Contribute
Register

Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z7C-***** Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot, yes I'm using those flags. I have attached my boot.plist just incase you spot something wrong in there. The long load times in Chimera are just so that I have time to put the boot flags in if necessary.
I'd really love it if you could have a look, I've attached the IOReg as well.

I owe you a beer or 5... You must let me know if you're ever in the south of England.

Fraser

You're using ig-platform 01660004 and dual-link (from DSDT). Does your laptop have a high resolution display?

Also PCIRootUID in kernel flags may be an issue. I believe PCIRootUID is a bootloader flag, not a kernel flag.

And device-properties may interfere with whatever you attempt in DSDT (it is setting 01660004, but not dual-link). You should remove it.

The dart=0 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist is doing nothing. dart=0 is a kernel flag, not boot loader flag.

You're using ig-platform 01660004 and dual-link (from DSDT). Does your laptop have a high resolution display?

Also PCIRootUID in kernel flags may be an issue. I believe PCIRootUID is a bootloader flag, not a kernel flag.

And device-properties may interfere with whatever you attempt in DSDT (it is setting 01660004, but not dual-link). You should remove it.

The dart=0 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist is doing nothing. dart=0 is a kernel flag, not boot loader flag.

The resolution is 1600x900, which I believe classes as a high resolution?

I have attached the plist now that I have edited, please could you confirm that this is what you meant? (I have called it boot for now, just while you might check over)

I've also just noticed that I'm using the Graphics Mode as 1080p? This doesn't seem to be doing anything at all, but am I right in thinking it's unnecessary?

This boot.plist started life being for the 17inch model of the laptop as posted in the OP, which is why various things are not correct.

Also, on a side note... When returning in a string, is it correct to use Yes and No or Y and N? I noticed that you stated N earlier, but have never understood. Does it make any difference?

Fraser

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot2.plist
    656 bytes · Views: 318
The resolution is 1600x900, which I believe classes as a high resolution?

I have attached the plist now that I have edited, please could you confirm that this is what you meant? (I have called it boot for now, just while you might check over)

I've also just noticed that I'm using the Graphics Mode as 1080p? This doesn't seem to be doing anything at all, but am I right in thinking it's unnecessary?

This boot.plist started life being for the 17inch model of the laptop as posted in the OP, which is why various things are not correct.

Also, on a side note... When returning in a string, is it correct to use Yes and No or Y and N? I noticed that you stated N earlier, but have never understood. Does it make any difference?

Fraser

I would try with "Graphics Mode"=1600x900x32, and try to figure out if you need the PCIRootUID or not. Otherwise, that part looks good.

The code in the boot loader only looks at the first character, so, if you want to, you can write 'NoWayMan' for No, or 'YayBananas' for Yes.

I would try with "Graphics Mode"=1600x900x32, and try to figure out if you need the PCIRootUID or not. Otherwise, that part looks good.

The code in the boot loader only looks at the first character, so, if you want to, you can write 'NoWayMan' for No, or 'YayBananas' for Yes.

Haha that's interesting! Thanks!
I've updated that accordingly, but how do I figure out whether I need PCIRootUID? I don't want to end up with a non-booting system accidentally! Alternatively, if you reckon it should affect the boot ability, then I can just try anyway?

Fraser

but how do I figure out whether I need PCIRootUID? I don't want to end up with a non-booting system accidentally! Alternatively, if you reckon it should affect the boot ability, then I can just try anyway?

You can always type a bootflag at the bootloader screen to override/add a value in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

You can always type a bootflag at the bootloader screen to override/add a value in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Using the boot.plist as it was, with PCIRootUID=1, it booted no problem, but it didn't fix it. However, there is a subtle changed. I'm pretty sure there are now less green pixels than there were, and what used to be a static line (perhaps 3mm wide) which had a far greater density of green pixels, is now flickering side to side. Please see the earlier picture of the graphics issue that I posted if this doesn't make sense.

Something's happened, not sure if it's a step in the right direction! Will now boot with PCIRootUID=0 to test again.

Fraser

Using the boot.plist as it was, with IGPEnabler=1, it booted no problem, but it didn't fix it. However, there is a subtle changed. I'm pretty sure there are now less green pixels than there were, and what used to be a static line (perhaps 3mm wide) which had a far greater density of green pixels, is now flickering side to side. Please see the earlier picture of the graphics issue that I posted if this doesn't make sense.

Something's happened, not sure if it's a step in the right direction! Will now boot with IGPEnabler=0 to test again.

Fraser

Is the DSDT you're using patched from your own native DSDT, or is it from a different computer?

Is the DSDT you're using patched from your own native DSDT, or is it from a different computer?

The DSDT is patched from the native one, with the patches you suggested yesterday, and no others (other than error fixing).
Booting with PCIRootUID=0 has stopped that line flickering. It's doing something, I don't know what.

Fraser

The DSDT is patched from the native one, with the patches you suggested yesterday, and no others (other than error fixing).
Booting with PCIRootUID=0 has stopped that line flickering. It's doing something, I don't know what.

Fraser

Here's what I would do:
- check ioreg to see that HD4000 graphics drivers are loading
- check ioreg to see that EDID for the display is correct (compare against the EDID in Windows)
- do an EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power 30 sec, put everything back & restart & test. improvement?
- check (in Linux) to see if your display is eDP. I think there are instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/

Here's what I would do:
- check ioreg to see that HD4000 graphics drivers are loading
- check ioreg to see that EDID for the display is correct (compare against the EDID in Windows)
- do an EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power 30 sec, put everything back & restart & test. improvement?
- check (in Linux) to see if your display is eDP. I think there are instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/

I wanted to get this all right and go straight to the top of the class, but sadly I failed...
I'm not sure what I'm looking for in ioreg, it seems to talk a lot about HD4000, and nothing seems to be out of place.
I'm not sure how to even access the EDID, let alone compare it... I also don't have a Windows that I can check... I have however just made an Ubuntu live USB which seems to work...
I'm not sure how to go about an EC reset, as my battery is concealed within the laptop.
Reading that guide, I type into an Ubuntu terminal "sudo intel_reg_dumper", however it only returns "Couldn't map MMIO region: Resource temporarily unavailable"... I have tried rebooting linux...

I have attached the ioreg, if you might please have a look?

Sorry!

Fraser

Attachments

• Fraser’s MacBook Pro No Safemode.ioreg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back