Contribute
Register

Retina Macbook 10.7.4 Installation - Ivy Bridge Kernel Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
dta said:
MetaData said:
Hi guys,

Just posting here since I'll be doing a re-installation of my Lion install in about 1-2 hours. What I basically read here is that I should simply install and upgrade using the combo update to 10.7.4.

After I update to 10.7.4, I would simply install the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (from the topic start) and reboot. I would then reboot onto UniBeast and use the terminal to copy over the new mach_kernel (from the topic start) and it should work?

This would eliminate the need to NullCPUPowerManagement & BridgeHelper as well correct?

Yes, but if you have the ability to get Lion from the App Store it would be even easier because you get the newest 10.7.4 with all current updates. No need for combo update.

This is what I did:
1. Prepare my thumb drive with UniBeast and Lion from the App Store
2. Rename the kernel on thumb drive to "mach_kernel.original" and copy over the new kernel (from topic start)
3. Boot onto UniBeast to install Lion
4. Reboot again onto UniBeast and use the terminal to copy over new mach_kernel to new Lion installation
5. Reboot again with UniBeast, but this time into new Lion installation
6. MultiBeast with the following checked:
- System Utilities
- FakeSMC
- Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81XX
- Chimera v1.9.2 r1394
7. Chameleon Wizard to setup org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist
8. KextBeast to install the 3 Kexts (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, AppleAHCIPort, IOAHCIFamily) from this topic
9. Reboot into Lion installation without UniBeast

This is the bare minimum (+Realtek) on my machine to make it work. If everything boots up fine I start installing optional stuff like audio kexts, DSDT etc.

Excuse my noobness but on step #4 what is the command to copy the mach_kernel from a usb drive?

I tried cp ~/name of usb drive/mach_kernel_9.2 (name of my mach kernel) but no such file or directory so I'm messing up something on this step

Also what settings did you set up your org.chameleon boot and smbios.plist?

tonymacx86 said:
nandor690 said:
I tried installing bridge helper and it's the same thing.

Boot0 GPT
Boot0 test
Boot0 test
Boot0 GPT
Boot0 error

This is not a BridgeHelper Issue- it's your hard drive.

Boot0 Error: The Official Guide
viewtopic.php?f=168&t=61081

Ahh thank you Tony. I am using a 2 TB hard drive. Maybe I'll just use a different hard drive. I tried unibeast on a 8 gig USB drive but it wanted some crazy amount of time to install. Like more than 4 hours.
Thanks again for your help and quick reply.

nandor690 said:
tonymacx86 said:
nandor690 said:
I tried installing bridge helper and it's the same thing.

Boot0 GPT
Boot0 test
Boot0 test
Boot0 GPT
Boot0 error

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=61081

Ahh thank you Tony. I am using a 2 TB hard drive. Maybe I'll just use a different hard drive. I tried unibeast on a 8 gig USB drive but it wanted some crazy amount of time to install. Like more than 4 hours.
Thanks again for your help and quick reply.

It says that but in reality only takes like 20 minutes tops.

viewtopic.php?f=168&t=61081[/quote]

Thanks again for your help and quick reply.[/quote]

It says that but in reality only takes like 20 minutes tops.[/quote]

Yea I just read that. I thought maybe it was the USB or something but just went to the unibeast website and read threw the whole thing slowly as it says to. :banghead:

muffins2u said:
Excuse my noobness but on step #4 what is the command to copy the mach_kernel from a usb drive?

I tried cp ~/name of usb drive/mach_kernel_9.2 (name of my mach kernel) but no such file or directory so I'm messing up something on this step

Also what settings did you set up your org.chameleon boot and smbios.plist?

Did you read the hole thread? Because radallphoto wrote an instruction on page 2, which works fine.
btw. thanks for this randallphoto.

randallphoto said:
Just installed these 3 kexts, removed nullcpupowermanagement, installed the new mach_kernel. Everything is working PERFECT now!! Sleep works wonderfully, I can log in to iCloud, the SATA controllers are identified properly etc etc. Haven't tried HD4000 or USB 3.0 stuff yet though.

I have the following specs
i7 3770k
ga-z77x-ud5h

I was having problems with the other kernel replacement method, and this one works without having to boot to Unibeast or another computer. Just follow these steps, reboot, and you're done!

extract the mach_kernel file to the desktop

open terminal
type: sudo -s

enter your password when prompted and press enter

Remove the old mach_kernel

rm /mach_kernel

then copy the new mach_kernel to the root

cp ~/desktop/mach_kernel /

fix permissions

chown 0:0 /mach_kernel
chmod 755 /mach_kernel

Reboot and you should now have Darwin kernel 11.4.2

Can someone post a modified/Patched Ivy Bridge AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for use with my Asus P8Z77-M Pro?

If I install the stock AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on restart I get a nice ol' Kernel Panic.

Thanks!

mrengles said:
Can someone post a modified/Patched Ivy Bridge AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for use with my Asus P8Z77-M Pro?

If I install the stock AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on restart I get a nice ol' Kernel Panic.

Thanks!

I don't know about Asus for sure but I think you need either a new version of the speedstepper patch (is there a version for Ivy Bridge yet?) or a patched BIOS. As far as I know it is not possible to patch Asus BIOS on 7-series boards yet because of some security implementation Asus did. Or is this wrong and there is a solution now?

dta said:
mrengles said:

Thanks!

I don't know about Asus for sure but I think you need either a new version of the speedstepper patch (is there a version for Ivy Bridge yet?) or a patched BIOS. As far as I know it is not possible to patch Asus BIOS on 7-series boards yet because of some security implementation Asus did. Or is this wrong and there is a solution now?

You are correct still no solution for 7-series Asus bios patch/mod.

Gave up on my Asus p77 for now, like everyone has been saying there are currently no patches for that board.

Got a MSI G80 with thunderbolt, have not had any luck thus far but will keep trying and will report back.

Is there a way to extract the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" from the MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back