Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge 10.6.8 Update Kernel Panics [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frash install:
1. Install Mac OS X 10.6.3
2. Boot with iBoot cd to it and clone(restore) this partition to other hard disk partition
3. Restart and using iBoot again boot to secont hardrive where you cloned (restored) mac
4. Install 10.6.8 Combo Update but target original hard drive partition (You can install MB to using step 4)
5. Reboot and again using iBoot CD now get in original drive where 10.6.8 is applied install MB even if you did it in step for from second partition.
6. After MB finish reboot and this time you wont need iBoot cd to boot up

In this way i didnt get KP nor even when update 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 and nor the frash install from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 only trick here is to have second hardrive with enough GB free where you will restore (clone/copy) mac os x from which you will applie patch to main hardrive and main paritition where is mac os x originaly installed.

Here is a bit detail instuctions: x)

viewtopic.php?p=157556#p157556

nickolasemp said:
Ok, in order for my fresh install to work I had to do the following (combined i5osx, LicoriceWarrior and tonymacx86's posts)

1) booted iBoot 3.1.1
2) installed OSX 10.6 retail (on HD)
3) reboot over iBoot to my new HD
4) Remove the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext as it will cause a kernel panic when trying to update to 10.6.8. This IOPlatform.kext file is located in /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins folder. (Right click on IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext > show contents, then continue following the folder tree)
5) In Terminal, type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
6) Run MultiBeast and select System Utilities to rebuild kext cache (yes again). If multibeast fails, install kext utility from multibeast and then run that from your applications.
7) Reboot and update 10.6.8 (still keeping the iboot disk in the drive)
8) Don't restart after 10.6.8 update. Run multibeast again and select easybeast + run and install chimera. Once chimera is done installing reboot your computer after you remove the iboot disk from the cd drive.
9) Once your back at the desktop. Run multibeast again (last time I promise) and select:
System Utilites, Drivers & bootloaders > kexts and enablers > network > Realtek Gigabit Ethernet (just tickbox the last one), then Customizations > system definitions >iMac > iMac 12,2

edit- sound solved, just select (with both System Utilites)
Selecting ALC8xxHDA (drivers and boatloaders-Kexts&Enablers-Audio-Realtek ACL8xx)
AppleHDA Rollback (drivers and boatloaders-Kexts&Enablers-Audio-Realtek ACL8xx)
ALC889 (drivers and boatloaders-Kexts&Enablers-Audio-Realtek ACL8xx- Non-DSDT HDAEnabler) outputs the desired sound

Thanks nickolasemp!!! I wanted to confirm that everything works perfectly for my setup. I got audio, networking, and full resolution on my desktop. I think I installed SL about a dozen times before I got it right. My setup is currently:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Seagate 1TB hdd
OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model

My first post on this forum is on my first hackintosh. :D Feels good.

Thanks a million nikolasemp!! I FINALLY have 10.6.8 fully working!! I've tried at least 10 times trying to get it to work properly and kept on gettin freaking KP's during the install, now its all working flawlessly thanks to you! :clap:

I have try this tutorial but when i complete the installation of 10.6.8 combo update and reboot, this is the result:

file.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Darknesss Fury said:
I have try this tutorial but when i complete the installation of 10.6.8 combo update and reboot, this is the result:

file.php

I had same issue. It's because you are using onboard HD2000 gpu, right? I had to cave in and buy a cheap geforce 210 vid card. I didn't try using the vga port without my discrete card installed but after installing my vid card I got blank screen. I then tried plugging it into vga port with discrete card and it worked. I don't know how to get it working with dvi port.

Try using the vga port and see if works with onboard graphics. IF not try all ports. IF not, might have to wait until tony gets a fix or Lion might support HD2000 by default.

initalBoss said:
Darknesss Fury said:

file.php

I had same issue. It's because you are using onboard HD2000 gpu, right? I had to cave in and buy a cheap geforce 210 vid card. I didn't try using the vga port without my discrete card installed but after installing my vid card I got blank screen. I then tried plugging it into vga port with discrete card and it worked. I don't know how to get it working with dvi port.

Try using the vga port and see if works with onboard graphics. IF not try all ports. IF not, might have to wait until tony gets a fix or Lion might support HD2000 by default.

Yes i have try to use the HD2000, thanks for the answer, i have try only the HDMI connection, now i can try the DVI and VGA of HD2000, if don't work i can try mi ol GPU nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2

EDIT:

i have try VGA of HD2000 and same result, with the 9800GX2 in HDMI have black screen but maybe i have to do a fresh install to work?

EDIT 2:

i have do a fresh install, during the installation of SL the screen become blank but succesfully complete the installation, at reboot blank screen, if i boot with command "GraphicEnabler=no" i correctly go to the desktop at 1080p in HDMI PERFECT! Now i try install 10.6.8 combo update... i use the GeForce 9800GX2.

EDIT 3:

Kernel Panik when i try to install 10.6.8 Combu Update, i only can try to use the 10.6.7 Combo Update.

Darknesss Fury said:
initalBoss said:
[quote="Darknesss Fury":17xoy3g2]I have try this tutorial but when i complete the installation of 10.6.8 combo update and reboot, this is the result:

file.php

Yes i have try to use the HD2000, thanks for the answer, i have try only the HDMI connection, now i can try the DVI and VGA of HD2000, if don't work i can try mi ol GPU nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2

EDIT:

i have try VGA of HD2000 and same result, with the 9800GX2 in HDMI have black screen but maybe i have to do a fresh install to work?

EDIT 2:

i have do a fresh install, during the installation of SL the screen become blank but succesfully complete the installation, at reboot blank screen, if i boot with command "GraphicEnabler=no" i correctly go to the desktop at 1080p in HDMI PERFECT! Now i try install 10.6.8 combo update... i use the GeForce 9800GX2.

EDIT 3:

Kernel Panik when i try to install 10.6.8 Combu Update, i only can try to use the 10.6.7 Combo Update.[/quote:17xoy3g2]

You have to remove kext file before you do the update to 10.6.8. It states where and which one on first page of this thread I believe.

surfstu said:
4. Install 10.6.8 combo update onto the OTHER partition (changed install location)

Surfstu, I wonder if you can give me some advice here...

I've been testing this update on my clone drive. When I try to install it, as expected, ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin gives me a KP. But when I delete that and reboot, the system goes crazy. Results vary, but most importantly it seems to ignore keyboard and mouse input, so I can't get the update started. If I'm understanding everything right, it would seem that deleting the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin and then running the update from my original (non-clone) system might work. If it did, I could then repeat from the clone to the original.

However, I can't seem to install the 10.6.8 update on any drive besides the current boot drive. When I try to change the install location to my clone drive, Installer tells me that "Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed on this disk. You can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OS X." When I run the installer from my clone drive, it tells me the same thing about my original drive.

Did you (or anyone else) encounter this issue? How were you able to change the install location for the 10.6.8 update? Could this be impossible simply because I use a separate drive rather than a separate partition?

Many thanks. In the meantime, my original 10.6.7 install is working very nicely.

EDIT: It's probably worth noting that whenever I try to boot straight from the drive my computer just reboots, so I've been using iBoot for every boot. Terrible, I know, but one problem at a time.

I have already try install 10.6.7/8 with remove the kext file but same result, if i use the Intel HD2000 i can install combo 10.6.7 but the risolution are blocked at 1024x768, if i use the 9800GX2 i can only run mac 10.6.0 but the risolution work perfect 1080p in hdmi. (when i install 10.6.7 at reboot black screen, if i install 10.6.8 KP during installation)

Darknesss Fury said:
I have already try install 10.6.7/8 with remove the kext file but same result, if i use the Intel HD2000 i can install combo 10.6.7 but the risolution are blocked at 1024x768, if i use the 9800GX2 i can only run mac 10.6.0 but the risolution work perfect 1080p in hdmi. (when i install 10.6.7 at reboot black screen, if i install 10.6.8 KP during installation)

With my nvidia card I had to use kext helper and install the kext update on the 10.6.8 update page in the forum. It's the IOPCIFamily Fix that you need to install to get past black screen with discrete vid card, I believe. That helped me in my situation. And I had to use my VGA port with my gpu instead of the DVI port. Not sure about HDMI port, didn't try it. Give it a try with the IOPCIFamily Fix kext and if not, then try plugging in your monitor with the VGA port or HDMI one. Good luck!!! :thumbup:

Oh and you have to delete the kext file for the update to 10.6.8 to go through. Did you do that before updating to 10.6.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back