Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you be more precise about those usb3.0 issues ?

Re-reading over the steps for using FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, and
Specific Recommendations (7-series, 8-series, 9-series, X99)

Ended up with doing both the "_OSI" to "XOSI" patch and the "EHC1" to "EH01" patch....which seems to have solved my USB3 drive getting capped to 500mA. (at least it now shows up after reboot and so far hasn't suddenly disconnected on me during a time machine backup.....knock knock)

During this process, I broke my sound because at first I was editing config.plist by hand .... changed default app for plist files back... Though it feels like my audio is lower than it used to be, I see there are two AppleHDA_ALC283 kexts now in 2016.05.02....guess I need to try the other one.

• AppleHDA_ALC283_out.kext is "one plug only" for AudioIn (you need to reboot if you loose AudioIn) but it has no issue with quality drop after a few seconds if not used for AudioOut (EAPD Support, codec remains alive)
  • AppleHDA_ALC283.kext is hot plug compatible for AudioIn (system detects presence of MIC) but it has issue with quality drop after a few seconds if not used for AudioOut (lack of EAPD Support, codec sleeps, a Sleep/wake cycle wakes it)

Except that I'm using the audio jack for both In and Out....with (only) the microphone being switched back and forth by my KVM. (want both computers to alert me of things regardless of which position KVM is in....)

Suppose I could see about buying a new/different microphone or something (wonder where the webcam I was using on a real iMac at work disappeared to...silly down angle of built-in iSight camera...co-worker got one of those elevator platforms for his iMac....though he also uses from standing position, like running back and forth swapping tapes in tape library.)

The Dreamer

The great god, can I ask a few questions?
1、Adapter card can use bluetooth?
2、You can use the apple bluetooth keyboard into the BIOS?
3、I this host sometimes boot, machines run normally, lights, hard disk light is not on, the display is not bright, what reason be?

As I told you previously I modified my NUC to make it fanless. And the new Streacom case is a little bit bigger and can accept a 2,5' SSD. So from now own I have :

Intel NUS i5-4250U
Streacom NC2 case
USB 2.0 internal Header : Apple IR Receiver
Mini-PCIe Full size slot : BCM94360CDAX on Mini-PCIe adapter with 4 antennas
Mini-PCIe Half size slot : Mini-PCIe extender (ATTENTION it does NOT support mSATA drives !) for eGPU GTX750ti
Sata port : Crucial M500 SSD 500GB

Only just noticed that you went with a Streacom NC2 case...I've thought about changing my case.... had thought about the Morex 3219b...adds USB 2.0/SD reader/CIR to it....though looks like I'd have to add antennas separately....

Aside from thinking I want the bonus of an extra USB port and the SD reader ... hoping a different case will help keep my NUC cooler....

Have resorted to putting a small fan next to it....

Meanwhile...my USB 3.0 external drive dropped out on me again....almost made it to the 47 hour mark. Had been working flawlessly before 10.11.4 etc. though.

May have to buy that USB3.0 hub in my cart.

The Dreamer.

The great god, can I ask a few questions?
1、Adapter card can use bluetooth?
2、You can use the apple bluetooth keyboard into the BIOS?
3、I this host sometimes boot, machines run normally, lights, hard disk light is not on, the display is not bright, what reason be?
BCM94352

Re-reading over the steps for using FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, and

Ended up with doing both the "_OSI" to "XOSI" patch and the "EHC1" to "EH01" patch....which seems to have solved my USB3 drive getting capped to 500mA. (at least it now shows up after reboot and so far hasn't suddenly disconnected on me during a time machine backup.....knock knock)

During this process, I broke my sound because at first I was editing config.plist by hand .... changed default app for plist files back... Though it feels like my audio is lower than it used to be, I see there are two AppleHDA_ALC283 kexts now in 2016.05.02....guess I need to try the other one.

Except that I'm using the audio jack for both In and Out....with (only) the microphone being switched back and forth by my KVM. (want both computers to alert me of things regardless of which position KVM is in....)

Suppose I could see about buying a new/different microphone or something (wonder where the webcam I was using on a real iMac at work disappeared to...silly down angle of built-in iSight camera...co-worker got one of those elevator platforms for his iMac....though he also uses from standing position, like running back and forth swapping tapes in tape library.)

The Dreamer
I never had issues with USB3.0 (only USB2.0 handled by xHCI instead of EHCI, that's why I use partially Mux kext)

A diferent behaviour has been reported on various builds about USB3.0 since 10.11.4 ... I didn't really investigate.

About audio, you can try AppleHDA_ALC283.kext and install Soundflower/LineIn and keep the codec alive with then (there is post somewhere in the thread about it). Hopefully Rehabman will find a solution with CodecCommander soon as he's got a NUC now !

Only just noticed that you went with a Streacom NC2 case...I've thought about changing my case.... had thought about the Morex 3219b...adds USB 2.0/SD reader/CIR to it....though looks like I'd have to add antennas separately....

Aside from thinking I want the bonus of an extra USB port and the SD reader ... hoping a different case will help keep my NUC cooler....

Have resorted to putting a small fan next to it....

Meanwhile...my USB 3.0 external drive dropped out on me again....almost made it to the 47 hour mark. Had been working flawlessly before 10.11.4 etc. though.

May have to buy that USB3.0 hub in my cart.

The Dreamer.

You have 2 USB2.0 headers in the motherboard, for my part I plugged a genuine Apple IR receiver (2mm pitch header)

Yes, in some, according to what you mean, BCM94352 can also bluetooth into BIOS?
NO

If you want BIOS/Clover BT mouse/keyboard you have to get a genuine Apple BCM94360CD or CS (on a full length mini-PCIe adapter)

Hi thanks for all this. It let me successfully build a 2nd hand NUC D34010 from Fleabay with only some minor glitches.
I decided to change the wireless card before I started to one I had used in a previous hackintosh, just as well as I discovered the original card was missing! Then I just followed the above for everything apart from setting the serial number - I'll come to that last
After that everything went smoothly until after post install reboot when I noticed the on board ethernet stopped working. This was cured by copying the IntelMausiEthernet.kext to /library/System/Extensions/ running kext wizard to repair permissions and rebooting

Then I fixed the Intel4400 graphics by following this tutorial on YouTube youtu.be/LBCkvM1MHUo

All nice and functional now apart from the notorious App Store/verification trap. Luckily I had access to my partners Mac Mini, so I pinched it's serial number and followed this other tutorial on YouTube
youtu.be/bC4dCNHu-LE
One more reboot and I'm happily working on a sweet little NUC macmini
Thanks to all the people who put in the hard work to make my build so smooth
Madainn Mhath as we say in the Scottish Highlands

Last edited:
You can also give a look to the BCM94360CS2 which comes from a MBA and has only 2 antennas.

I have purchased an apple BCM94360CS2 (two antenna configuration for macbook air mid 2013) and to my surprise it uses a smaller connectors to antenna (NGFF/M.2 MHF4 connector), so in my hurry to test I remove those connectors and put a normal connectors on card and it is working OK (Clover and BIOS but it have an delay until is connected with my keyboard and mouse, not all the time but in some situations I need to wait for keyboard to connect for me be able to input my pass on login screen). Another approach is to by the right antenna cables to replace (but I was in a hurry). For this reason only I also purchased an apple BCM94360CD but that it is not working at all, system is showing her but doesn't connect on bluetooth or wireless so for that reason I asked about what connectors to use on her. Now I use my first card apple BCM94360CS2. I think also my apple BCM94360CD is defective it is show reflow signs.
So for those that want to try apple BCM94360CS2 be aware it have a smaller connectors for antenna than those that are in our NUCs.
Almost forgot, for a bad connection on bluetooth (mostly on mouse part) I needed to cover all the holes in internal metal case on external antenna area (the end of the antena cable), this because 2,4 GHz on wireless seems to interfere bluetooth signal, I used 3M aluminum tape to block 2.4 GHz signal to go back in inside of the metal case (internal case).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back