Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse - fails to boot with power connected to dGPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Solved! The cause for my problems was an incorrectly configured Dell U2719D monitor. Ensure that your monitor settings are correct for the Vega card, and if in doubt - reset monitor settings to default.

Hi folks,

Instead of cluttering up CaseySJ's build thread I thought I'd start my own. I have a working build - all is well when I use the iGPU and the onboard HDMI port on the motherboard. But as soon as I connect the power cables to my Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse, I can't boot to the Mojave load screen.

Some details:
  • Mac OS 10.14.3
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • i7 9700k
  • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD
With the attached EFI directory (this is the complete EFI directory of my Mojave SSD), and the following setup, I can boot just fine so long as the Vega is disconnected from the power.
  • BIOS Initial Display Output: IGFX
  • BIOS Internal Graphics: Enabled
  • Vega disconnected from power
  • Monitor connected to onboard HDMI
  • All kexts in L/E
However, as soon as I connect the Vega to the power, these exact settings/configuration do not boot to Mojave load screen. So without changing anything other than powering the Vega, the boot process goes to a black screen at the line:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

Also, if I use the exact same EFI directory from the previous scenario, but change:
  • BIOS Initial Display Output: PCIE Slot 1
  • BIOS Internal Graphics: Disabled or Enabled
  • Vega connected to power
  • Monitor connected to Vega DP port
It also fails at the same line.

I've seen several success stories on TonyMac using the Pulse model, so I'm reasonably confident that it can be done. However, I've got 5 days left in my returns-window if I need to return the card, so I'm hoping to figure it out by then!

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI-iMac18,3-mcljot.zip
    20.8 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hi folks,

Instead of cluttering up CaseySJ's build thread I thought I'd start my own. I have a working build - all is well when I use the iGPU and the onboard HDMI port on the motherboard. But as soon as I connect the power cables to my Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse, I can't boot to the Mojave load screen.

Some details:
  • Mac OS 10.14.3
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • i7 9700k
  • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD
With the attached EFI directory (this is the complete EFI directory of my Mojave SSD), and the following setup, I can boot just fine so long as the Vega is disconnected from the power.
  • BIOS Initial Display Output: IGFX
  • BIOS Internal Graphics: Enabled
  • Vega disconnected from power
  • Monitor connected to onboard HDMI
  • All kexts in L/E
However, as soon as I connect the Vega to the power, these exact settings/configuration do not boot to Mojave load screen. So without changing anything other than powering the Vega, the boot process goes to a black screen at the line:

Also, if I use the exact same EFI directory from the previous scenario, but change:
  • BIOS Initial Display Output: PCIE Slot 1
  • BIOS Internal Graphics: Disabled or Enabled
  • Vega connected to power
  • Monitor connected to Vega DP port
It also fails at the same line.

I've seen several success stories on TonyMac using the Pulse model, so I'm reasonably confident that it can be done. However, I've got 5 days left in my returns-window if I need to return the card, so I'm hoping to figure it out by then!

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have. Much appreciated!
Try this EFI on a bootable USB. Do not add/delete or edit anything. If you can not boot, upload a pic of where it gets stuck or panics in verbose mode please.

Attachments

• EFI-iMac18,3-mcljot.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 91
Try this EFI on a bootable USB. Do not add/delete or edit anything. If you can not boot, upload a pic of where it gets stuck or panics in verbose mode please.

Hi Pavo, many thanks for your help. I got further with your EFI directory than before. I got to this point (screenshot) and then the system rebooted:

BIOS settings:
  • BIOS -> Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
  • BIOS -> CSM Support: Enabled
  • Peripherals -> Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
  • Chipset -> VT-d: Disabled
  • Chipset -> Internal Graphics: Enabled
  • Chipset -> Above 4G Decoding: Enabled

I rebooted from the USB again immediately, and it failed out and crashed with black screen suddenly after the line:

So I changed the DP port on the Vega and then I got to this line, followed by a reboot:

Edit: Another failure, at a different point:

Edit #2: I made it to the Mojave desktop using Vega HDMI and your EFI, but the Vega fans were not spinning (physically observed this) and iStatMenu reported 127° GPU Die, so I shut down straight away.

Last edited:
I rebooted from the USB again immediately, and it failed out and crashed with black screen suddenly after the line:

So I changed the DP port on the Vega and then I got to this line, followed by a reboot:

View attachment 388131

Edit: Another failure, at a different point:

View attachment 388146

Edit #2: I made it to the Mojave desktop using Vega HDMI and your EFI, but the Vega fans were not spinning (physically observed this) and iStatMenu reported 127° GPU Die, so I shut down straight away.
Make sure that you delete the previous EFI folder from the USB that you were using, do not just drag and drop the EFI folder I gave you and replace, that will leave all your old files in place. Delete the EFI that you have, empty trash and then drag the EFI I gave you into the USB. Also make sure to go into BIOS settings and Load Default and reboot before testing the EFI I gave you and only use the Vega 56 for your monitors, not the iGPU.

Make sure that you delete the previous EFI folder from the USB that you were using, do not just drag and drop the EFI folder I gave you and replace, that will leave all your old files in place. Delete the EFI that you have, empty trash and then drag the EFI I gave you into the USB. Also make sure to go into BIOS settings and Load Default and reboot before testing the EFI I gave you and only use the Vega 56 for your monitors, not the iGPU.

Yep - I deleted and emptied the trash, and then copied your EFI onto the drive. I will try with 'Load Defaults' now.

Yep - I deleted and emptied the trash, and then copied your EFI onto the drive. I will try with 'Load Defaults' now.
Well with the first screenshot you posted, its obvious that you didn't. Because in the EFI I gave you, there is no FakeSMC sensor kext, I replaced your FakeSMC and plugins with VirtualSMC and its plugins. Your screenshot shows the old FakeSMC plugins still being loaded.

--- deleted ---

Please continue the troubleshooting with Pavo; don't want to take you on a tangent.

--- deleted ---

Please continue the troubleshooting with Pavo; don't want to take you on a tangent.
It looks from your profile that you have the same system setup besides the Vega 56, which shouldn't be that different configuration from your RX 580. Would you mind posting your working EFI and BIOS settings?

Well with the first screenshot you posted, its obvious that you didn't. Because in the EFI I gave you, there is no FakeSMC sensor kext, I replaced your FakeSMC and plugins with VirtualSMC and its plugins. Your screenshot shows the old FakeSMC plugins still being loaded.

Apologies. I am certain it is correct now.

With default BIOS settings loaded, using your unaltered EFI, my screen goes black and hardware freezes (power switch becomes unresponsive) very suddenly after this line:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back