Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse - fails to boot with power connected to dGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Pavo has stated, remove FakeSMC from /Library/Extensions/ as well as any other hackintosh kexts you have in /Library/Extensions/ such as Lilu and any of its plugins.
Yes, you need to remove all kexts that you have installed into L/E or S/L/E. The kexts that I have put into your EFI is the ones you need only. Once everything is working properly, then you can move them to L/E.

Just tried to boot back in to my working environment using the Mojave SSD and the iGPU with onboard HDMI - no joy. Fails on the line Start ReadKernelCache (never happened before). In the meantime, I've got Unibeast writing a new bootable USB so I can start from scratch.

Just tried to boot back in to my working environment using the Mojave SSD and the iGPU with onboard HDMI - no joy. Fails on the line Start ReadKernelCache (never happened before). In the meantime, I've got Unibeast writing a new bootable USB so I can start from scratch.
You could try going to Clover boot menu and hitting F11 to reset NVRAM, it will reboot on its own then try booting back into SSD. Make sure you make the changes into the BIOS from the guide you used before.

After deleting kexts from /Library/Extensions, did you rebuild kernel caches by running Kext Utility or the kextcache command line?

After deleting kexts from /Library/Extensions, did you rebuild kernel caches by running Kext Utility or the kextcache command line?

Previously, I've rebuilt with Kext Utility whenever I added or removed kexts from /L/E. At the moment I'm still trying to get back into the working Mojave so that I can delete all user additions from /L/E and start trying to boot with Pavo's EFI directories (from the previous pages)

My new Unibeast USB drive is ready, and I'm at the Begin Installation: Preflight Checklist part of your guide. One of the preflight items is 'Connect the GPU' - I'm wondering if I should do this or not. Did you use onboard HDMI or dGPU port for installation?

Previously, I've rebuilt with Kext Utility whenever I added or removed kexts from /L/E. At the moment I'm still trying to get back into the working Mojave so that I can delete all user additions from /L/E and start trying to boot with Pavo's EFI directories (from the previous pages)

My new Unibeast USB drive is ready, and I'm at the Begin Installation: Preflight Checklist part of your guide. One of the preflight items is 'Connect the GPU' - I'm wondering if I should do this or not. Did you use onboard HDMI or dGPU port for installation?
If you are going to do a fresh install, start with 1 monitor connected to dGPU. Once we get everything working properly with 1 monitor, we can work on getting multi monitor working. Also I am not seeing "Connect the GPU" under his Preflight Checklist.

I used the discrete GPU, but onboard HDMI is also workable.

If using onboard HDMI:
  • Initial installation will be okay.
  • In Post-Installation it will be necessary to add the framebuffer connector settings from the spoiler labeled "Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI". This should be done during post-installation (not after rebooting).

You could try going to Clover boot menu and hitting F11 to reset NVRAM, it will reboot on its own then try booting back into SSD. Make sure you make the changes into the BIOS from the guide you used before.

Thanks - resetting NVRAM didn't work - still can't boot into Mojave SSD. Going to install from scratch.

If you are going to do a fresh install, start with 1 monitor connected to dGPU. Once we get everything working properly with 1 monitor, we can work on getting multi monitor working. Also I am not seeing "Connect the GPU" under his Preflight Checklist.

Got it - this makes sense. I paraphrased his guide slightly, the line is:
  • Discrete GPU (Radeon RX series) has been installed and 8-pin PCI power cable connected.

I used the discrete GPU, but onboard HDMI is also workable.

If using onboard HDMI:
  • Initial installation will be okay.
  • In Post-Installation it will be necessary to add the framebuffer connector settings from the spoiler labeled "Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI". This should be done during post-installation (not after rebooting).

I'm booting into the Unibeast USB drive now to start over, following your guide to the letter, with one monitor connected to a DP port on the Vega.

Might there be an issue with my Mojave 14.3.3 installer? I also have 14.3.2 that I could use.
Are you getting the same issue with the installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back