Contribute
Register

Report your NVIDIA Web Driver and CUDA issues and I'll pass them on to the developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacPro5,1
CPU
Intel "Westmere"
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all!

I managed to get connected with the guys over at NVIDIA responsible for the ”Web Drivers” (and CUDA) that is required to get their Maxwell and Pascal GPUs to work in macOS. Since these drivers differ from the ones built-in to macOS I thought it would be great if we could report issues directly to NVIDIA. But of course it would have to be in a structured and reproducible manner.

So, please try to make clear reports so I can reproduce them (if I can get hold of the software you use that is…).

I currently don't have access to a Pascal GPU, but I have a Maxwell (GTX 970) in a ”real” Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and also a MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2013) that has a GeForce GT 750M so I can rule out any Hackintosh related issues when trying to reproduce your reports. The great thing with the MacBook Pro is that it can use both the macOS built-in graphics drivers and the Web Drivers – good for testing if the issue occurs in both drivers or not.

So, bring it on! :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't you need a Pascal-series card for these tests?

Wouldn't you need a Pascal-series card for these tests?

Not necessarily. It would of course be best if I had that too (maybe I'll get one eventually), but my bet is that any issues found when using a Pascal GPU would also apply to other NVIDIA GPUs when using the Web Drivers. There could of course be exceptions to that, but in general I think not.

But if there is a Pascal specific feature (anyone knows of an example?) I will sure have difficulties testing that without a Pascal GPU. :)

Last edited:
Download the demo of this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/418240/Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun/

Start the very first mission. There's a rendering issue that causes the map to just render as brown. You can sort of make out the level peeking through the top every so often.

I've verified it renders properly on a MacBook pro using the stock drivers (model with the 750M). If i install the Webdrivers on that same MBP, the game has the same issue.

The game Deathstate also has rendering errors, but there's no demo and the errors are a bit subtle and hard to describe. It's also map dependent so hard to give a clear way to reproduce.

Last edited:
I really do hope that you may help fix these issues everyone is experiencing by talking directly to the developers - although i have to admit that I am a little reluctant it may help. Hoping for the best :)

My Card: Aorus/Gigabyte 1080TI (Pascal) - Connected to 3x 4K Monitors (LG 27UD88) via Displayport

So, here we go:
1) Menu Bar glitches, as already stated by unrealwzg - Affects Maxwell as well as Pascal to my knowledge
2) Glitches after waking from sleep. Only affecting Pascal 1060s to my knowledge (not with my card).
3) Wake From Sleep: When waking from sleep, WebDriver sometimes fails to (re)load again and display stays black. I can remotely log in to the machine. The System then shows me only a virtual display, webdriver seems not to be loaded (GPU not recognized in the nvidia preference pane. Strangely, there is no error message that no gpu has been found as it would normally appear. Same with the CUDA preference pane).
Very strange, because that happens without a reboot on a running machine!
Generally, the WebDriver sometimes just fails to send the wake-up signal to the monitors. Attached some screenshots when the webdriver mysteriously vanished (and also some when working as intended).

cheers

Attachments

• Nachher_Monitor_1.png
    Nachher_Monitor_1.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Nachher_Monitor_2.png
    Nachher_Monitor_2.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Nachher_Monitor_4.png
    Nachher_Monitor_4.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Nachher_Monitor_5.png
    Nachher_Monitor_5.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Vorher_1.png
    Vorher_1.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Vorher_2.png
    Vorher_2.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Vorher_3.png
    Vorher_3.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
1) 3rd-Party cards run the same clock speeds as reference cards or they simply don't have GPU Boost like on Windows. I don't really need an afterburner like software but please at least make the card follows it's vBios or behaves the same as on other systems.

2) Geekbench CUDA and Metal compute tests all crash as soon as they start, a dev from Geekbench claimed it's WebDriver's fault.

3) Support for HDMI 2.0, but that's most likely Apple side's problem?

Thanks for your reports so far! I'll try to go through them when I have time…

Was a bit surprised to see this:

3) Wake From Sleep: When waking from sleep, WebDriver sometimes fails to (re)load again and display stays black. I can remotely log in to the machine. The System then shows me only a virtual display, webdriver seems not to be loaded (GPU not recognized in the nvidia preference pane. Strangely, there is no error message that no gpu has been found as it would normally appear. Same with the CUDA preference pane).

That's really interesting because I was having that exact problem every now and then for years, but since the driver 378.xx.xx.xxxxx was released (i.e. the driver that also supports Pascal GPUs) the issue is gone. Hasn't happened even once for me since.

That's really interesting because I was having that exact problem every now and then for years, but since the driver 378.xx.xx.xxxxx was released (i.e. the driver that also supports Pascal GPUs) the issue is gone. Hasn't happened even once for me since.

Indeed interesting - seems to happen now with my system (did not happen when i still had the gtx 970 a few weeks ago). Oh well, at least someone else also had the same symptoms :)

The problem can be reproduced like this by the way:
Log into the system via remote vnc (i use the program remotix on a windows machine to log into my mac) and just keep the connection alive until displays go to sleep. The remotix program on the windows machine shows a grayed out desktop with a sleep symbol in the middle.
Then move your mouse in the remotix program to get out of suspend mode. Screen in the program comes back, but freezes instantly. No mouse click or keyboard input recognized via remote, connection is lost. What is funny is - i cant login via remote again immediately once this happened, BUT: If I wait the exact amount of time i set for my display to go to sleep (set in the energy Settings) and then try to reconnect, it works - but webdriver is gone and i am left with only a virtual display. Machine did NOT reboot during this time. Only a reboot gets rhe webdriver back.

Very strange indeed, but maybe my setup is just too odd :)

Can’t get my Dell P2415q to display HDPI at 60 hz using DP1.2 Cable. Monitor and EVGA Nvidia 950 GTX can support the resolutions.

I’ve used the patch suggested on the forum here without success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back