CPU
Core i7-4790K
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to build a CustoMac Mini to replace my old Hackintosh. I'll be sticking to all of the stock parts with the singular exception of the processor. Most of the time, the machine will be running as a headless iTunes, file, and Xcode server, but I will be doing frequent Handbrake transcodes and I would like a processor that can keep up.

The i3s on the page seem a little underpowered, so I was wondering if someone here could recommend another CPU from the list at http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html#CPUs. Since the case is small, I know heat is also a consideration, and I know that the case's power supply will limit which CPUs I can use. I'm looking for a happy medium between price, performance, power consumption, and heat. Any recommendations are welcome.

Though I have a stable background in computers, this will be the first computer that I have ever built myself, so I have one final question. What is the purpose of the Thermaltake fan at http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html#CustoMac_Mini?

I'm trying to build a CustoMac Mini to replace my old Hackintosh. I'll be sticking to all of the stock parts with the singular exception of the processor. Most of the time, the machine will be running as a headless iTunes, file, and Xcode server, but I will be doing frequent Handbrake transcodes and I would like a processor that can keep up.

The i3s on the page seem a little underpowered, so I was wondering if someone here could recommend another CPU from the list at http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html#CPUs. Since the case is small, I know heat is also a consideration, and I know that the case's power supply will limit which CPUs I can use. I'm looking for a happy medium between price, performance, power consumption, and heat. Any recommendations are welcome.

Though I have a stable background in computers, this will be the first computer that I have ever built myself, so I have one final question. What is the purpose of the Thermaltake fan at http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html#CustoMac_Mini?
Need to know what mainboard you intend to use before suggesting a CPU. Basically, if you do not intend to overclock, an S or T model CPU will work best for least power/lowest heat. Also depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm sticking with the Gigabyte H97N Wifi model that's on the CustoMac Mini site. I'm aiming to spend around $200 on the processor, with a maximum of $250. I won't be overclocking.

Thanks for replying!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm sticking with the Gigabyte H97N Wifi model that's on the CustoMac Mini site. I'm aiming to spend around $200 on the processor, with a maximum of $250. I won't be overclocking.

Thanks for replying!

I would go with the i5 4690S for that board and that usage. It is within your limits on the budget, too.

Thanks! I was looking at the 4690S, but I was a little hesitant that it might be too high profile. I'll be picking up that proc!

Also, I read that the Thermaltake is smaller than the stock CPU cooler, so I concluded that it was meant to replace it. Some people were complaining that the stock cooler on the CPU would leave very little headroom between itself and the PSU fan. I guess I'll try the machine with it and without it and record temps. One question: The Thermaltake is listed to support LGA1156 whereas the GA-H97N and the 4690S are both LGA1150. Are these compatible? I mean, I guess it wouldn't be listed on the buyers guide if it weren't but do know about processors needing to be of the same socket type as the mobo. Thoughts?

Thanks! I was looking at the 4690S, but I was a little hesitant that it might be too high profile. I'll be picking up that proc!

Also, I read that the Thermaltake is smaller than the stock CPU cooler, so I concluded that it was meant to replace it. Some people were complaining that the stock cooler on the CPU would leave very little headroom between itself and the PSU fan. I guess I'll try the machine with it and without it and record temps. One question: The Thermaltake is listed to support LGA1156 whereas the GA-H97N and the 4690S are both LGA1150. Are these compatible? I mean, I guess it wouldn't be listed on the buyers guide if it weren't but do know about processors needing to be of the same socket type as the mobo. Thoughts?

CPU coolers fitting the 1156 socket will also fit the 1150, and usually the 1366 socket also - they are basically all the same size and have the same mounting hole pattern on the board. Look at the OEM vendor site and it will list all of the CPU/sockets the cooler will fit.

Thank you. Do you know if iStat Menus will be able to gauge the CPU temps of a Hackintosh, or would I need to run some tool under Windows? The Gigabyte motherboard is supposed to be highly compatible with OS X.

Thank you. Do you know if iStat Menus will be able to gauge the CPU temps of a Hackintosh, or would I need to run some tool under Windows? The Gigabyte motherboard is supposed to be highly compatible with OS X.
iStat Menus does not work in 10.7 and later versions of OS X. Hardware monitor is most often used with FakeSMC plugins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back