Contribute
Register

Sata III 6G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo74 said:
But... Mine are already SATA3.. I dont see where any other support is necessary?

Yes, and it's strange. Many people on various forums have SATA III drives limited to SATA II speeds, including myself :¬)

There was no official Apple SATA III support until the 2011 MBP, which means it will have different drivers. When my SATA III HDD benches 400MB/s read, I'll be pulling the trigger on a 550MB/s Vertex 3 SSD.

Yoga said:
Gordo74 said:
I'm using the only two ports on my motherboard that are SATA3 for my SSD's (one for OSX boot, one for Win7 boot). They are intel I believe.

Thanks. Hoping the 2011 MBP drivers will offer full support.

Yoga, I've got the same Sabertooth board. Not got these Kexts installed yet as I'm moving large amounts of data around through my system taking another 55 hours :(

Anyway, see attached. Although not recognised it suggests that SATA3 is working. I've got my two SATA3 drives both on the Intel ports. I am planning to check against the Marvell ports as well.

Must admit that I am disappointed with the Vertex 3 so far, although that is only on the benchmarks. In the real world it is fast :)

What SATA3 HDD do you have that gets 400MB/s? My Hitachi 7k3000 only gets about 150.

Attachments

• MacBook Pro.jpg
    MacBook Pro.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 116
  • XBench.jpg
    XBench.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 130
Nice purchase! :¬)

Have you benched that drive in Windows?

This HDD (sequential):

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 14&subcat=

Benched using CrystalDiskMark (or something similar), and ATTO.

I had two in RAID-1 for a while, and was getting 650 read, 350 write.

Out if interest, did you install any JMicron kexts?

Ah nearly bought a couple of those to run in raid-0 but then realised the ports on the Sabertooth aren't true hardware raid are they.

Anyway panic over, I've just done a Wacktest on my Vertex 3 :D :thumbup: :eek: Nice...

Attachments

• AJA System Test.jpg
    AJA System Test.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 131
  • AJA System Test Graph.jpg
    AJA System Test Graph.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 128
Gordo74 said:
Cool benchmark test
That is some serious read capability, but write must be hurting? Well depends on what you do of course. I'd be happy with that for my iTunes SAN with all my movies that just need to be shared and read....

dejongj said:
Gordo74 said:
Cool benchmark test
That is some serious read capability, but write must be hurting? Well depends on what you do of course. I'd be happy with that for my iTunes SAN with all my movies that just need to be shared and read....

It's a C300 drive. It's not meant to be sequential as the Sandforce drives are. The random reads are rather fast too. I cant complain, 95% of my use on a computer is reading. Everything opens before it even bounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back