Contribute
Register

Recommend me a motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
post up the boards in your price range, and ill let you know about them.

1)MSI Z77A-G45
2)Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
3)Asus P8Z77-V LX
4)ASRock Z77 Pro 4
5)Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
I know they're low end but these are the boards which i think would be fine for my needs. Could you tell me if I'm right?
I basically need Sound (I have 2 Speakers and one Subwoofer),Ethernet,1 HDD and 2 SSDs,1 GFX Card,At least 2 Usb 2.0 and 2 3.0 + the front panel of my case working. I think that's about it.

1)MSI Z77A-G45
2)Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
3)Asus P8Z77-V LX
4)ASRock Z77 Pro 4
5)Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
I know they're low end but these are the boards which i think would be fine for my needs. Could you tell me if I'm right?
I basically need Sound (I have 2 Speakers and one Subwoofer),Ethernet,1 HDD and 2 SSDs,1 GFX Card,At least 2 Usb 2.0 and 2 3.0 + the front panel of my case working. I think that's about it.

1) popular board for msi users. similar to the g43 which is also popular. sleep/wake works oob. realtek lan/audio. needs modded bios
2) unpopular board, popular brand. has via audio/atheros lan, so if you rely on onboard audio dont get it. doesnt need modded bios.
3) quite a few users of this board. asus is 2nd most used brand on forum. realtek audio/lan. needs modded bios, however modded bios cannot be flashed on this particular board so must use patched aicpupm kext. i would avoid due to that.
4) weve already covered this board. realtek audio/lan. needs modded bios. newer asrock boards/bioses dont need any dsdt edits for sleep, but cannot confirm for this particular board.
5) same as board 2

to summarise, all of the non-gigabyte boards need a modded bios (else they kp on powermanagement kext). modded bios fixes the issue to make a part of the bios writable.

the gigabyte in your list arent good if youre using onboard audio.

the asus board is one of 2 asus z77 boards which cannot flash a modded bios (the other is the LK). this means you must use patched aicpupm kext. read in this thread why this is annoying http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html

my choice in that list would be either the asrock or the msi.

1) popular board for msi users. similar to the g43 which is also popular. sleep/wake works oob. realtek lan/audio. needs modded bios
2) unpopular board, popular brand. has via audio/atheros lan, so if you rely on onboard audio dont get it. doesnt need modded bios.
3) quite a few users of this board. asus is 2nd most used brand on forum. realtek audio/lan. needs modded bios, however modded bios cannot be flashed on this particular board so must use patched aicpupm kext. i would avoid due to that.
4) weve already covered this board. realtek audio/lan. needs modded bios. newer asrock boards/bioses dont need any dsdt edits for sleep, but cannot confirm for this particular board.
5) same as board 2

to summarise, all of the non-gigabyte boards need a modded bios (else they kp on powermanagement kext). modded bios fixes the issue to make a part of the bios writable.

the asus board is one of 2 asus z77 boards which cannot flash a modded bios (the other is the LK). this means you must use patched aicpupm kext. read in this thread why this is annoying http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html

So GB mobo is better choice because the installation will be easier? In fact how hard is to install ML on Asrock? I personally prefer Asrock and the only reason I haven't bought the mobo is because I think I'll fail the installation :x I've read the tutorial about Asrock motherboards twice but I didn't get anything :D

PS - I'm sorry for my bad English :x

5) same as board 2

About the newer ASrock boards which dont need a DSDT, which are you talking about? Just confirmed that the DS3H will be available on the 10th of October.

So GB mobo is better choice because the installation will be easier? In fact how hard is to install ML on Asrock? I personally prefer Asrock and the only reason I haven't bought the mobo is because I think I'll fail the installation :x I've read the tutorial about Asrock motherboards twice but I didn't get anything :D

PS - I'm sorry for my bad English :x

installation? no

ill try to explain it in an easy way, but one where you have enough info to make your own judgement.

there are 2 reasons why gigabyte uefi boards are favoured; 1) they do not have a critical part of their bios locked 2) the dsdt in the bios is compatible with osx natively (remember this is the uefi boards, so gigabyte z77 etc, and now the older gb boards are getting uefi)

so lets break this down in relation to other brands (asus, asrock, msi)
1) there is a part of the uefi bioses which deals with cstate config. all mobo makers since last year (except gigabyte as they were using award bios) have left this part locked. when the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext tries to write to it, it cannot and kernel panics.
by modifying the bios to remove this lock, we no longer have this issue, and can boot with the native power managment kext without problem.
gigabyte uefi boards do not engage this lock from the factory.

2) the native dsdt of gigabyte uefi boards is known to work fine with osx. this means that sleep, wake up, usb, shutdown, restart etc all work without the need for modifying the dsdt.
this is also the case on other uefi boards, including asrock, msi and asus boards.
however, not all of the native dsdts on these other brands are equal. for example, one model of asus board might not need a modified dsdt, while another one might need a slight edit for sleep.
thing to note is that as uefi progresses, there has been less need for modifying the dsdt, eg. early asrock roms (such as from last year) needed dsdt modifications for sleep. with the latest asrock roms, this is no longer the case.
the most latest uefi roms seem to work great for all brands, including asrock, gigabyte, asus and msi.

in short, you cannot 'fail the installation' as long as the cpu and graphics card are fine.
the asrock z77 pro 4 or pro 3 uses realtek lan and audio, so thats fine.
you can obtain a modified bios from the link in this thread.
you will not need a modified dsdt for shutdown, restart, usb, boot up etc.
you may need a dsdt edit for sleep, i simply can not say with 100% certainty as i have not seen your board used yet. however, from what i have seen on here, other asrock *77 boards and the 6series asrock boards using the latest uefi roms do sleep natively without any dsdt edits.

installation? no

ill try to explain it in an easy way, but one where you have enough info to make your own judgement.

there are 2 reasons why gigabyte uefi boards are favoured; 1) they do not have a critical part of their bios locked 2) the dsdt in the bios is compatible with osx natively (remember this is the uefi boards, so gigabyte z77 etc, and now the older gb boards are getting uefi)

so lets break this down in relation to other brands (asus, asrock, msi)
1) there is a part of the uefi bioses which deals with cstate config. all mobo makers since last year (except gigabyte as they were using award bios) have left this part locked. when the appleintelcpupowermanagement kext tries to write to it, it cannot and kernel panics.
by modifying the bios to remove this lock, we no longer have this issue, and can boot with the native power managment kext without problem.
gigabyte uefi boards do not engage this lock from the factory.

2) the native dsdt of gigabyte uefi boards is known to work fine with osx. this means that sleep, wake up, usb, shutdown, restart etc all work without the need for modifying the dsdt.
this is also the case on other uefi boards, including asrock, msi and asus boards.
however, not all of the native dsdts on these other brands are equal. for example, one model of asus board might not need a modified dsdt, while another one might need a slight edit for sleep.
thing to note is that as uefi progresses, there has been less need for modifying the dsdt, eg. early asrock roms (such as from last year) needed dsdt modifications for sleep. with the latest asrock roms, this is no longer the case.
the most latest uefi roms seem to work great for all brands, including asrock, gigabyte, asus and msi.

in short, you cannot 'fail the installation' as long as the cpu and graphics card are fine.
the asrock z77 pro 4 or pro 3 uses realtek lan and audio, so thats fine.
you can obtain a modified bios from the link in this thread.
you will not need a modified dsdt for shutdown, restart, usb, boot up etc.
you may need a dsdt edit for sleep, i simply can not say with 100% certainty as i have not seen your board used yet. however, from what i have seen on here, other asrock *77 boards and the 6series asrock boards using the latest uefi roms do sleep natively without any dsdt edits.

Thanks!! Could you send me a link of a board which you would recommend (Asrock) please? :D

that i can not do, sorry :problem:

i dont buy asrock boards, so havent used one myself for osx. so i can only go on what i see. problem is this, not enough confirmed user reports on sleep with the mainstream z77 boards (there are for h77, and ive come across one for z77. a bunch for 6series with latest bios). they just arent very popular for osx.
so if i recommend you one, and it turns out to not sleep natively, i look like a jerk!

you could take a leap of faith and get a z77 pro3 or pro4 and fingers crossed, or go with a confirmed board eg. the msi choices or asus (just not the LX or LK), or wait till october for the ds3h.

samisnake: This is by far the clearest explanation I've seen to this question as it appears here over and over again. Would be great to convert it to a post that could be "stickied" somewhere so we could all point to it. Regards-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back