Contribute
Register

Replacing your Superdrive with a SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to ask...which optibay did you buy? Where, who, how much?

yep thats the plan, and ill install osx and my main apps etc on my ssd, and then use my regular hdd for file storage

I got my opti bay from ebay from "NYCOMPUTEK" it was listed as 19.99, but using the best offer option I got it for 14, from what I can tell its a nice product, good quality

I have already done what you all are talking about. Its a very nice set up. Machine boots super quick, programs pop right up, and battery life went up. In fact battery life almost doubled. :headbang:
A couple of things to note though. Your computer wont be able to sleep anymore. If you put the HDD in your Super Drive area you will get A LOT OF HEAT!!!!!!! :think: I would advice using the SSD in that area. It doesn't get as hot. If you insist on using a 7200 RPM drive you will get A LOT of Heat :banghead: as well and battery life goes down a little. MacBook Pros are known to run very HOT, so make sure you watch your temps closely. Mine over heated a couple of times. Thankfully, I still had Apple Care and they repaired it for me. It has been running like a champ ever since.

Let me know how your install goes when your done, itssteve. I do wanna hear your experience.

My ssd is taking longer to arrive then i had hoped, so i am still waiting.

But why cant your computer sleep? I havnt read anything about that

We have tried and tried. It just wont sleep for some reason. I couldn't tell you completely. The boot and reboot time is so fast I really didn't worry about it. Oh, I am using a 08 model. Right before the Unibodies. Maybe, yours will except it. :thumbup:

ahh ok, well ill hope for the best and once my ssd arrives ill let you all know how it went!

how is the status of switching the Superdrive with the SSD ?

I can share my experience. I installed a 7200 RPM seagate drive in the optibay and it ran very hot. Too hot for my liking. I then added a SSD drive in the optibay and it ran normally. I now have two 64GB kingston SSD on my MBP. It is very fast.

I bought my optibay on ebay for $ 15 from a Chinese seller and shipping was free.

My MBP from late 2008 has a chinese branded optibay (11$ plus 3$ shipping!) and it holds my 7200 rpm 500GB WD scorpio black, in my hardrive bay is a 120 GB vertex 3 ( I know its sata3 but it runs fine on sata 2 too) and I have not had any problems at all, according heat and so on.
The whole process took me like half an hour..
I have changed them around SSD in optibay and HDD is normal bay, but so far I have not noticed a difference..

My data (~/Music ~/Pictures ~/Downloads/ is on the drive and the OS on the SSD, all is superfast! Booting takes 11 seconds..
All Applications are "instant on" and my brothers i7 MBP with HDD from 2011 feels a lot slower.

I have ordered a sata to usb converter thingy and a micro sata cable for my superdrive, so I can still burn the occasional DVD/CD when needed.

Best upgrade ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back