Contribute
Register

Sapphire 6870 recognised as 6xxx - No DVD Player or Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Ive have had the exact same problems, with a Sapphire 6670 HD and now a MSi R6850, that was until I installed the DSDT for my MOBO, since building my Hack 3+ months ago I had never installed DSDT from the TM Database for my MOBO I had always used the Easybeast install,

I could not believe my eyes after doing a clean install of 10.7.2 and then 10.7.3, then using multibeast with the DSDT from the Database, fully functioning, i.e. DVD player
and the all the correct info shown in My Mac i.e. Radeon 6850, including "Duckweed" as the Frame buffer

I don't do games so can't tell you about that sort of stuff, all I can say is Final Cut Pro X works like a dream

you would not need to do a clean install of OSX as I believe you can use MB and the User DSDT it will overwrite your current istallation

see screen shot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 11.00.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 11.00.13 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 978
HOW TO get full working DVD player and frame buffer!!!
Hi,

first of all i can't install DSDT because I've a Asus board and no DSDT.

No problem i have a workaround how to get DVD Player work and full working frame buffer! (After hours, really hours I've spend a day on time on it and a few black screens)

For all who want to have full functionally Radeon 6870.

First: My one is a Gigabyte HD 6870 OC Version.
Be attended: Please do a full Backup of your system before you do the steps and it's on your own risk.
Check:
what doesnt work:
second dvi port
dvi->vga adapter on upper dvi port, for vga displays you will need active mdp->vga

for more infos visit: http://netkas.org/?p=798

Workaround:

1. Download this files:
Ati6870.zip
2. unzip it
3. download "kext helper": http://cheetha.net/
4. run kext helper, drag and drop the kext files from the attached file into the kext helper, enter your Mac password in the password field and press "Easy install".
5. Repair Permission and Cache with multi beast or Kext Utility (I've used Kext Utility).
6. Done! No need of editing ATIPorts or AtiConfigs! Just restart and it should work.

GraphicsEnabler is =Yes by me i don't know if it is necessary.

I've read that a few people has the problem of black screen i've had the same problem but my problem was that i've connected my screen mistakely to the 2nd port DVI!

Make sure you've connected it to the second DVI port.

I hope it helps! For me it works like a charm! I'm really happy and it also works with "Device Strings"!!! No need to remove the device strings if you're Mac Appstore won't work (Like mine without device strings).

Screenshots:
Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-22 um 14.47.53.png

Attachments

• Ati6870.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 264
  • Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-22 um 14.47.53.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-22 um 14.47.53.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 968
  • Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-22 um 14.51.15.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-22 um 14.51.15.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 969
Thought I would share my success story after using this post as a guide:

I used Joe's boot.plist as a starting point and I was still getting my XFX 6870 (DD version) to post as ATI 6xxx in System Profile. After many restarts, here is the plist that did the trick:

Code:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The key entry for me was the PCIRootUID set to 1. This allowed my card to be recognized using the correct framebuffer AND access the App Store without the need for a device-properties entry. I haven't tried booting up without the AtiConfig or AtiPorts entries removed while PCIRootUID is set to 1.

NOTE: PCIRootUID is case-sensitive. To check if it is set properly on boot, open a Terminal and type 'bdmesg | more' and look for the string "PCI-Root-UID" as your scroll through.

I have ga-z77-ds3h and XFX HD 6870 that doesn't go past the apple logo.
I'll try that fix next!

fenrir2003 said:
Thought I would share my success story after using this post as a guide:

I used Joe's boot.plist as a starting point and I was still getting my XFX 6870 (DD version) to post as ATI 6xxx in System Profile. After many restarts, here is the plist that did the trick:

Code:
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The key entry for me was the PCIRootUID set to 1. This allowed my card to be recognized using the correct framebuffer AND access the App Store without the need for a device-properties entry. I haven't tried booting up without the AtiConfig or AtiPorts entries removed while PCIRootUID is set to 1.

NOTE: PCIRootUID is case-sensitive. To check if it is set properly on boot, open a Terminal and type 'bdmesg | more' and look for the string "PCI-Root-UID" as your scroll through.

Hi Guys,

Been having some trouble getting my Sapphire Radeon 6870 recognized. I tried the above entries but no luck.

The only way I can boot right now is to type "GraphicsEnabler=No" at the chimera boot screen. Otherwise my screen goes blank. Still shows up as ATI RADEON 6xxx under systme profile.

Suggestions? This is my first build. Thanks,

fenrir2003's method works but still no hdmi? :(

anyone got graphicsenablered over hdmi and fully recognised in system profiler??

finally got it working thanks to PGODW4!!!!!! :clap:

got it working hdmi and recognised as 6870 in system profiler too working 100% on dvd player and geek bench.

updated to 10.7.4 too, working 100%

tho after the update i had to use dvi>vga to boot into lion as hdmi falls asleep again on boot, and installed the ati6000 controller kext again and repaired the permissions using kext util. restarted and hdmi working again and does not fall asleep on boot.

my sapphire 6870 is working 100% now, never thought id see the day :headbang:

I've attached the files needed to get the sapphire 6870 working to this post.

thanks again to PGODW4 for your help too!!!!!!! :thumb up:

[img=http://s17.postimage.org/wtu8l7qu3/Graphics_Card_Working_10_7_4.jpg]

Attachments

• ATI6000Controller.kext.zip
    231.4 KB · Views: 122
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    833 bytes · Views: 221
I had the same issue on my OSX86 Lion env.
But after I fresh installed Mountain Lion,
the problem has gone.
System show HD6870 and DVD works fine.

Ai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back