AMD Radeon HD 7670 1GB DDR3
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys,
Greetings from Australia, this is my first post on this website, hope everyone is in good health. I have recently decided to buy a notebook for Uni (my ipad 2 doesnt cut it), I replaced my old notebook which was a Dell Studio core 2 duo with a Mac Mini mid 2011 base model (running osx 10.8.2 now) about a year ago, and unlike many hardcore windows users have falling in love with osx. I like how upgradable the mini is, i upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 8GB then to 16GB last week but feels like a waste even with XBMC, and Parallels running 24/7. I also upgraded the hdd with a 64GB Vertex 4 ssd and noticed a huge difference, way more than the RAM upgrades. Thanks to Apple's narrow marketing policies I cant upgrade a MBP or MBA somewhere down the line if I want to. Its great I stumbled upon the whole Hackintosh concept and didnt rush into buying a MBP 13 (Im never going back to windows). After doing a bit of research and considering my requirements, Im going to move the Mini permanently to our tv lounge, and will use new notebook for typing out assignments at home t*****ting and occasionally mirroring the screen through my aTV3. I'm seriously considering a Samsung Series 3 i7 notebook, Its 15.6 inches and has all the new specs like usb 3, HDMI etc for close to $750 delivered.

Out of the box the specs are:

Base NP350V5C-S02AU
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
System Colour Titan Silver
Processor Intel® Core i7™ 3610QM Processor
(2.30 GHz, 6 MB)
Main Chipset Intel® HM76
System Memory 4GB (1600MHz DDR3 / 4GB x 1)
Memory Slot 2 x SODIMM (Upgradeable to 8GB)
LCD 15.6" Thin Bezel LED LCD HD (1366 x 768) 16:9, Anti-Reflective Display
Graphics AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M
Graphic Memory 1GB DDR3 (Ext. Graphic)
Multimedia
Sound HD (High Definition) Audio
Sound Effect SoundAlive™
Speaker 3 W Stereo Speaker (1.5 W x 2)
Integrated Camera Webcam
Storage
HDD 750GB (5400 rpm SATA II)
ODD DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
Communication
Modem No
Wired Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless LAN 802.11 bg/n 1X1
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
Others
I/O Ports 2x USB 3.0 + 2 x USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, DVI, Headphone-Out, Mic-In, Internal Mic, 3-in-1 Memory Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC), RJ45 (LAN), DC-In Power Port
Security Norton Internet Security (60-day Trial)*, Boot Up Password, HDD Password, Kensington Lock Port, Samsung Recovery Solution
AC Adapter 60 Watts
Battery 6 Cell - 5.3hours (BatteryMark),
4 hours (DVD Play)
Dimensions (W x D x H) 372.5 x 243 x 33mm
Weight 2.5 Kg
Warranty 1 Year International Warranty

Before I attempt installing Osx 10.8, I will upgrade the built in HDD with a 128GB Vertex 4 SSD I have lying around and upgrade the ram to 8GB or 16GB whichever maxes it out. This is my first experience with installing a Hackintosh system and would like to clarify a few things:

1.) Is my system even compatible with osx mountain lion? What kind of battery life can I expect on this system running mountain lion?

2.) I have read about issues people have in getting wifi, usb 3 etc working after installing osx, how do i make sure i wont experience those issues?

3.) This one is a bit of a silly question, I was wondering if I will be able to update osx using the regular method when updates come out or is it a big no no with Hackintosh's kinda like Jailbreaks?

Thanks for reading my long post, would appreciate if someone could guide me on how the actual installation is done and if it is standard across all devices or each installation is specific to the system, board etc that is being hacked (Manufacturer, Make)

Cheers
Henry Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dude,

I know this post is a little old, but I have nothing really to do right now so I'll answer it anyway :p.

Since you say you're new to the community, I'm gonna have to treat you like a noob and tell you that kexts are like drivers for Mac, and can be installed by Kext Beast or Kext Utility, found in the downloads section of TonyMac. Sorry if you already knew what kexts were dude ;).

1). Your system seems rather compatible. The usual things that lack support where Hackintoshing are:

-Graphics (Here is the kext for your GPU: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3436&page=2
-WiFi (since you haven't stated what WiFi adapter you have, I can't tell you whether it's compatible or not).
-Motherboard. Laptops can be a pain to Hackintosh for this reason alone: it can be impossible to tell what MOBO you have. There are many unsupported MOBO's out there, your could be one. Who knows? Just try with Unibeast and see).
-USB 3 can be iffy, but will probably be solvable with a few kexts here and there.
-You may need to find the latest VoodooHDA Kext to get sound working.
-Sleep mode is very unlikely to work.
Battery life in Mac is hard to predict. My Samsung 350V5C has similar battery life in Mac and Windows 7.

2). KEXTS. All I can say is kexts ;).

3). It's a little risky to update via Apple's software update. However, it's kinda 50/50 whether it's gonna break something or not. Make a time machine backup first and if the update breaks anything, boot your Unibeast Pendrive and restore the TM Backup ;).

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back