray colored disks from Apple to install Snow Leopard ? It must be the retail version.
Looks like this:
upload_2018-1-12_12-7-25.png

Did you know that you can't use the gray colored disks from Apple to install Snow Leopard ? It must be the retail version.
Looks like this:
View attachment 305527
Hi. Thanks for your reply. This is the disk I used to install it the first time. And it came with the MACBOX set from Apple although I think I purchased it at the local MICROCENTER years ago. When you say retail, I'm guessing you mean purchased? Or was the version that didn't come with MACBOX different? I'm just asking because I honestly don't know. I thought they were the same and that Apple just bundled SNOW LEOPARD with the other apps to get you to buy them all at the same time. At the time I bought it, that was the only version available so I went ahead and got it and it came with iLife and iWork.

Hi. I'm including a picture of my Snow Leopard Install disc. If I remember correctly you could install it more than once. I used it before when G.B. helped me to sort this out the first time years ago. Back then the issue was getting back to the desktop after the install, which he helped me accomplish. NOW the issue is keeping the system awake to GET to the installation and if getting there, STAYING AWAKE LONG ENOUGH FOR IT RE INSTALL. The monitor cuts off, disk activity ceases, installation quits. It ran amazingly for years. Also while doing this, I'm hoping I can swap my Gigabyte Radeon 5770 SO card for a Gigabyte GTX 980 ti down the line [maybe in two months] because I think my Radeon is dying out. No problems with it on my PC hard drive in the same enclosure. Great card and G.B. once again expertly showed me how to get it to work with the system [he has the same M.B. and a 5770. Even the same case, which is cool. Hate that Cooler Master no longer manufactures the CLASSIC 1000, although they have newer versions. Kind of the difference between Kirk's Enterprise and the Alphabet Ships, nicer looking perhaps, but just not the same]. Got it installed years ago, but again, the problem is the system goes to sleep and quits. All I can do is cut off the machine. My windows Hard drive runs like a champ still. One thing is certain...I get this back up and running I'll run and get another 1TB to make a duplicate drive. Any help in solving this is greatly appreciated. MACBOX SNOW LEOPARD DISC.jpg
WB

Last edited:
Okay. Update to previous post: Went back, checked BIOS, and the only thing I had to change was to make my optical drive the first one up. Of course, I was doing this using F12, but just to be certain, I went back and went through everything. The same problem still exists: I get to iBoot, Disk Swap, spinning wheel "round and round" [with apologies to BLood Sweat and Tears], I get to the install screen, customize it and remove everything except for the basics, click install, shown 19 minutes as it starts to move, then the monitor blacks out, system keeps running but the installation is halted. I've tried using GraphicsEnabler=yes/no, PCIRootUID=1/0 to keep it going. PCIRoot flag brings a kernal panic if you use 0, the other one just doesn't get to the installation...at all. For anyone else experiencing this, all I can say is take heart and be patient. The guys who've gone before always have an answer. Now I'm wondering If I use something that I got from G.B. to use after the initial install years ago to get to the desktop to apply my dsdt aml for UD7 rev. 2 can be used to keep the monitor and thus the installation going until it is complete -- -f -x -v ATIconfig=Vervet or maybe that can only be used after install. What do you guys think? Worth a shot?

We need to have you put the hardware you are using into your profile https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details

I would suggest that you unplug everything not required for the install. All drives (like the Blu Ray) all of the peripherals other than the mouse and keyboard. What kind of monitor are you using and how is it connected ?

Monoprice 30-Inch IPS 2560x1600 LED Monitor bought it on sale to replace the original monitor. It has an HDMI, DVI, Displayport on it.Originally had an Apple Cinema Display with my G5 running Tiger. I connected the Cinema Display to my new system build. This was the monitor I originally had when I first installed Snow Leopard. I was so excited that I got it to work I dubbed my machine the U.S.S. DEFIANT. I changed to the Monoprice a few years later when the Cinema Display quit working.

Monoprice 30" IPS display [they were blowing them out at the time for 499!!]
24 gig G.SKILL Ripjaws [pulled all but 8 gigs earlier to do this, although I didn't have to before]

Core i7 950
Gigabyte ATI RADEON HD 5770 SO
LG WH16NS40 Blu Ray [Internal]

LITE ON BLU RAY [External since I pulled it from the system years ago and placed it in an enclosure]
SAMSUNG DVD DL
Sony Optiarc
Pioneer Blu ray Drive
1000 WAtt HEC PSU

The PC side works fine, of course. No sleep issues or anything. Only happens on the side when I attempt to re install. I also put my motherboard build in my profile. Not sure how to customize it to put everything in it. By the way, I'd already unplugged all of the drives, to no avail. System still snoozes. I'm guessing it's the system itself, as the monitor quits, then the system, or both simultaneously, although the computer is still on. Just no Snow Leopard installation. This went much easier the first time it seems. I'm using iBoot 3.3 also. Oh and I tried switching monitors using an Acer but that cut off as well.

The PC side works fine, of course. No sleep issues or anything. Only happens on the side when I attempt to re install. I also put my motherboard build in my profile. Not sure how to customize it to put everything in it. By the way, I'd already unplugged all of the drives, to no avail. System still snoozes. I'm guessing it's the system itself, as the monitor quits, then the system, or both simultaneously, although the computer is still on. Just no Snow Leopard installation. This went much easier the first time it seems. I'm using iBoot 3.3 also. Oh and I tried switching monitors using an Acer but that cut off as well.

From what I remember, when I first built mine the HD5770 had no support in SL, so I got a GT120 like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-GeFo...d=252904105891&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598 and installed it instead of the HD5770. I used this card in my X58 build at first until 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 when Apple added support for the HD5770.
This lack of support for the GPU in 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 (depending on the install DVD version you have) may be what is causing your problems with the re-installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back