Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Motherboard
Z370 HD3P
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
After all the problems i read about the security update. Might it be wiser to go from sierra 10.12.5 directly to high sierra?
thx

Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4 / GA-Z270X-ULTRA-GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT / GTX 1050Ti
After all the problems i read about the security update. Might it be wiser to go from sierra 10.12.5 directly to high sierra?
thx

Hmmm... but would that be easier then? I would just like to go the upgrade path - because I have a fully installed workstation-system.

It seems that really nobody in this thread had a seamless install/upgrade without issues - everybody had to updates certain kexts or broke their systems complete and so on - and nobody could really say like "THIS is the provided general update-solution" i this particular case. :(

Leaves a lot of us behind with vulnerable systems & very unsure which way to go from here.... !?

Motherboard
Z370 HD3P
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Hmmm... but would that be easier then? I would just like to go the upgrade path - because I have a fully installed workstation-system.

It seems that really nobody in this thread had a seamless install/upgrade without issues - everybody had to updates certain kexts or broke their systems complete and so on - and nobody could really say like "THIS is the provided general update-solution" i this particular case. :(

Leaves a lot of us behind with vulnerable systems & very unsure which way to go from here.... !?
I thought i might be easier since there is a guide to update to high sierra like a normal mac with minor things to do like installing clover and coping some kexts. The comments and reports of success sounded much more promising than those in the security update thread.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
CPU
3.7 GHz Intel Core i3
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 530
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
My setup is HD530. Able to fix KP using another mac. (Screen shared)

Pre: download the new "lilu.kext" and the new "IntelGraphicsFixup.kext"

My steps:
- Boot in safe mode with boot flags as instructed "-liluoff" (It will freeze on the loading logo screen with about 70% completed) but you can screen share. That's if you enabled your screen/file sharing on the hackintosh.
- access hackintosh through screen share and copy the downloaded files (kexts mentioned above) on the desktop.
- Install with kextbeast in /Library/Extensions
- Reboot

Worked for me.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

Motherboard
Z87X-D3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
nvidia GT640

I would offer a few bits of advice:

- there is no definitive solution because the hardware and drivers people use are different. The security update is knocking out drivers, you need a way of booting without loading the drivers (for example I used nv_disable=1 but others used -liluoff) so you can install the newest versions of the drivers
- there's no real difference to doing updates like 10.x.x point releases/security updates and moving to the next version like High Sierra - you can always install any new version to the same disk and it will update on top of what was already there (unless you format the disk). My current 10.11 system has been updated from 10.8 -> 10.8.5 -> 10.10 -> 10.10.5 -> 10.11.3 -> 10.11.6 - the only 'clean' install was the original 10.8. Of course any particular update might bring its own weird problems which all depends on what Apple decides it wants to change/deprecate at any given time :D
- if your working system is precious figure out a backup system and keep a spare ssd/hd to test updates on. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and multiple SSDs. This takes out the fear of updates and you actually start to learn some stuff. IMHO it's better to know a little bit about how your system works and how to reliably fix problems instead of 'flying blind'.

Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4
CPU
i5-760
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Just FWIW, upgraded a series 5 (bios) system without any major hitches. I do not use lilu and the other kexts, clover still v4334. First restart to VESA mode, just installed newer NVIDIA driver as prompted, second restart black screen, third restart fully working as usual...

Motherboard
My Machine
CPU
Core I5-2500k @ ~4 ghz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX1060
Just in case this helps anyone, on my little ol 2500k with gtx1060, the update worked perfectly, no kernel panics.

Ran the update from the app store, rebooted, no updates to any of the hackintosh files, display wasn't using the nvidia web driver, updated driver, and im back writing this post. Motherboard sound, ethernet, usb working just as i left it.

Phew. This thread had me worried.

Feels faster even, but i take that as one of the post install tweaks i was applying actually wasn't that good after all.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 745
Finally did the Security Update on Sierra 12.6. I was worried because of all the posts Ive seen about the build going crazy. I didn't have all those kexts that need to be updated before the attempt so I just did it. Updated with no issues.:thumbup:

Motherboard
GA Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1060 SSC 6GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
[Intel 6700K on Gigabyte z170 ultra gaming, running Sierra]
Ran the update like all the updates since september (never had the slightest problem, so I think I've become confident, perhaps a bit too much!). Kernel Panic, like many here.
I tried many boot options mentioned here... The only thing that would get me to the desktop was -liluoff and disable "use Nvidia web drivers". At first I downloaded the latest Lilu, put the file in the folder 10.12 of the EFI, still a KP. Updated USBInjectAll and NvidiaGraphicsFixup at the same location. Still a KP.
Then found michelb76 post here, used KextBeast with all three kext files + AppleALC.kext on the desktop, and now the computer is back on its feet (I downloaded the latest web drivers once booted).
I wanted to post the photo of the KP, so I fired up Image Capture to get the file from my iPhone... the software crashed after importing photos. I'm pretty sure it was all fine before. Could you tell me if your Image Capture crashes or not ?
Other software crashing so I can try on my machine ?
Now I know : MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING !!!

cap 2018-02-20 à 02.43.43.jpg

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
128K, 512K, Plus, Portable, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Needing some help. Updated my MiniMac to the security updated. Updated Clover to the latest version.
GA-Z170H-Wifi
i5 6400
R9 280X
OS 10.12.6
I do not have HWSensor or HWMonitor loaded, did the security update and Sierra goes into loop. Kernal panic reads:
"Unsupported CPU"@/Users/kozlek/Documents/HWSensors/Shared/cpuid.h:698
I have searched for this everywhere but cannot find it on my system. Did not need to update Lilu or Whatevergreen because the R9 280X has always been OOB so I don't use them.

Last edited: