Contribute
Register

Really need help with ML IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice hang on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the days of Multibeast 4.6.0/4.6.1, some of the plugins were placed right in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Look for ITEIT87x.kext there. If you find that, then there are probably other plugins there:

ACPISensors.kext
FintekF718x.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
ITEIT87x.kext
NSCPC8739x.kext
NuvotonNCT677x.kext
OemSMBIOS.kext <== a particular problem
WinbondW836x.kext

You are spot on sir. I actually just found those after doing a kextcache -system-cache and parsing through the error'd kext files. This is indeed the product of a Lion install via those utilities. I'm wondering now if I should just try to do a full, fresh install and migrate my data over from another disk. I came super close in getting 10.8.2 working, but then got a Logitec error. I've gotten over my frustration and am now back at documenting everything I'm doing. Knowing where those kext files came from though helps me. I wasn't sure about the source. Oh, and as you have pointed out, OemSMBIOS.kext was a thorn in my side at many points during my "experimentation."

Thanks much! I'll report back with more infos. I think given the change in hardware a fresh install is a good idea.

t

You are spot on sir. I actually just found those after doing a kextcache -system-cache and parsing through the error'd kext files. This is indeed the product of a Lion install via those utilities. I'm wondering now if I should just try to do a full, fresh install and migrate my data over from another disk. I came super close in getting 10.8.2 working, but then got a Logitec error. I've gotten over my frustration and am now back at documenting everything I'm doing. Knowing where those kext files came from though helps me. I wasn't sure about the source. Oh, and as you have pointed out, OemSMBIOS.kext was a thorn in my side at many points during my "experimentation."

Thanks much! I'll report back with more infos. I think given the change in hardware a fresh install is a good idea.

t

WOOT! It's done. For the first time in the history of the galaxy this system is running a fully-patched (applications, server app, etc) version of 10.8.2!! Man, it felt so good to watch it boot. So the whole problem actually was manifested in my 10.8.1 install. As you may recall, I was getting the ITEIT87.kext error, and the "IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 0 already taken" errors both in 10.8.1 and in the 10.8.2 update. In 10.8.1, running MB 5.1.2 and updating FakeSMC.kext only would generate an error. That is when I would run "kextcache -system-cache" and "kextcache -update-volume /" in order to generate the error messages for the unlinked (or whatever) kext files listed above, and contained in the following terminal output:

Last login: Fri Nov 16 14:01:27 on ttys000
black:~ thor2$ sudo kextcache -system-cache
Password:
black:~ thor2$ sudo kextcache -update-volume /
WinbondW836x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
WinbondW836x.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
RadeonX.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
RadeonX.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
NVClockX.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NVClockX.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
NuvotonNCT677x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NuvotonNCT677x.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
NSCPC8739x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NSCPC8739x.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
ITEIT87x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
ITEIT87x.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
IntelCPUMonitor.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
IntelCPUMonitor.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
FintekF718x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
FintekF718x.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
ACPISensors.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
ACPISensors.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
RadeonX.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NVClockX.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NuvotonNCT677x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NSCPC8739x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
ITEIT87x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
IntelCPUMonitor.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
FintekF718x.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
ACPISensors.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
Prelink failed for org.mozodojo.WinbondW836x; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[806] exited with status 71.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.
black:~ thor2$

Deleting these and rebuilding worked - however the kicker was that (as mentioned above) OemSMBIOS.kext was not mentioned, and frankly I forgot to delete the little bastard before rebooting. Once I rebooted with that guy there, there was no going back. Now, I tried deleting it by booting into another partition and for whatever reason that didn't work. I came close to saying fsck it (see what I did there?) but thing morning started all over again with a fresh restore.

::So, working 10.8.1 install.
::Re-installed FakeSMC.kext -- this fails. Rebuild cache, delete references, rebuild again, re-install FakeSMC (MB5.1.2) and it works.
::*Delete OemSMBIOS.kext before rebooting even though it wasn't in the list*
::Rebuilt again. (I got a bit rebuild happy, but I wanted to make triple-dog sure).
::Rebooted and everything was good. Caches happy, everyone happy.
::Installed 10.8.2 combo - before restarting installed (upgraded) FakeSMC.kext - this succeeded. Oh, did Bootloader too just for S&G.
::Rebuilt cache again. Also repaired permissions. Sacrificed a lamb to the ghost of Jobs.
::Rebooted, and it came up!!! Wooty woot! Updated all apps that have been waiting for me.
::Rebuilt cache again.
::Rebooted again, everything came up, came here to update as I know you've all been terribly worried.

So I'm at 10.8.2, but I've only upgraded FakeSMC.kext. Experience has shown me that all the Misc work, the Disk work, but something in System hosed me yesterday. Before I go down that road, I'm doing a full Hot Tub backup as well as a Carbon Copy backup.

Thanks guys!!!

I strongly recommend you a fresh install using latest MB after you have finished with your copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back