Contribute
Register

Recommendation: 300Mbps 2.4Ghz Wireless N PCIe Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
just installed one of these and all working without problems. I'm on 10.7.3 as a MacPro3,1 It saw my router and access point and i can connect to both.

Its seen as an AirPort Extreme card and reports that AirDrop is supported, this is a great find.

I am about to try this with http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851N#spec. I can't find what chipset it is - this was my original card and it wasn't the best in Windows so I bought another one.

The second card was a WMP600N which was very good in windows, however cannot get it recognised in my new build :(

EDIT
Did you get the vendor/product id's from system information/PCI Cards originally? As I am currently using the WN851N model, a quick bit of googling says that it is Atheros chipset. However I cannot find a device id or product id for it anywhere to inject

janitor said:
I had to manually inject the Device ID 168c,30a4 into the 'Info.plist' files inside IO80211Family.kext / Contents / Plugins / AirPortAtheros21.kext and AirPortAtheros40.kext respectively. (Thanks to baybaymac for that one!)
It's not quite an OOB solution, but with a 30 seconds tweak, a permissions repair and a restart it's close enough ;)

How do you manually inject device ID? the info.plist is locked.

jeepus said:
janitor said:
I had to manually inject the Device ID 168c,30a4 into the 'Info.plist' files inside IO80211Family.kext / Contents / Plugins / AirPortAtheros21.kext and AirPortAtheros40.kext respectively. (Thanks to baybaymac for that one!)
It's not quite an OOB solution, but with a 30 seconds tweak, a permissions repair and a restart it's close enough ;)

How do you manually inject device ID? the info.plist is locked.

Hi Jeepus,

Sorry for the delayed answer on this...

To inject the Device ID into the info.plist file manually, you need to copy the whole kext file to your desktop and edit this version. You then need to install the edited kext file with Kext Wizard or KextBeast (which automatically repairs file permissions again when done).

Craigrox said:
I am about to try this with http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851N#spec. I can't find what chipset it is - this was my original card and it wasn't the best in Windows so I bought another one.

The second card was a WMP600N which was very good in windows, however cannot get it recognised in my new build :(

EDIT
Did you get the vendor/product id's from system information/PCI Cards originally? As I am currently using the WN851N model, a quick bit of googling says that it is Atheros chipset. However I cannot find a device id or product id for it anywhere to inject

Hi Craigrox,

I originally got my Vendor/Product IDs by using 'DPCIManager.app'. But if i remember correctly, it might have given me a different Device ID than the one I ended up using. In the end I think I used the Device ID I found whilst digging around with 'IORegistryExplorer.app' and searching for the Vendor ID of 168c.
Alternatively, you could always find this info via Device Manager using a Windows install.

Good luck! And let us know how it works out for you.

Another WiFi card in the list will be a welcome addition, especially a standard PCI version like this one for users with older motherboards and/or no available PCIe slots.

Cheers!

It's even easier in Mountain Lion as there's only 1 kext (AirPortAtheros40) to edit. Working perfectly so far, will test further and report in case of any problem.

Captura de pantalla 2012-06-29 a la(s) 20.46.30.png

Hi all, I installed this card but can only get ever maximum transmit rate of 130.... ML 10.8.2... on same computer in windows 7 it shows 300mbps...

Do any of you guys get a transmit rate 200 or higher?

I'm thinking of getting the TL-WDN4800 but would rather not have to pay the $50 if I don't need it... my router can't support above 300mbps anyhow... but I'd like to have my wireless card at 300 mbps...

P.S. does anyone know if the TL-WDN4800 on Hackintosh Mountain Lion will support 300mbps or higher speeds?

Hi all, I installed this card but can only get ever maximum transmit rate of 130.... ML 10.8.2... on same computer in windows 7 it shows 300mbps...

Do any of you guys get a transmit rate 200 or higher?

I'm thinking of getting the TL-WDN4800 but would rather not have to pay the $50 if I don't need it... my router can't support above 300mbps anyhow... but I'd like to have my wireless card at 300 mbps...

P.S. does anyone know if the TL-WDN4800 on Hackintosh Mountain Lion will support 300mbps or higher speeds?

AFAIK, OS X will only connect at 300Mbps at 5GHz freqs. At 2.4GHz, it will only try a max of 130Mbps. Observed on my MacBook Pro to an Airport Extreme.

What freqs are you running your WDN-4800 on?

Recommended and Idiots guide to injecting kext.

I can also recommend it. I thought it was not working but stuuupid me, I didn't realise you have to add the wi-fi profile! I was scanning and nothing was coming up. For any of you who tare worried about injecting into the kext, here is my simple guide...

Download text wrangler...then...
(Mountain Lion)

In Finder (at the top) click "GO",
then computer,
then (your disk with the OSX on it)
then system,
then library,
then extensions. Now look for kext (white lego brick) called IO80211Family.kext

Now right click or um whatever you do to get the dialog box
then show package contents.
drop contents, then plugins then right click again on AirportAtheros40.kext
then contents, info.plist.

Open this in text wrangler. Look for the list of things named similar to "pci168c,30a4"
and literally add this to the list. I chose the second place as its a similar number.
save it, exit. Job done. Just go to network etc. Oh, and repair permissions first by disk utility (i do this often)

I had a weird restart straight after but it cleared up. Im so happy with it, I bought mine from a shop for only 12 euros. Yay.

im trying to use your method but on mountain lion do you think that your kext file could possibly work with out editing the files myself or since because it a newer OS should i just edit the kext myself? i've never really edited kext before as this is my very first mac or hackintosh as you'd say

edit - *okay so I tried to do it myself on mountain lion but to no available. I'm pretty sure I copied and edited and and replaced then repaired everything properly but nothing. Still don't work. My Device/Ven Id's are as follows Dev:168c Ven:002e
should I only be adding the 2e or the whole 4 digits cuz that's what I did, the whole 4 digits.
Any answers anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back