Register

RX580 does not recognize display via HDMI to RJ45

Motherboard
ASRock H97 Pro4
CPU
I5-4460
Graphics
RX 580
Hi there, got an old tower and want to convert it to a show-room PC. It comes with a RX580 with 1 DVI port and 1 HDMI port. Trying to connect the HDMI port with a HDMI-to-RJ45 converter to get long distance extension (20m) then connect to a TV with RJ45-to-HDMI. The DVI port and HDMI port have been tested with the main display and both are working properly. The HDMI to RJ45 conneciton has been tested with a laptop and it can output with 1080p video with audio.

The RX580 does not recognize the TV via the HDMI-to-RJ45 cable. The TV can work with a HDMI cable but at this distance the HDMI cable on hand would not have the same output resolution comparing with the RJ45 cable. Any suggestion for modifications?

Buy a longer higher resolution HDMI cable, would be my initial suggestion.

macOS is notoriously problematic when using display adapters that don’t use an ‘Active’ chip to convert the display signal.
  1. Are your HDMI to Ethernet adapters powered externally or do they use PoE for power?
  2. Is the PoE switch (if used) providing sufficient power?
  3. Do you have the transmitter and receiver in the correct orientation, i.e. transmitter connected to the Hack and receiver connected to the display?
  4. Did you run your laptop test using the same Ethernet cable as you are using with your Hack? If not try using the same (longer?) Ethernet cable to see if the problem lies with the Ethernet cable.

Hi, thanks for the reply, just tested, my macbook also has no issue with this setup. My laptop runs windows also can work with this, so it may not be an OS issue. Maybe it is more graphic card (rx580) related.

1. the HDMI cable is not powered externally.
2. PoE switch is not used in this setup.
3. they are in the right order. The HDMI-RJ45-HDMI has been verified working on macbook and another laptop.
4. there are tests run with different ethernet cables, for the final setup (20m ethernet cable), this setup only works for the laptop but not the tower.

Currently the whole setup runs with the laptop, but we don't want to run two computers at control room (the tower will always be on due to other office work). A higher resolution HDMI cable seems like the solution, but just want to check if any 'hacks' can be applied to make it work since it works with the laptop.
Buy a longer higher resolution HDMI cable, would be my initial suggestion.

macOS is notoriously problematic when using display adapters that don’t use an ‘Active’ chip to convert the display signal.
  1. Are your HDMI to Ethernet adapters powered externally or do they use PoE for power?
  2. Is the PoE switch (if used) providing sufficient power?
  3. Do you have the transmitter and receiver in the correct orientation, i.e. transmitter connected to the Hack and receiver connected to the display?
  4. Did you run your laptop test using the same Ethernet cable as you are using with your Hack? If not try using the same (longer?) Ethernet cable to see if the problem lies with the Ethernet cable.

Last edited:
There are no Hack's that I am aware of for this type of display setup.

From your response above, I would look at the functionality of the 20m Ethernet cable when running macOS. Using a different Ethernet cable negates the comparison you have made with the Tower, MacBook and Laptop as the setup is not identical in each test.

Try the MacBook with the 20m cable setup, see if that works. This would be a better comparison with your Tower setup that doesn't work.

If the MacBook doesn't work with the long Ethernet cable, I would look at replacing the long ethernet cable. Preferably with a 20m HDMI to HDMI cable.

A 20m HDMI cable would cost between £17 & £33 on Amazon UK. Price difference is for a less expensive HDMI 1.4 1080P cable or higher cost HDMI 2.0 4K cable.

There are no Hack's that I am aware of for this type of display setup.

From your response above, I would look at the functionality of the 20m Ethernet cable when running macOS. Using a different Ethernet cable negates the comparison you have made with the Tower, MacBook and Laptop as the setup is not identical in each test.

Try the MacBook with the 20m cable setup, see if that works. This would be a better comparison with your Tower setup that doesn't work.

If the MacBook doesn't work with the long Ethernet cable, I would look at replacing the long ethernet cable. Preferably with a 20m HDMI to HDMI cable.

A 20m HDMI cable would cost between £17 & £33 on Amazon UK. Price difference is for a less expensive HDMI 1.4 1080P cable or higher cost HDMI 2.0 4K cable.
hi, the macBook and the laptop both work well with the 20m ethernet cable. The only thing doesn't work, but also is the only thing matters is the tower with RX580 which does not work with any ethernet cable.

Have a 20m HDMI cable on hand but it gives flickers on the video output. A new cable has been ordered, just want to try different things to make the ethernet cable work as the video output from the ethernet cable is really good.

Which RX 580 card do you have?

My PowerColor and Sapphire RX 580 cards have 3 x DisplayPort,1 x DVI and 1 x HDMI connector.

Are you saying yours only has the DVI and HDMI connectors, no DisplayPort connectors at all?

It is XFX RX580 OC 8GB version, it has 3 DP, 1 HDMI and 1 DIV-D output. The DP ports have been tested with DP-HDMI and DP-Thundering-HDMI converter, all converters are functional as they can light up the main display, but they do not work with the HDMI-RJ45-HDMI hack.
Which RX 580 card do you have?

My PowerColor and Sapphire RX 580 cards have 3 x DisplayPort,1 x DVI and 1 x HDMI connector.

Are you saying yours only has the DVI and HDMI connectors, no DisplayPort connectors at all?

Back