Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge Benchmark/Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo - with a 5000 series card you should be able to use the 10.6.6 Ati Kexts or the normal 10.6.7 (not early mbp 2011) kexts. All of the 5000 cards framebuffers exist in those drivers so you should be fine to use them. If you do use those kexts though you will need to set graphics enabler to yes and be using my version of chameleon (or any other version that has the ati code and sandybridge support).

I would be interested in your results if you do try the older kexts on a 5870 - be warned though that I have managed to totally bugger my system a few times by switching those kexts around and still can't explain how (I back them all up now religiously every time and even after restoring the working copies I still somehow managed to end up with no display a few times).

P.S. Those 5770 scores don't look right to me - they are too high and probably just as high or even higher than the same scores that card could churn out under cinebench in windows.

Maybe it has to do something with the fact that I'm using a vapor-x 5770 oc ?

Would it be complicated to switch to a 6870? Would I gain much? I see that Yoga gets more than 1K in Novabench with the 68xx....

cheers,

Xax said:

Would it be complicated to switch to a 6870? Would I gain much? I see that Yoga gets more than 1K in Novabench with the 68xx....

cheers,
No I don't think so, the OC doesn't gain that much. I've tried it with my 5870 in win7 when I boosted 60Mhz more and 85Mhz more on the memory for little gain. An overclock does not compensate for a design difference.

The 6870 is below the 5870, in practise you will gain but compared to your current benchmarks I don't think you will gain in the benchmarks...

Xax said:

cheers,

I use a 5870 dude :¬)

The 6870 is a tiny bit slower than the 5870, but a fair bit cheaper. Very good card, although you might find your benchmarks dropping :¬)

Sorry for that,

yeah it looks like as if my Cinebench was a little bit off,

on Novabench I regularely see about double the points of my card by owners of the 5870/50 and 6850/70 respectively, so I guess in real life performance I will gain.

Anyone got Starcraft 2 installed? :)

I get around 48 fps the first time I start a game vs 3 AIs on Shattered Temple everything set at Ultra and 1980x1200

AndyStubbs said:
Gordo - with a 5000 series card you should be able to use the 10.6.6 Ati Kexts or the normal 10.6.7 (not early mbp 2011) kexts. All of the 5000 cards framebuffers exist in those drivers so you should be fine to use them. If you do use those kexts though you will need to set graphics enabler to yes and be using my version of chameleon (or any other version that has the ati code and sandybridge support).

I would be interested in your results if you do try the older kexts on a 5870 - be warned though that I have managed to totally bugger my system a few times by switching those kexts around and still can't explain how (I back them all up now religiously every time and even after restoring the working copies I still somehow managed to end up with no display a few times).

P.S. Those 5770 scores don't look right to me - they are too high and probably just as high or even higher than the same scores that card could churn out under cinebench in windows.

I have tried all. With the regular kexts, I cannot get Steam games to load (NOT the OpenGL problem, the game boots but I get a white screen) and with cider games, the colors are EXTREMELY off. With the new ATI kexts, I have a problem with the bloom in Steam games (see the graphics subforum for my topic there), but amazing performance.

I'm quite willing to try others, I have been using your bootloader since you first made it and am looking forward to trying your suggestions.

trlla said:
Cinebench
Something not right there fella, there is no way a 5770 can score 60+ fps and even more amazing is an i7 at 4200 breaking the 10 pts barrier that is impossible for such a small over clock.

here mine...anyway i can step up my cpu multiplier for higher speed?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-26 at 11.02.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-26 at 11.02.52 PM.png
    58 KB · Views: 128
foosi said:
here mine...anyway i can step up my cpu multiplier for higher speed?

Yes, disable EIST and C-States, delete (backup first) AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext from /S/L/E. You can now overclock.

Multiplier must remain fixed with GB boards, keep it fixed and set your per core turbos to 40+ :¬)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back