Contribute
Register

replacing my maximus hero x with gigabyte z390 M ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 MAXIMUS HERO X
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
hellofolks,
I built my rig following @Stork great guide on installing macos on it (Golden build) and it worked fine for a couple of years.

Now the MB is dying (unexpected reboot, ethernet not working anymore, under linux multiple PCIE errors messages, etc)... uluckly I don't have the budget to create a new rig with modern hardware and I was planning to replace it with GIGABYTE Z390M (which comes at an affordable price) and reuse all the other component I have (see my signature)...
Does anyone have experience with the Gigabyte motherboard? do you reccomend it?
Will it have similar performance to my MAXIMUS HERO X?

thanks in advance for any help

regards
blackdir

hellofolks,
I built my rig following @Stork great guide on installing macos on it (Golden build) and it worked fine for a couple of years.

Now the MB is dying (unexpected reboot, ethernet not working anymore, under linux multiple PCIE errors messages, etc)... uluckly I don't have the budget to create a new rig with modern hardware and I was planning to replace it with GIGABYTE Z390M (which comes at an affordable price) and reuse all the other component I have (see my signature)...
Does anyone have experience with the Gigabyte motherboard? do you reccomend it?

regards
blackdir

Is probably fairly close:

You can likely use this guide with the exception you might need to map your own USB ports. It is also very possible that you could just swap all the hardware and have the system just boot without any changes to your config other then making a USB map for the new board.

hellofolks,

Does anyone have experience with the Gigabyte motherboard? do you recommend it?

regards
blackdir
That motherboard should be able to work with your other components to run the installed MacOS on your system.

Do you have another motherboard choice?

Thank you @scottkendall for your answer and pointer to the guide :)

@Jamesbond007 with similar pricing to the gigabyte I can also go with a MSI Z390-A PRO... would it be better? I heard that gigabyte motherboard are very reliable

Thank you @scottkendall for your answer and pointer to the guide :)

@Jamesbond007 with similar pricing to the gigabyte I can also go with a MSI Z390-A PRO... would it be better? I heard that gigabyte motherboard are very reliable
I had an MSI system it was very reliable, I also have had Asus systems and almost exclusively bought Asus for a long long time. However, my current system is a Gigabyte and I can not say that I have had any issues with the mother board.

For me I use Gigabyte (1st choice) or Asus (2nd choice). All my hackintosh systems use Gigabyte motherboards. So I would suggest going with the Gigabyte motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back