Contribute
Register

sandy bridge mac book pro anouncement soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is this???

No SSD for OS?
and no base model superdrives as modules?

I thought they'd at least refine the unibody design.

also... where's the liquid metal?

Apple, i am disappoint.

:beachball:

...at least there is support for sandy bridge now. which is good news for us (Y).

YES!!!! HD 3000 graphics support! I won't have to keep looking for compatible graphics cards anymore, especially since I'm not a gamer who needs high performance graphics. I am definitely going to snag an H67 MB as soon as they're available again.

sorry, i'm kinda newbie , but i bought a i5 2500 3.3ghz, and the 'best' MBP have i5 2.7ghz, how? can be 'mobile', but gonna have a support for i5 2500 3.3 ghz in 10.6.7?

and these i5 2500 have hd2000 or hd3000 graphics? because all MBP have hd3000 graphics.

Mobile chips are different and use much less power. therefore they can't go as fast.

so all we gotta do is wait for 10.6.7 for official support?

elpibe10 said:
Disappointing. What happened to the 16GB SSD for OS ?
Agreed. Also, the resolution of the 13" didn't increase.

Question... will it be possible to hook up two external monitors using Thunderbolt?

But on the bright side, my first desktop Hack won't need a dedicated graphics card. Now the question is... 2600 or 2600k (i.e. is HD 3000 worth it over HD 2000)? Actually, screw it, it's just a $35 price difference.

Now continue waiting for H67 and 10.6.7... sigh, sick of waiting.

lulraep said:
what is this???

No SSD for OS?
and no base model superdrives as modules?

I thought they'd at least refine the unibody design.

also... where's the liquid metal?

Apple, i am disappoint.

:beachball:

...at least there is support for sandy bridge now. which is good news for us (Y).

The MacBookPros are expected to get completely overhauled in next year's release i.e. new unibody design as well as other components left out in the 2011 release.

beelzebozo said:
The MacBookPros are expected to get completely overhauled in next year's release i.e. new unibody design as well as other components left out in the 2011 release.
Yeah turns out this was just another Speed boost re-fresh. Well, we got ThunderBolt which we can't use just yet since the actual Controller Chips still need to get implemented into stuff and shipped out for sale.

All those leaks about Hybrid Drives etc. are probably planned for the next re-fresh, along with (I hope finally) Liquidmetal casing. Or whatever it was, PCIe SSDs or whatever.

That replace the whole CD Drive with another HD thing will probably be on the next one too (hopefully).

On the bright side: We'll probably finally get the AMD 6xxx Controller with 10.6.x, and the MBPs finally dropped their outdated Intel Core 2 Duos.

I find that the specs on the 13" are not that compelling. Same resolution, no SSD, and the speed bump is probably in the 25% range due to the slight cut in clock speed. That is not be enough to make me buy one without the other enhancements. The bump is less on the larger machines that had a later generation processor.

Those SB kernel files will start floating around pretty soon. I suppose we will see 10.6.7 before working SB motherboards are available to us peons.

They've all got High-End Processors (fastest Sandy Bridge Mobile Duo and Quad-Cores without going into the Extreme Series) so they've all got Hyperthreading and Turbo Boost, mostly 2.0 which can bring most CPUs to around 3.0 GHz. Beats the Core 2 Duos by a long mile, even if the base GHz is lower.

They should have really bumped the 13" resolution too. The MBA can do 14xx native, why can't the MBP.

For the SB Kernels: Just need someone that's buying one of the new MBPs to upload them to someone, from there, hey, its the Internet. They'll spread like Wildfire :p

Just something minor that I've never quite understood: They have the same screen size models, only difference really is the CPU, sometimes the GPU. Why do they not just have 1 selection? I mean they've got 13" - 13" | 15" - 15" | 17" Why not just one "Select" button per-screen size and let people configure Processor etc from there? /Confused.

Like right now, the 2 13"s, the only difference is the Processor. They could have it all under one Menu and let people choose whichever Processor. Like this we need to fish out the changes from the Menu. Confusing. Anyway.

P.S. 13" does have SSD options, although from what I hear Apple SSDs performance is reduced over time (plus they cost so much), would personally recommend an OWC SSD. Better speeds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back