Graphics
GTX 580 3gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I was curious if anyone here has done this. I'm currently thinking about replacing my 320gb 5200 drive with a 750gb 7200 drive, and replacing my superdrive with a ssd.

However before I attempt this I was hoping someone could answer a few questions

How will this affect my battery life?

and

I know this "voids" my warrenty, however if I replace the original parts if there is a problem will apple know?

if anyone else has done something similar to this your input would be appreciated :)

Hi, Steve! Welcome to the forum. Another Buckeye is always welcome.

I, too, have a MBP, and, while I haven't done it, I've been researching it. MacIntouch.com has discussed this in one of it's discussion areas as have other forums.

The bottom line is that, since the SDD doesn't sleep, put it in the Superdrive area with an adapter from Other World computing and redirect you home directory back to the HHD, leaving your hard drive then as a backup boot drive and data drive. With this approach, the SSD will give you instant on and the old HHD will sleep more often, thus reducing heat and maybe extend your battery life. :thumbup:

If you find any good reference links, post them here. I'll do the same now that you asked. Now, let me see...where did I find that info.... :D

Awesome good to hear! That makes me super excited to begin this :p

If I find anything else out ill post links, and then once I do it ill also be sure to post pics etc

itssteve said:
Awesome good to hear! That makes me super excited to begin this :p

If I find anything else out ill post links, and then once I do it ill also be sure to post pics etc

I also have a 2011 MBPro and have the same desires. Most recommend installing the SSD in the standard HD bay to take advantage of the SATA III controller and moving the main HD to the superdrive bay.

Anyway there is quite a lengthy thread (over 1300 posts) at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=680228.

Post your results for all of us.

I ordered my ssd and a optibay off ebay, they should both be here by friday supposedly. I'm gonna time my bootup before and after, as well as run a geekbench score before and after, anything else I should do? Then ill post all of my finding on here

itssteve said:
I ordered my ssd and a optibay off ebay, they should both be here by friday supposedly. I'm gonna time my bootup before and after, as well as run a geekbench score before and after, anything else I should do? Then ill post all of my finding on here

Looking forward to reading about it- be sure to take some pics!

Will do :) I know there are already plenty of guides showing how its done, but ill probably go ahead and make my own little guide since I have too much free time :p

Ill be sure to keep you all updated

itssteve said:
Will do :) I know there are already plenty of guides showing how its done, but ill probably go ahead and make my own little guide since I have too much free time :p

Ill be sure to keep you all updated

Did you check out any of the posts from what I linked you?

i did some skimming, but didnt read too far into it

and I got my optibay this morning, however I'm still waiting on my ssd

i'm getting excited :)

itssteve said:
i did some skimming, but didnt read too far into it

and I got my optibay this morning, however I'm still waiting on my ssd

i'm getting excited :)

Are you going to install the SSD on the SATA III port (where the existing HD is) and move your HD to the optibay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back