Contribute
Register

Report your NVIDIA Web Driver and CUDA issues and I'll pass them on to the developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug report:

When I go to www.sketchfab.com and try to view the 3D models, I get distorted image when using my GTX 1080. The same image appears fine when using Intel graphics. Below is what I see with GTX 1080 and Intel graphics, respectively. Here's a link to the image below, but the same is true of all the 3D models I've tried to view: SpaceShip RaceShip!!! by James Robbins - 3D model - Sketchfab

View attachment 304749 View attachment 304750

Thanks in advance for forwarding this to Nvidia.

This bug remains unfixed.

bring it on!
Nvidia 6x0 through 9x0/Web driver/most releases: HDMI audio on all DP/HDMI/DVI ports (4 ports max)
Nvidia 10x0/WEB driver/all releases: No HDMI audio on HDMI port, HDMI audio on some DP ports

On boot, macOS sees the Nvidia 10x0 HDMI audio codec. macOS:
  1. usually sees a HDMI audio device connected to a DP port
    1. not 100%, not all DP ports, hot plug works for specific 10x0 graphics cards
  2. rarely sees a HDMI audio device connected to a HDMI port
  3. rarely sees a HDMI audio device connected to a DVI port
Test results/Asus Maximus VII Impact/10.13.2/378.10.10.10.25.102/100% reproducible
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 8.57.05 AM.png
EVGA/GTX 1050 Ti SC/04G-P4-6253-KR
  1. DVI/A@0 - No HDMI audio
  2. HDMI/B@1 - No HDMI audio
  3. DP/C@2 - HDMI audio

EVGA/GT 640/02G-P4-2645-KR
  1. DVI/A@0 - HDMI audio (Official)
  2. DVI/B@1 - HDMI audio (Official)
  3. HDMI/C@2 - HDMI audio
IORegs for each case attached.
More examples: AppleHDA HDMI Audio

Attachments

• impact-nvidia.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
There is pretty widespread reports of major lag with the latest version of the Nvidia web drivers. Is Nvidia even aware of the situation?

There is pretty widespread reports of major lag with the latest version of the Nvidia web drivers. Is Nvidia even aware of the situation?

I haven't really noticed anything with my GTX 970.

Unfortunately I'm quite busy right now, but will try to gather bugs and send them to Nvidia when I find some time.

Unfortunately I'm quite busy right now, but will try to gather bugs and send them to Nvidia when I find some time.

As far as I can tell, the issue primarily affects Skylake and newer systems. However, not all Skylake and newer systems are affected. The following thread contains many reports of massive lag.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-3-387-10-10-10-25.243857/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-3-update.243852/

Many things have been tried to fix it but no one has come close to a fix. The only current work around is to revert back to the previous version of the web drivers.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd like to link my findings here, which I've posted as a ticket on NvidiaGraphicsFixup hoping to enlist lvs1974's help:

https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/tickets/10/

I've also found reports of the lag occurring on real macs with Nvidia cards over eGPU:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/25/

My best current theory is that the lag is most severe on Non-Nvidia SMBIOSes.

Per Nvidia's site, the Nvidia SMBIOSes are: MacPro5,1, MacPro4,1, MacPro3,1, iMac14,2, iMac14,3, iMac13,1, iMac13,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro10,1, and MacBookPro9,1. If you are using any of these, your lag is non-existent or minimal. It doesn't seem to matter what type or family of Nvidia card you use nor does your SIP status seem to matter ultimately. No tools, kexts, or other fixups seem currently able to resolve the lag.

It is possible that Skylake+ systems have worse lag. The lag is proportional to resolution, and the high CPU usage by WindowServer suggests some sort of falling back on software rendering, but it is not a library validation issue. Transparency all exists where it should. The issue is lag, occasional artifacts, and display detection failures, especially after sleep and/or display idle off.

I hope this info is helpful and that Nvidia will release an update and/or someone is able to find the source of the issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd like to link my findings here, which I've posted as a ticket on NvidiaGraphicsFixup hoping to enlist lvs1974's help:

https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/tickets/10/

I've also found reports of the lag occurring on real macs with Nvidia cards over eGPU:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/25/

My best current theory is that the lag is most severe on Non-Nvidia SMBIOSes.

Per Nvidia's site, the Nvidia SMBIOSes are: MacPro5,1, MacPro4,1, MacPro3,1, iMac14,2, iMac14,3, iMac13,1, iMac13,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro10,1, and MacBookPro9,1. If you are using any of these, your lag is non-existent or minimal. It doesn't seem to matter what type or family of Nvidia card you use nor does your SIP status seem to matter ultimately. No tools, kexts, or other fixups seem currently able to resolve the lag.

It is possible that Skylake+ systems have worse lag. The lag is proportional to resolution, and the high CPU usage by WindowServer suggests some sort of falling back on software rendering, but it is not a library validation issue. Transparency all exists where it should. The issue is lag, occasional artifacts, and display detection failures, especially after sleep and/or display idle off.

I hope this info is helpful and that Nvidia will release an update and/or someone is able to find the source of the issue.

Thanks!

I tried iMac14,2, MacPro5,1, and MacPro6,1. Still lag.

Here is all the things I've tried.

"I did some testing...
  • On my HP Elite 8300 (with GTX 745), no lag and good performance with no change to anything in my configurations.
  • On my Z370 system (with GTX 1080), horrible lag.
  • I tried going down to bare essentials for kexts, SSDT files, patches, etc. Still lag.
  • I tried clean install with bare essentials of kexts, etc. Still lag.
  • I tried OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi. No difference.
  • I tried with and without NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Shiki.kext. No difference.
Update:
Tried a few more things...
  • I tried removing rename of PEGP to GFX0. No difference.
  • I tried MacPro6,1 system definition. No difference.
  • I tried using DSDT and SSDTs instead of Clover patches. No difference.
Update 2:
Tried some more things...
  • I tried iMac14,2 system definition. No difference.
  • I tried MacPro5,1 system definition. Less lag!!! Clear improvement, but still nowhere near as smooth as .104 drivers..."

I tried iMac14,2, MacPro5,1, and MacPro6,1. Still lag.

Here is all the things I've tried.

"I did some testing...
  • On my HP Elite 8300 (with GTX 745), no lag and good performance with no change to anything in my configurations.
  • On my Z370 system (with GTX 1080), horrible lag.
  • I tried going down to bare essentials for kexts, SSDT files, patches, etc. Still lag.
  • I tried clean install with bare essentials of kexts, etc. Still lag.
  • I tried OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi. No difference.
  • I tried with and without NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Shiki.kext. No difference.
Update:
Tried a few more things...
  • I tried removing rename of PEGP to GFX0. No difference.
  • I tried MacPro6,1 system definition. No difference.
  • I tried using DSDT and SSDTs instead of Clover patches. No difference.
Update 2:
Tried some more things...
  • I tried iMac14,2 system definition. No difference.
  • I tried MacPro5,1 system definition. Less lag!!! Clear improvement, but still nowhere near as smooth as .104 drivers..."

Fascinating. I've read comments from people who have had no lag or minimal lag with 156/157 on Haswell systems using iMac14,2. Maybe there is more CPU/Arch/Chipset connection than I first suspected. Thanks for sharing. I've been unable to test other SMBIOSes myself. Suggests SMBIOS is not an adequate solution, at least not for SKL+. Interesting that you did see some improvement on MacPro5,1 tho . . .

What SMBIOS is your HP Elite 8300 (with GTX 745) using? What CPU is in it?

Fascinating. I've read comments from people who have had no lag or minimal lag with 156/157 on Haswell systems using iMac14,2. Maybe there is more CPU/Arch/Chipset connection than I first suspected. Thanks for sharing. I've been unable to test other SMBIOSes myself. Suggests SMBIOS is not an adequate solution, at least not for SKL+. Interesting that you did see some improvement on MacPro5,1 tho . . .

What SMBIOS is your HP Elite 8300 (with GTX 745) using?

My HP Elite 8300 is using iMac13,2 system definition to best match its i7-3770 CPU. Everything works great.

I have also tried my Z370 system with 10.13.4 public beta and .156 drivers. Lag persists.

My HP Elite 8300 is using iMac13,2 system definition to best match its i7-3770 CPU. Everything works great.

I have also tried my Z370 system with 10.13.4 public beta and .156 drivers. Lag persists.

Of course, iMac13,2 is an Nvidia SMBIOS. Seems it has that prerequisite along with a pre-Skylake CPU. Consistent with what I've seen.

Yeah. I've read about other people trying 10.13.4 beta. Never helps. Seems the issue is in the driver itself or in something new it is doing with macOS . . . I presume it's something with eGPU since Apple plans to improve that going forward. Our saving grace is that it seems the lag affects SKL+ Mac users using Nvidia over eGPU as well, so Nvidia may fix it . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back