Contribute
Register

sanity checking config.plist for accumulated detritus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently had an issue where a config.plist patch, apparently incorrect or no longer valid, had existed for Years on my config.plist as shown in this thread on the correct patch for SATA Hot-plug. Many others had the exact same problem, which had a number of side effects.

I'm curious if there is a procedure of steps to go thru for a config.plist to remove the older crap that accumulates over time, that maybe was never correct or has been made obselete or problematic by newer changes to WEG/Lilu/etc?

If there was a thread that listed all problematic and obsolete patches, with some info about why it is now obsolete or problematic (maybe specific 10.x.x version , maybe specific kext version, etc. - I expect this would be Very useful to the possibly majority of Tonymacx86 users who rarely if ever think about their config.plist patches or other settings ... until something breaks.

Or a script that would scan thru config.plist and output possible problematic entries for the user to research?

The writing is on the wall.
Clover's days are numbered, it is time to consider moving to OpenCore.

I agree. I'm slowly moving in that direction and have been using OcQuirks for a couple of months.

Is there any migration tool that would take an existing config.plist and migrate it to OpenCore, while striping out the detritus or at least warning of problems?

It probably is time to start testing? Maybe turn Wifi OFF on a Carbon Copy clone (so that if anything goes wrong, it won't compromise my Apple login in some fashion, like accidentally changing the motherboards serial number.

Of course, with the great developers on the CloverHackyColor GitHub continuing to feverishly make improvements in Clover (r5113 released yesterday) - it's hard to move away from something that works.

Is there any migration tool that would take an existing config.plist and migrate it to OpenCore, while striping out the detritus or at least warning of problems?
OpenCore is in beta but it is unlikely that there will be such a tool as the two config.plist files are totally different.
There is an OpenCore Configurator tool to edit config.plist files although some have warned against using it.
There is also an online sanity checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back