Contribute
Register

RehabMan's ProBook Ivy Bridge 4540s

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought the 9280 earlier but bought the BCM943225hmb after checking that thread. bluetooth 3.0 is good enough for me and I don't need AC right now.

Of course, if there's a good deal on one I'll snag it to test in the 4440s

Everything seems to work fine, except the sleep. When I press the sleep button/select the sleep from the Apple menu/close the lid, only the display goes to sleep. I've tried the two system_WAK patches, but there was no any difference with any of them.

Did you wait long enough? There is a 20 second delay in Mavericks.

20 seconds?!? Are Apple crazy? I haven't waited so long.

One their new machines you can't tell the difference. For example on my MacBookAir6,2:
- the fan is almost always off
- there is no outward indication of sleep (nothing flashing, no different colored LED, etc)
- the storage is solid state (PCIe SSD) so it makes no noise
- sleep is delayed by ~20 sec (verified by looking at system.log)

Summary: Normal Mac users won't even notice this delay.

One their new machines you can't tell the difference. For example on my MacBookAir6,2:
- there is no outward indication of sleep (nothing flashing, no different colored LED, etc)

BTW, all 4x40s models indeed have a whitelist in BIOS, but it's enforced only for the second miniPCIe slot. Yes, I've opened my 4340s and that was the first thing I've noticed: second, full-size miniPCIe slot (probably for 3G adaptor) and a second pair of antеnnas. My joy however was very short, because the card I've installed in this slot (original full-size Apple-branded Atheros 9280) was rejected (the famous error 702). The half-size miniPCIe slot however works just fine with any card, installed in it.

That slot is used for WWAN card, and it still has Whitelist in BIOS. Only half-mini wifi slot is unlocked.

Just tested it, they are a little more than 20 seconds, but yes, the laptop goes to sleep. And the option in BIOS to wake the laptop on opening the lid is so cool ! Also can confirm: the blinkscreen utility is still needed. Yes, the brightness levels work even without it, but they are not the same.

My 4340s has finally arrived and I've made a fresh Mavericks install on it. The only difference is that I've made my second boot with IGPEnabler=No only, it seems the system can boot without -x at this point. It came with Ralink based adaptor, which I've replaced with one BCM94322HM8L based card, rebranded with the Apple IDs. I've already ordered an Atheros 9280 based card and until it has arrived, I'll use this one. Had to install Chameleon manually due to the 4k sector problem. Everything seems to work fine, except the sleep. When I press the sleep button/select the sleep from the Apple menu/close the lid, only the display goes to sleep. I've tried the two system_WAK patches, but there was no any difference with any of them.

I have exactly the same machine and amount of RAM...it really runs Mavericks like a dream (and also windows 8.1 eheh)

For 4540s users, a new BIOS is available. F43.

For 4540s users, a new BIOS is available. F43.

Supported HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP ProBook 4340s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4341s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4440s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4441s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4740s Notebook PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back