Contribute
Register

Sapphire 6870 recognised as 6xxx - No DVD Player or Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a deal on a monitor so I was able to get one a little sooner than I expected. Using the dvi port and removing the mentioned kernel flags and device properties completely fixed my problem!

thanks joesayegh! my build is now working 100% :D :thumbup:

I'm going nuts here too!

I have a Gigabyte 6870 1GB (GV-R6870OC-1GD)
It's being recognized as 6xxx and I have the same problems as anyone else,... no DVD Player, no framebuffer, no second display, etc. After reading hundreds of posts and trying a lot of different things, I managed to get it recognized properly, but that causes other, even bigger issues.

Code:
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 arch=x86_64 boot-uuid=0C54EE2E-8E55-4793-B55B-C32F44B2CAB3</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>RestartFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>

Using this Boot.plist, it won't give me any output on the screen (it stays black) UNLESS I plug in a second monitor using a mini DP to VGA adapter. But then the screen goes weird and everything is unreadable, as seen in the picture.

screen.jpg

The second display (connected via mini DP) stays black the whole time, but is recognized by the system. The instant I unplug the display, both screens go black. That's the closest I've got getting the card being recognized properly, at least without replacing kexts.

Notes:
The boot-uuid flag is needed as I'm booting from a RAID setup.
I tried these kexts, but no luck either.
Even though the screen is unreadable, I know the framebuffer was loaded because I took screen shots.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Everyone keeps saying that only the upper DVI port works, but for me it seems to be the complete opposite. I never got it to work under any circumstances. Only the bottom one.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 251
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
What the heck is Boot Graphics?

It's GraphicsEnabler=Yes

But then the screen goes weird and everything is unreadable, as seen in the picture.
Sounds like a hardware problem. Exchange the card... or get an XFX model instead.

powerpcg5 said:
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
What the heck is Boot Graphics?

It's GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I know, GraphicsEnabler is in there too. And it's set to yes. As for Boot Graphics:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=351.0

"Boot Graphics"=Yes|No Use graphics mode or text mode when starting.

[quote:2eervi7k] But then the screen goes weird and everything is unreadable, as seen in the picture.
Sounds like a hardware problem. Exchange the card... or get an XFX model instead.[/quote:2eervi7k]

Thanks! I'll take it into consideration if nothing else works.

Oh I see... I didn't scroll down.

On my XFX 6870, all I have is just GraphicsEnabler=Yes. No atiports, bulrushes or any of that stuff. Use top DVI, and DP-to-DVI converters. That's it.

Thank you! I changed my boot.plist to this:

Code:
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>darkwake=0 arch=x86_64 boot-uuid=0C54EE2E-8E55-4793-B55B-C32F44B2CAB3</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>10</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

But it's still the same. As soon as I set GraphicsEnabler to Yes, the screen stays black and only works if I connect a second display (but then it's all blurry).

The upper DVI port never gets me any output. No BIOS boot screen, nothing. Only the bottom one.

I have a genuine Apple mini DP to VGA adapter, so I'm assuming it should work.

GraphicsEnabler doesn't even work with one display, even when using the same port that works just fine without it.

I think your card is defective.

I can get dual DVI to work on my Gigabyte 6850 only if I set Kernel Flags like so:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000, darkwake=0, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, AtiPorts=4</string>

I can also use AtiConfig=Duckweed, but again, only in the Kernel Flags string.

The problem is that I still get the DVD player issue. This is important for me to solve, as the problem also appears in Ableton.

If I were to use AtiConfig and AtiPorts in separate keys outside of Kernel Flags, it seems like those entries are not successfully read, and that the system ignores the keys and defaults to the settings from GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Ive exactly the same problem that my DVD Player is not working. I've tried all steps described in the thread but no fix.

I've read that i should delete the Device Properties. I've not yet tested it but i don't wanna remove this device properties because if i delete them my Mac Appstore, iCloud etc are not working...

What can i do`?

I've a Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6870.

Greets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back