Contribute
Register

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 16GB | HD4000

Do you recall how much the total was for your build?
Sorry - not offhand. I've actually included all the links in the parts list, so if you have a few moments, just click the links for the major components and "do the math" to cost out the build! :thumbup:

Greetings everyone - just a quick note to let you know I've made some updates to the original post. Off & on over the past 6 months I've made some tweaks to the system for a variety of reasons. Tonight, I've tried to go back & make sure the parts list, images, and other misc. things reflect the current build (maybe I should call this Recording Studio 2.1 ???).

Items of note that have changed:
  • Upgraded from 16 to 32GB RAM. With Pro Tools 11|HD being completely 64-bit, I've maxed out my RAM to take advantage of the new app horsepower.
  • Moved the front panel FW400 port from the Syba card to the on-board 1394A. I'll probably only use this port in a pinch, and then only to connect a HD as needed. I was having limited success when running one of my Mackie FW audio interfaces off of the VIA 1394A. To that end...
  • I added a Belkin 1394A PCIe card to the build (and ditched the 1394A backplane that was connected to the onboard FW400). It was a pull from my most recent MacPro prior to me selling that machine & building my first CustoMac. Works OoB like a champ & is TI chipset.
  • Trying to get the time & courage to dabble a bit with overclocking, so to prepare for that, I ditched the in-box/stock Intel CPU cooler in lieu of a kick-a$$ Noctua that someone on here recommended. The design is quite unique and it COMPLETELY clears the uber-tall heatsinks on the Corsair Vengeance RAM closest to the CPU. Pricey, but I gotta tell ya: at normal 3.5GHz operating speed, it runs EASILY 15ºC cooler than the stock cooler.

I've updated the annotated photo showing the inside of the build, as well as updated my GeekBench screen shot. BTW, I don't know if I should have been getting better scores with the added RAM, but I went from ~14800 to almost 14900 with the added RAM.

Have a rockin' 4th of July everyone (in the US of course!) :headbang:

Nice

What mic's do you have?

Sorry - not offhand. I've actually included all the links in the parts list, so if you have a few moments, just click the links for the major components and "do the math" to cost out the build! :thumbup:

I CAN do that. Gee, I feel stupid:banghead:

Also, In the second image in you main post, it looks as if the HDD bay is tilted down. Is that from the weight or is it just from the angle of the image?

• Upgraded from 16 to 32GB RAM. With Pro Tools 11|HD being completely 64-bit, I've maxed out my RAM to take advantage of the new app horsepower.

This probably isn't the right place but what do you think of PT11? We got off of HD/TDM about five years ago on the larger rigs for Nuendo on Windows. It was pretty flakey until 64bit. But then so are some Pro Tools rigs... ;) We kept LE for the smaller rigs and went to 9 Native a couple/few years back because as solid as Nuendo is for us, most of us that cut our teeth on tape and consoles prefer the PT workflow so at times we mix on that.

BoomR,
Too bad Newegg is out of stock on the Belkin Firewire card. However, for those of you who are looking for OS X compatible Firewire PCI/PCIe cards with TI/Oxford chipsets, I recommend Other World Computing's stock of Firewire cards. (OWC's web site is macsales.com and are a well know Macintosh 3rd party retailer for parts and add-ons.) Here's the link to their stock of

Firewire Accessories: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

Firewire Cards (scroll down for the desktop cards): http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/add-ons-and-hubs/pci-pcmcia-cards

Since I have Firewire external drives, iSight web camera and other Firewire peripherals for my older Macs, I have the following card for the Mac Pro case mod project I'm doing: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Aaxeon/FWB68300/ It has two external FW800 & one FW400 ports and one internal FW800 port (for routing to the Mac Pro case's front panel), and it has the TI chipset. :thumbup:
AAXFWB68300_gall2.jpeg

After building this build, i fell in love with the MOBO, its a beast!!!

My boys PC is so fast and running OSX like a champ. Im going to start saving up and build the same PC. No firewires or another unnecessary parts.

maybe go with the i7

Hello BoomR :wave: Complete newbie to putting OS X on anything but a Mac. I've been heartily inspired by your build and the contents of this thread so much so that I've decided to closely copy your build to be my main Pro Tools computer. I look at builds such as yours to be the future of the personal DAW, and with PT now being 64 bit, I do think we've reached a milestone in the PT community.

I'll be taking the plunge on the build within the next couple of weeks... be sure to let you know how it goes!

[/LIST]

This probably isn't the right place but what do you think of PT11? We got off of HD/TDM about five years ago on the larger rigs for Nuendo on Windows. It was pretty flakey until 64bit. But then so are some Pro Tools rigs... ;) We kept LE for the smaller rigs and went to 9 Native a couple/few years back because as solid as Nuendo is for us, most of us that cut our teeth on tape and consoles prefer the PT workflow so at times we mix on that.

Hey man - sorry for the delay. Keep an eye on this link - I'm going to do a follow-up post in the next few days on my first impressions of PT11. That's probably a better spot to answer your question. For now, suffice it to say that it's SCREAMING FAST to boot up & equally as snappy in the way it responds. But of course being on the "bleeding edge" of this new release has some down-sides...will discuss further over there.

THANKS!
--B
:headbang:

Hello BoomR :wave: Complete newbie to putting OS X on anything but a Mac. I've been heartily inspired by your build and the contents of this thread so much so that I've decided to closely copy your build to be my main Pro Tools computer. I look at builds such as yours to be the future of the personal DAW, and with PT now being 64 bit, I do think we've reached a milestone in the PT community.

I'll be taking the plunge on the build within the next couple of weeks... be sure to let you know how it goes!

Thanks - and good to hear! Please do keep us posted!! And if you run into any snags, make sure to start a new post over in the Build or Installation forums to request some assistance to resolve! Best wishes on the new build-to-be!!

Cheers!
--B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back