Contribute
Register

Recommendation: 300Mbps 2.4Ghz Wireless N PCIe Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janitor,

Thank you so much for posting such valuable information!! And thanks also to Rothko for the idiots guide to injecting kexts. I find that I usually fall beneath the lowest common denominator of computer knowledge on this forum, so its always a relief when someone takes the time to spell it out step by step.

Thanks to this post, I have my WiFi working with the TP-Link TLWN881ND!!

im trying to use your method but on mountain lion do you think that your kext file could possibly work with out editing the files myself or since because it a newer OS should i just edit the kext myself? i've never really edited kext before as this is my very first mac or hackintosh as you'd say

edit - *okay so I tried to do it myself on mountain lion but to no available. I'm pretty sure I copied and edited and and replaced then repaired everything properly but nothing. Still don't work. My Device/Ven Id's are as follows Dev:168c Ven:002e
should I only be adding the 2e or the whole 4 digits cuz that's what I did, the whole 4 digits.
Any answers anyone?

Hmm not sure where you got this Id from, literally use the one above if its the same card, nothing else...should work. Let me know how it goes.

Tried using your kext to replace mine to get this wireless card to work and now i'm stuck at the apple and wheel screen. here's my -v screen IMG_1581.jpg sorry it's upside down.

edit - *okay so I tried to do it myself on mountain lion but to no available. I'm pretty sure I copied and edited and and replaced then repaired everything properly but nothing. Still don't work. My Device/Ven Id's are as follows Dev:168c Ven:002e
should I only be adding the 2e or the whole 4 digits cuz that's what I did, the whole 4 digits.
Any answers anyone?

My Dev/Ven ID's are exactly the same (see the attached picture) and I can't enable Wifi/Airport either even though I've properly(?) edited "AirportAtheros40.kext" -file. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• SysInfo.png
    SysInfo.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 169
My Dev/Ven ID's are exactly the same (see the attached picture) and I can't enable Wifi/Airport either even though I've properly(?) edited "AirportAtheros40.kext" -file. Any suggestions?

You probably didn't edit the file correctly. Or you forgot to repair permissions (Disk Utility) & rebuild cache (Kext Wizard).

FYI: It is better to use an injector kext or DSDT patches for this kind of thing as those changes will survive system updates, where editing kexts in IO80211Family.kext will not.

See this sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

You probably didn't edit the file correctly. Or you forgot to repair permissions (Disk Utility) & rebuild cache (Kext Wizard).

FYI: It is better to use an injector kext or DSDT patches for this kind of thing as those changes will survive system updates, where editing kexts in IO80211Family.kext will not.

See this sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

I followed the instructions* you linked and got it working. Thanks RehabMan! It is now showing as Airport Extreme in my system. Only thing that's bothering now is that it's VERY slow. On windows it's at least double the speed. What's this about then? :rolleyes:

(*I used PlistEdit Pro for editing info.plist and DPCIManager for kext installing, repair permissions and rebuild cache)

I followed the instructions* you linked and got it working. Thanks RehabMan! It is now showing as Airport Extreme in my system. Only thing that's bothering now is that it's VERY slow. On windows it's at least double the speed. What's this about then? :rolleyes:

What does Network Utility show for connection speed?

(*I used PlistEdit Pro for editing info.plist and DPCIManager for kext installing, repair permissions and rebuild cache)

Hey cool. I never noticed DPCIManager's Rebuild Cache option. I might start recommending that instead of Kext Wizard. Mainly because it shows the log, which is very important when there are errors. Kext Wizard does the same thing, but you have to monitor the system.log via Console to see any errors.

What does Network Utility show for connection speed?

130 Mb/s

Edit: Okay it might be my router atm slowing it down. I got much better results trying it with my Airport Express.

That's pretty good. I'm getting only 65Mb/s with my AR9285.

Are you saying throughput is not what you expect?

FYI: AR9280 offers the best performance on OS X out of all the compatible Atheros WiFi cards.

That's pretty good. I'm getting only 65Mb/s with my AR9285.

Are you saying throughput is not what you expect?

FYI: AR9280 offers the best performance on OS X out of all the compatible Atheros WiFi cards.

I edited my earlier post and I guess the reason is my router. I tried with different channels and the speed went up. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back