Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Really need help with ML IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice hang on boot [SOLVED]

[SOLVED - SEE POST 16]
Hey guys - I normally try to solve all these types of problems on my own, but I could really use some help on this one. I'll try to keep the "story" short enough to hold your interest...

I had an Asus P9X79 LGA2011 12core, 16gig, dual ATI 6839s, SSD hard drives and SATA2 drives for my "Hot Tub" partitions used for Time Machine (Get it? Hot Tub Time Machine???). It ran Lion flawlessly, and likewise ran ML in the same manner (10.8.1). Installing the 10.8.2 update hosed me as it did many a Hackintosh. Depending on what I did, it hung on boot at the 'IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 0 already taken" or the "ITEIT87x: found ITEIT8728F still waiting for device" errors. At this point, I could boot into safe mode, etc, but MBeast failed on install. I saw a post about someone upgrading their Asus BIOS and fixing the problem. I did so, and it made it worse. I couldn't boot into safe mode or anything trying all flags.

So I figured screw it and bought a Gigabyte X79-UD5 motherboard as I saw it was the recommended board for Hackintosh systems. However, much to my (and my $350's) dismay, I got the exact same error. I tried all manner of things: restoring my ML 10.8.1 backup which worked just fine, and going through one-by-one and installing kext files with MB and rebooting. I think it was the USB 3.0 kext that started the trouble again.

Looking through other posts I saw references to PXHCP.kext (or something) but I didn't have that one. I also deleted the OEMsmbios.kext (again, whatever it was - that's from memory). I tried using kextcache utility to rebuild, and I would get some errors about unlinked kext files, delete those, and would get farther, but the damned thing always ended up at the freaking IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 0 already taken error.

Again, I couldn't get into the system with -s or all the other flags. I have several Lion and ML partitions on my Passport USB drive, and I can boot into those just fine. This actually surprised me, as a Windows machine could never boot on different hardware like that without exploding, leading to my untimely and tragic death.

I've now restored a backup of 10.8.1, and am standing by for someone to take pity on me and tell me wtf to do now. *OH* another quick question... When I boot of the Unibeast USB and go to the installer, and then go to the Terminal utility, I can get to my SSD OSX partition, but it is read only. I've tried "mount -uw" and other things like mounting to a different mount point, and those commands succeed without error, but the partition remain read only. Knowing how to get that guy read-write would be awesome.

That's where I am. Please help. Thank you.

t

Interesting update - maybe this will help. I restored my 10.8.1 install as per above. It boots just fine with no flags. However, if I use the classic -x -v GraphicsEnabler=no PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000, I actually get a hang at ITEIT87x again. Same with -s. But not with a normal boot. That's odd to me. Thanks.

What is the BIOS version on your GA board. Try using a regular drive and use USB 2.0 port with UniBeast. Not the USB 3.0. Also you have an ATI 6XXX GPU which is known to have issues on ML install. There is a fix here in the forum.

What is the BIOS version on your GA board. Try using a regular drive and use USB 2.0 port with UniBeast. Not the USB 3.0. Also you have an ATI 6XXX GPU which is known to have issues on ML install. There is a fix here in the forum.

Hey, thanks.

It's the latest stable build 12F or something (from memory, away from my desk). There are 3 revisions past mine, but they are all beta and I didn't want to go there.

I've only used the USB2.0 from the get-go. The 3.0 on the Asus actually didn't work, so I'm used to using the 2.0 ports. I've only got UBstick, mouse, and keyboard in.

I indeed have the ATI 6XXX (2 of them) in the system, but since they run fine in ML 10.8.1, I didn't worry about that - also, they post in -v just fine. However, now that you say that, when I only have 1 card in the system, I can't get to the installation screen booting from UB to install. Just a white screen. I know the menu screen is there, it's just on a screen that doesn't exist. When I put both cards, I can see it. Odd.

I did an update, and wanted to make sure you saw that - I can boot directly into my restored 10.8.1 with no flags, but when I do the standard flags I get the hang at ITEIT87x. Again, odd.

OK - I've done all of the above; both the perl statements and the chown statement. Repaired permissions as well. This is the restored 10.8.1 backup. I still get the ITEIT87x hang *IF* I boot with -x, etc. I compared my org.chameleon.boot, and it was the same as what boot flags I was using *except* for -x. Everything works (haven't tried -s yet. I should have before posting this). The only thing I've reloaded from MB 5.0.2 is the audio driver as it is different from my Asus P9X79.

Knowing this, I'm going to go ahead and load 10.8.2 Combo update. I'm not sure what I'll update using MB 5.1.2, but I'm tempted to try to reboot after the 10.8.2 combo though I guess I'm not "supposed" to. I think at that point I'll actually get the IOUSBController error as per the title. I'm writing everything down for reference. Loading now; see you on the other side!

t

Found the guide that allowed me to install with ATI 6870 GPU. Here it is http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html. Sorry i did not find it sooner.

No need to apologize - I really appreciate you taking the time to find it!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but both cards work just fine, and have been in ML up to 10.8.1. There's never been an issue - as such, I shouldn't be messing about with a fix, right?

Regarding this "ITEIT87x" issue, I think I've been looking at this incorrectly: When the system displays the message, it is a "this succeeded" indication, and not a "I'm about to try this" right? If so, then I've been errantly viewing this. I want to start off simply here - I restored my backup and can get into the system with the boot.plist (posted earlier).

Starting with -s works.
Starting with -s -x it locks at "ITEIT87x: found ITE IT8728F." I'm thinking ITEIT87x succeeded.
Staring with -s again in an attempt to see what follows ITEx I get variations in the chronological order of the messages.
x t
So, starting over here, how do I find out what is locking after ITEx? It's odd that it starts normally with everything except -x. I'd like to fix this before moving on to the 10.8.2 update. Thanks!

Staring with -s again in an attempt to see what follows ITEx I get variations in the chronological order of the messages.
The ITEx is one of the old plugins for FakeSMC. They provide hardware info. But they are also very problematic and have been replaced in newer versions of Multibeast. I'm going to speculate that it is loading the plugins and one of them is hanging the system. I would suggest removing the plugins and then use the latest Multibeast to install the new FakeSMC kext and the new plugins, that is if you think you need those plugins. Otherwise, just remove the old ones.

The plugins are hidden inside the FakeSMC kext in a folder called Plugins.

Boot -s and then when you see the "root" prompt:

Code:
Type:  mount -uw /
Type:  cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type:  cd FakeSMC.kext/Contents
Type:  rm -rf Plugins
Type:  cd /System/Library
Type:  touch Extensions
Type:  reboot

The ITEx is one of the old plugins for FakeSMC. They provide hardware info. But they are also very problematic and have been replaced in newer versions of Multibeast. I'm going to speculate that it is loading the plugins and one of them is hanging the system. I would suggest removing the plugins and then use the latest Multibeast to install the new FakeSMC kext and the new plugins, that is if you think you need those plugins. Otherwise, just remove the old ones.

The plugins are hidden inside the FakeSMC kext in a folder called Plugins.

Boot -s and then when you see the "root" prompt:

Code:
Type:  mount -uw /
Type:  cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type:  cd FakeSMC.kext/Contents
Type:  rm -rf Plugins
Type:  cd /System/Library
Type:  touch Extensions
Type:  reboot

That's the thing - there *IS* no /Contents/Plugins in my FakeSMC.kext. Just MacOS and Resources. I've got 10.8.1 so I'm using MB 5.0.2. Should I go ahead and use 5.1.2's FakeSMC.kext file? Should I ignore this and install the 10.8.2 combo and then 5.1.2?

t

Back in the days of Multibeast 4.6.0/4.6.1, some of the plugins were placed right in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Look for ITEIT87x.kext there. If you find that, then there are probably other plugins there:

ACPISensors.kext
FintekF718x.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
ITEIT87x.kext
NSCPC8739x.kext
NuvotonNCT677x.kext
OemSMBIOS.kext <== a particular problem
WinbondW836x.kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back